What now?

Jourdan

January is in the books and the squad is largely unchanged, so Cocu has to work with what he has got until the summer.

After last night’s massive win, where does that leave people’s expectations for the rest of the season?

Obviously the outcome of the FFP case leaves us with a lot of uncertainty off the pitch, but we can still control what happens on it.

What would you like to see in the remaining 16 games?

For me:

1. Continue playing Clarke, Bogle, Lowe, Bird, Knight and Holmes. It’s refreshing to watch this team and so many young players making their mark.

2. Stick with Wisdom at CB and see if he can make the position his own. Under the strain of FFP, we have to make the most of existing resources and look for solutions from within.

3. Give Chris Martin as much game time as possible. He’s still our best striker and deserves the chance to earn a new contract.

4. Take up Forsyth’s one year option - he’s a model pro, a team player and provides competition for places with Lowe.

5. Scout abroad. Te Wierik is a start. But let’s see even more imagination in the transfer market, especially as we are on a tight, ever shrinking budget. Top players in Leagues 1 and 2 are going for millions, so we have to think outside of the box more than ever.

6. Look to convince Matt Clarke and Brighton to extend his loan. He’s had a solid year with us and with more and more experience at this level under his belt, he can only go from strength to strength.

7. Re-introduce Roos as first choice goalkeeper. Much like with Wisdom, we have to make the most of our resources.

8. Positive football. I repeat, positive football.

9. Improve the away form. With nine games left, let’s see some improvement. More points picked up, more battling and cohesive performances, more positive intent. Win or lose, let the fans take heart from what they are seeing.

10. Lay down a marker for next season with a strong finish. The threat of a points deduction makes a final position hard to nail down, and in any case the play-offs are surely a bridge too far.

But on average, we are winning 5 games in 15. It’d be great to see us improve on that and win 6-8 games between now and May and ruffle some feathers (who knows we get on a roll and it could be more). It’s all about carrying some momentum into next season.

And yes, it has to be said that if we see more of what we saw last night, Cocu will be converting those pesky doubters like myself in no time at all.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Second best home record in the league. We clearly aren’t a bad team at all and why we’re so awful away from home, I have no idea.

Even if our away form was “poor” we’d be in touching distance of the top six, it just so happens that it’s utterly dreadful and we’re comfortably mid-table.

The 2 main priorities for me are;

1. Get to 65 points as quickly as possible. My understanding is that based on FFP losses the maximum points deduction could be 12 points (9 points extra for cover up but we were very open in our intentions so no grounds for that). That would take us out of reach of the bottom 3 & also sets a realistic target for us to aim for.

2. Try and integrate Sibley & Whittaker into the side. Bird & Knight have developed so much from their time in the team, this season represents an opportunity to get the other 2 lads some substantial game time so they can make big contributions next season

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

January is in the books and the squad is largely unchanged, so Cocu has to work with what he has got until the summer.

After last night’s massive win, where does that leave people’s expectations for the rest of the season?

Obviously the outcome of the FFP case leaves us with a lot of uncertainty off the pitch, but we can still control what happens on it.

For me:

1. Continue playing Clarke, Bogle, Lowe, Bird, Knight and Holmes. It’s refreshing to watch this team and so many young players making their mark.

2. Stick with Wisdom at CB and see if he can make the position his own. Under the strain of FFP, we have to make the most of existing resources and look for solutions from within.

3. Give Chris Martin as much game time as possible. He’s still our best striker and deserves the chance to earn a new contract.

4. Take up Forsyth’s one year option - he’s a model pro, a team player and provides competition for places with Lowe.

5. Scout abroad. Te Wierik is a start. But let’s see even more imagination in the transfer market, especially as we are on a tight, ever shrinking budget. Top players in Leagues 1 and 2 are going for millions, so we have to think outside of the box more than ever.

6. Look to convince Matt Clarke and Brighton to extend his loan. He’s had a solid year with us and with more and more experience at this level under his belt, he can only go from strength to strength.

7. Re-introduce Roos as first choice goalkeeper. Much like with Wisdom, we have to make the most of our resources.

9. Improve the away form. With nine games left, let’s see some improvement. More points picked up, more battling and cohesive performances, more positive intent. Win or lose, let the fans take heart from what they are seeing.

