Max Bird

dazzadcfc

On the subject of Max Bird, please can anyone remember the article that came out after Derby U23 beat Chelsea U23 in the Premier League in 2017? 

I think a Chelsea coach said that Bird was the best player on the pitch - it may have been paraphrased from one of our coaches or Mel Morris. I believe he was 16 at the time, directly up against Mason Mount who is a couple years older. 

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

On the subject of Max Bird, please can anyone remember the article that came out after Derby U23 beat Chelsea U23 in the Premier League in 2017? 

I think a Chelsea coach said that Bird was the best player on the pitch - it may have been paraphrased from one of our coaches or Mel Morris. I believe he was 16 at the time, directly up against Mason Mount who is a couple years older. 

Think it was Mel at a fans’ forum

11 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

That was the class that Charlie had. Despite not playing he was still the best player. 

I remember standing on the popside when Charlie George hit a crossfield pass that went sailing 20 yards over Terry Curran's head and out for a throw.

Someone shouted "Bloody jump Curran".

Charlie could do no wrong (apart from sign for that team whose name escapes me) ?

That pass to Lawrence deserves special recognition all on its own... the vision to spot that as the best option In amongst all the other more obvious passes is the clearest sign Bird is going to the very top. Incredible awareness for such a young lad. He’s Such an intelligent player, he’s got that special knack of knowing everything that’s going on around him as soon as he receives the ball - that is exactly what distinguishes top players from the rest.

It was another very good game by him today, his passing as usual was absolutely spot on and he’s starting to gain a bigger influence going forward as well as a creative force. His defensive positioning was pretty good too. Frankly, I’m struggling to see a weakness in his game now. He’s like every type of midfielder rolled into one. If he keeps up the levels of composure on the ball he’s been showing the past few games, then he’ll rise to be one of the top CDMs at this level very quickly imo.

6 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

That pass to Lawrence deserves special recognition all on its own... the vision to spot that as the best option In amongst all the other more obvious passes is the clearest sign Bird is going to the very top. Incredible awareness for such a young lad. He’s Such an intelligent player, he’s got that special knack of knowing everything that’s going on around him as soon as he receives the ball - that is exactly what distinguishes top players from the rest.

It was another very good game by him today, his passing as usual was absolutely spot on and he’s starting to gain a bigger influence going forward as well as a creative force. His defensive positioning was pretty good too. Frankly, I’m struggling to see a weakness in his game now. He’s like every type of midfielder rolled into one. If he keeps up the levels of composure on the ball he’s been showing the past few games, then he’ll rise to be one of the top CDMs at this level very quickly imo.

Shooting and getting power behind his long range passing are the only weaknesses I can think of.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Shooting and getting power behind his long range passing are the only weaknesses I can think of.

He can improve his heading quite a bit as well but he certainly has more strengths than weaknesses.

He's a prime George Thorne in making.  Excellent talent and great to watch.

I'd like him to play the odd splitting pass through midfield the lines when the chance arises as it has done in the last couple of games, but that will come with time.

8 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I adored the ball speed on that pass to Lawrence.

Worried that Utd are going to buy him in Summer after he bosses them, plus Rooney's rave reviews.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Not so sure on the former after that strike last night!

Do agree on the latter probably though. Think that passing range is probably something that comes a bit with experience, and getting used to weighting them correctly. I said before I think that he’d probably benefit from working with Huddlestone on learning how he does his trademark “switch” long pass which he digs out in tight spaces so often. That would probably add that final dimension to Bird’s game.

14 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I adored the ball speed on that pass to Lawrence.

Worried that Utd are going to buy him in Summer after he bosses them, plus Rooney's rave reviews.

Yeah I’m a little concerned as well. You’d have to think that United is a massive step up from this level, but if he keeps this form up then he’s deffo a prem class player.

57 minutes ago, cj9a408 said:

He's a prime George Thorne in making.  Excellent talent and great to watch.

I'd like him to play the odd splitting pass through midfield the lines when the chance arises as it has done in the last couple of games, but that will come with time.

ACL injury/never the same after incoming........................

Archived