Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Letting CM19 go is a mistake. That’s not based on sentiment because “I like him”. We should have kept him. He’s proven. It goes down in the great big book of Derby County mistakes which comprises, Inter Alia

1. signing Anya and giving him a fat contract

2. Signing Nick Blackman

3. Not selecting Bryson at Wembley v QPR

4. Hiring Nigel Pearson

5. Hiring Phil Brown

6. Hiring Tommy Docherty

7. Accepting Clough & Taylor’s resignation

8. Not checking Esteban Fuertes’s passport

9. . . .  selling Will Hughes for 8 shillings and sixpence

10. Not starting Marriott v Villa @ Wembley

?

Dont really have a major opinion either way but what does 'he's proven' even mean?

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Dont really have a major opinion either way but what does 'he's proven' even mean?

It means that when we click as a Team it’s because we play properly and he becomes the CPU eg Sheff Wed away, Blackburn at home as the most recent examples. 

9 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

It means that when we click as a Team it’s because we play properly and he becomes the CPU eg Sheff Wed away, Blackburn at home as the most recent examples. 

They are matches from March and before.

Surely more relevant examples are when we played team that we want to be competing with and Martin was pretty much a passenger?

Now that is not a dig at Martin, because he may not have been getting the service.

Surely we want someone that clicks a majority of the time though rather than sporadically?

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

They are matches from March and before.

Surely more relevant examples are when we played team that we want to be competing with and Martin was pretty much a passenger?

Now that is not a dig at Martin, because he may not have been getting the service.

Surely we want someone that clicks a majority of the time though rather than sporadically?

Yes. But he’s not a one man team. 

8 hours ago, Andicis said:

I have zero faith we'll replace Martin, we've tried loads of strikers since him and none of them have even come close to being as good as him. 

Maybe we should retire the position and play with ten

There’s been the odd squabble about Martin on this thread, all I want to say is thank you Chris Martin, most of the fans loved you, you were pivotal in the MAC years to everything good about fluid, attacking football and a lynchpin for us to build attacks around.

So many happy memories, not least a footie my lad will treasure at your side as his childhood hero. Shame other managers didn’t see what you offered and tough you had a bad bout of illness to curtail your goal scoring stats, or I’m sure you would be even higher on our lists.

So all the best to the guy, he served us well.

Infact, I've had a beer so I'll let the fingers do the talking...

For me, Martin leaving is everything you need to know about where we are as a football club right now.

I get that Derby have decided to offer lower wages and we arent being bent over a barrel, but, why?

I'll tell why...

Martin is as close to a Derby legend as we have had for a long long time, 7 years, 70 odd goals, look over the history books, this type of player doesnt come a long very often In recent times. He probably wanted to retire with us, we know he is happy in the area.

But, due to poor decision, after poor decision, after poor decision and trust me I could go on and on, then mixed with Covid, we find ourselves in a position where as a club we have to say, thanks Chris, we look forward to you scoring a winner against us next season.

The fact we gave Martin a 4 year deal on 30k a week whilst at Fulham screwed us. The fact we offered Blackman 28k a week screwed us.

Our club has been a shambolic poo show for years and its only because Covid has hit, they have an excuse to hide their balls ups.

Its obviously sad. He's been around the club for 7 years & is another cog of the bright 13/14 side to fall off.

My angle is a bit different though insofar as Im confused why he's chosen to go. Dont doubt for a second the money we offered him wasnt as good as he'd hoped but is he seriously exepcting a flood of better offers to come his way? He suits a particular type of football (in an era of gegenpress & hardworking strikers) & this is probably the worst economic climate to be looking for a big payday from a new club.

There's also the role he's chosen to walk away from. After a slow start, Cocu was inclined to trust him as his main CF & Martin must surely have looked at the emerging youth and thought the ability and energy is there to both push for top 6 & suit his style of play. Huddlestone's exit I could understand because there are a number of CM/DMs ahead of him & Rooney would always get the nod as the experienced head there. Martin on the other hand had the chance to be first choice next season in a team looking to go places. Odd decision to leave now.

3 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

That isn’t easy to work out, when we’ve stagnated it’s hard to let go, and let’s face it poor management would have meant that the money could have been wasted too, but I do feel it’s an important thing we have got wrong. Not just the club itself, but the fans on how we hang on to our favourites that encourage that. We need to begin to understand it’s sometimes best for all involved to move on and now may be one of those times

This bit is spot on. 

I also don’t think it applies just to Derby, getting the timing right for a fan favourite to leave is so hard. 

I thought we held on to Bryson a season or two too long, the same was going to happen with Martin.

Poor analogy time, it’s almost like putting your dog or cat to sleep, it’s hard to say goodbye but you know it’s the right thing as you don’t want to watch them suffer.

So many memories but it’s about doing the right thing. I wish nothing but the best for Martin going forward, I really do hope he gets the deal he’s looking for and proves he’s still got it. 

At the same time I’m slightly relieved that the ghost of 13/14 is almost gone. That season was one of the best many of us will remember, understandable why some find it so hard to let go, but we must and look forward to the next generation which lets be honest, is a little exciting!

1 minute ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Its obviously sad. He's been around the club for 7 years & is another cog of the bright 13/14 side to fall off.

My angle is a bit different though insofar as Im confused why he's chosen to go. Dont doubt for a second the money we offered him wasnt as good as he'd hoped but is he seriously exepcting a flood of better offers to come his way? He suits a particular type of football (in an era of gegenpress & hardworking strikers) & this is probably the worst economic climate to be looking for a big payday from a new club.

There's also the role he's chosen to walk away from. After a slow start, Cocu was inclined to trust him as his main CF & Martin must surely have looked at the emerging youth and thought the ability and energy is there to both push for top 6 & suit his style of play. Huddlestone's exit I could understand because there are a number of CM/DMs ahead of him & Rooney would always get the nod as the experienced head there. Martin on the other hand had the chance to be first choice next season in a team looking to go places. Odd decision to leave now.

Depends on the offer, but on the whole I agree.

This may not be the end yet, he's quite entitled to test the market, and we're correct to stick to an offer that we believe is fair.

Whatever happens I wish him well.

Archived