10. Lay down a marker for next season with a strong finish. The threat of a points deduction makes a final position hard to nail down, and in any case the play-offs are surely a bridge too far.

But on average, we are winning 5 games in 15. It’d be great to see us improve on that and win 6-8 games between now and May and ruffle some feathers (who knows we get on a roll and it could be more). It’s all about carrying some momentum into next season.

And yes, it has to be said that if we see more of what we saw last night, Cocu will be converting those pesky doubters like myself in no time at all.

Why would you want Roos as the number one keeper when he’s clearly not good enough? I agree on Fozzy and most of your other points.

7 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

Why would you want Roos as the number one keeper when he’s clearly not good enough? I agree on Fozzy and most of your other points.

Maybe he can develop given the manager’s full backing?

And well like I said, the finances are tight, so surely it’s better to use what limited funds we do have to address other parts of the squad, like signing a genuine winger?

9 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Maybe he can develop given the manager’s full backing?

And well like I said, the finances are tight, so surely it’s better to use what limited funds we do have to address other parts of the squad, like signing a genuine winger?

More of a case for signing Hamer than restoring Roos.

I like the accuracy Hamer gets with his long kicking. Sets up a few threatening attack’s per game often.

17 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

More of a case for signing Hamer than restoring Roos.

I like the accuracy Hamer gets with his long kicking. Sets up a few threatening attack’s per game often.

Hamer has done OK, certainly not disgraced himself.

But he was never signed for the long term, was he?

If we are going to sign a goalkeeper, surely Cocu will bring in someone entirely new? His own man?

3 hours ago, Jourdan said:

2. Stick with Wisdom at CB and see if he can make the position his own.

But also put him in at right back whenever possible and see what else Bogle can do in front of him. Bogle could be a £50m international right winger yet.

49 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

If we are going to sign a goalkeeper, surely Cocu will bring in someone entirely new? His own man?

Don’t disagree. But if exactly what he wanted was not available then Hamer could be a low cost plan B.

What I really mean is don’t recall Roos

3 hours ago, Jourdan said:

For me:

Great post. Just Swap 9  with 1 and put it in bold capital letters like that IMPROVE AWAY FORMS. 

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

Surely he was originally signed as backup for Roos (no permanent signings available at the right price at the time?) but has proved to be much better. 

I like him and think we could do an awful lot worse (and probably not much better for a reasonable price).

40 minutes ago, Mckram said:

Agree with all the points except 7.

As a keeper you’ve either got the commanding presence or you haven’t, he hasn’t.

Agree. That's the only point for me too. 

Roos might just need a good run in winning team so he doesn't feel under so much pressure. A strong defence he has a good understanding with. 

I don't feel confident that he will catch something, his punching is a bit iffy and I don't know whether he does bizarre dives for off target shots because he doesn't know where his goal is or he just likes diving about?

Yesterday Stoke had a shot early on that went across Hamer and he dived fully extended before pulling his arms in to let it go wide. It wasn't miles wide but he just knew it was wide.

I've seen Roos do elaborate dives for stuff that is barely looking threatening as soon as it's been hit. 

I think it's been a pressure season for both. Roos certainly since that daft low attempted catch at Wembley and Hamer because he flapped a few times after stepping in.

But Hamer seems to be coming through it now. Looks confident. Looks like a #1. 

4 hours ago, Jourdan said:

For me:

Good points except for No 7.  Roos is one of the worst keepers I've ever seen....truly awful

1 hour ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Great post. Just Swap 9  with 1 and put it in bold capital letters like that IMPROVE AWAY FORMS. 

I know our keepers haven't been great, but I can't see that putting Waghorn in goal and putting the keeper at centre forward, is the answer. ?

3 hours ago, derbydaz22 said:

I agree. Roos isn’t ready. He needs a season out on loan. We need a solid stopper and I thing Hamer is definitely good enough for the Championship. He’s out of contract at the end of the season isn’t he?

these next 16 games could be like the 9 games when rowett took over from mac2

Treading water, waiting for the points deduction and the next transfer window.

We will need to find a way to Identify and bring in the new players we need, and exit those who aren’t  part of our future plans.

that remains the biggest challenge

I’m not sure that we really have a clear strategy or vision of what we are trying to build

Archived