Max Bird

dazzadcfc

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s interesting that Bielik gets a long term injury, Evans doesn’t look good enough and we don’t sign any first teamers in the Jan transfer window.

Bird, therefore, gets game time out of necessity and last night was my MOTM.

Maybe not signing any new players, or loaning other teams young players and giving them game time, is a blessing in disguise.

Hopefully the example set by Bird forces Cocu’s hand and he gives more games to the promising crop of U23’s.

These are the lads we should be building next season’s team around.

40 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Nobody mentions that Max lost his Dad suddenly in the Summer. Lots of leeway given to Lawrence, but I'm proud of how Max has handled it the right way. If he had the odd bad game in August, we should realise he had his reasons. 

And I believe Cocu really said he wasn't mentally ready and was finding it tough. 

Rooney has named him twice now in post game interviews. Don't think it gets better than that.

He seems to have arrived. Maybe ultimately it will be bielik and bird in the holding positions?

knight is the best of the crop for me but bird is excellent.
Plays the holding role at a higher tempo than others. 

54 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Nobody mentions that Max lost his Dad suddenly in the Summer. Lots of leeway given to Lawrence, but I'm proud of how Max has handled it the right way. If he had the odd bad game in August, we should realise he had his reasons. 

Well said buddy 

I bet his dad is looking down proud as punch of him too 

as we all are 

good on u max 

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Its astonishing to think Bird was hauled off at Sunthorpe in August, with Cocu questioning his ability to adapt to the men's game. What a turnaround.

Our key problem in November & December was our inability to control possession in midfield. I knew Rooney would solve some of that but thought we needed another player comfortable on the ball in the centre of the park. I suspected Cocu would look to the foreign market, never guessed the answer was sat in our under 23s.

Max has clearly benefitted from bulking up a little which allied to his intelligence, turn of pace, bravery to get on the ball and quality, is going to turn him into one of the best midfielders in this division. Love watching him play & very excited by his potential. My type of footballer.

Good point about Scunthorpe. I was there and Cocu did the right thing really, he was getting swarmed in midfield and he was well off it. 

Next seasons midfield all of a sudden looks very strong. Given Rooney is going to be playing near enough every game, you’d think, it means at least one of Bielik, Bird and Holmes would be missing out there. Personally I doubt there are many better midfielders in the league than Holmes (wouldn’t surprise me if there is serious Prem interest in the summer) so it may be that Bielik drops back to CB.

Thats before you even get on to Knight and Sibley. Lots of good options. 

2 minutes ago, desirelines said:

Are Bird, Knight, and Sibley gonna be our new Thorne, Bryson, and Hughes? 

Nah. Bird, Holmes and Rooney will be. Knight and Sibley have to adjust playing on the wing.

Edit. To think that we are missing Hudds, Bielik and Shinnie through injuries and send Powell & Paterson packing... some might get sold.

I think this lad is outstanding.iv been watching max for some years now and he is starting to fulfil his potential.some of the young lads is the reason for getting no one in, cocu is sticking to his guns and has said there is no point bringing in someone that will block one of our kids.max has done very well but dont underestimate the influence of cocu on him.each player has an individual progression plan from the U16 up to the first team(and even younger i think).yes things have been a little slow and lacking in the first team this season but what is happening now is what has needed to happen for some seasons but we have only just found a manager that is willing to but his head on the block to achieve this.time and patience is need guys.this season will be hard but watch out for next season because with these kids and cocu the future looks very bright for the long term.

2 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Didnt realise that, even more credit to him. Must have been really tough mentally to overcome that AND develop the way he has this season.

He deserves all the success that's coming his way.

He was fantastic yesterday. The thing that stood out above all the other things he did well was when we were 2-0 up and Stoke were starting to come back in to the game and we seemed to be bereft of people wanting to put their stamp on the game. Bird collected the ball near the edge of our area, strode  forward, broke a few challenges and played a great ball in for Lawrence, who in turn was fouled.

Such a mature phase of play, great quality and skill. 

From the free kick we score and put the game to bed. 

Sublime. 

Tell you what he’s coming on a bit....unsung hero sort of stuff - like that 

very encouraging to get these lads in - but don’t over play them or think you can blood all of them At once 

they  have to be ready - physically and mentally 

must be great playing with a Rooney at 18-20 years old

1 hour ago, irobinson said:

must be great playing with a Rooney at 18-20 years old

To have an absolute footballing legend such as a Rooney as your wing man at his age must be amazing. You can’t put a price on the benefit he must be getting from the situation. He’s living the dream. All down to him to make the most of it. 

He’s literally doubled in size in the last 12 months. He needed to and now looks the real deal. His vision is outstanding, beat the stoke press with a pass on numerous occasions last night (like a certain mr Hughes did regularly) that coupled with a physique now reminiscent of Jeff Hendrick - we have a player.

With Bird Bogle Lowe and Knight can’t remember us having so many gems at the same time. 

I really hope we’re on the verge of something special but the longer a team stays in this league the harder it gets. Good players will always move to the premier league and you can’t stand in their way, like we couldn’t for will and Jeff.

I think next season needs to be our year otherwise we risk losing this latest crop and we’re then hoping there’s another batch coming through.

Archived