We need to be patient

CambridgeRam

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

To be fair tho,Luton are bottom of the league because they find it extremely difficult to beat anyone.

Yes, and we regularly over the years have lost to these teams. I don't know why people are ignoring our great run of form over one fixture. Not a great result, so we forget all the good we had been doing and call for the manager out? 

Yes we lost to the bottom team but it's not like it never happens to any other club & last night didn't hurt nearly as much as this one:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43510071

2018: Derby 1-4 Sunderland (they were bottom)

I remember being so disgusted & angry with the team during that match that I was willing Sunderland to score a couple more because we were that bad.

3 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Yes we lost to the bottom team but it's not like it never happens to any other club & last night didn't hurt nearly as much as this one:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43510071

2018: Derby 1-4 Sunderland (they were bottom)

I remember being so disgusted & angry with the team during that match that I was willing Sunderland to score a couple more because we were that bad.

And the slow realisation setting in that Thorne had all but gone as a Championship player ?

6 hours ago, CambridgeRam said:

I think Ryan Conway mentioned back in November that work on the upcoming summer window was already well under way. 

Yeah and the club we’re going to conduct their transfer business early in this January window. Personally I’m finding it more and more difficult to believe any of the bolleau that comes out of the club lately.

6 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Good post.. We only disagree on one thing. Morris may well be 'one of us' whatever that means but the financial and strategic mismanagement of DCFC during his tenure, is purely down to him. I worried when a 'fan' took over and nothing he has done since then has installed any confidence in the man.

Undeniably, Mel has made several strategic errors. The biggest being betting the house (or stadium!!) on promotion. In my opinion, despite the errors, he has made them in good faith and seems to be learning on the job... 

35 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Welcome to the Forum Mel....sorry CambridgeRam cough cough.

Mines a Sausage sandwich please.

Oh and keep the faith, it will all come good in the end.

Red sauce or brown @Hintons boots? shall we arrange to have it at the training ground...

19 minutes ago, CambridgeRam said:

Undeniably, Mel has made several strategic errors. The biggest being betting the house (or stadium!!) on promotion. In my opinion, despite the errors, he has made them in good faith and seems to be learning on the job... 

Slow learner. Don’t deny he made them in good faith. A fool and his money. 

7 hours ago, CambridgeRam said:

I have contemplated starting a thread on the need for patience at various points over the past couple of years. Firstly, when things were dire under Pearson, I felt that we needed to hold our nerve and let him mould the club on and off the field, in a similar way to how he had in his previous jobs. For example, a lot of the sports science now used at Leicester is built upon foundations that he implemented. Under Lampard, I nearly wrote calling for the need to be patient when he took the job as a rookie and again around Christmas time when there was wild chatter of us storming the automatics, aided by some January business.

However, I think the need for patience is required more now than at any point since our relegation in 2008. The problems the club faces can be distilled down into one issue, the club bet the house on us being promoted before now. The spending spree under Clement was executed in order to propel us to the promised land. Anya's lucrative stay in a Derby Travelodge would be irrelevant if we had been promoted before now. The club's inventive amortisation policy is designed to kick the risk of the short term gambles into a time when they predict that our financial landscape would be transformed by Premier League football. The merits of this gamble is a different issue. Some see Mel as one of us and doing exactly what we all dream of doing, yet some see him as a megalomaniac figure. For what its worth, I fall into the former category rather than the latter. This does not mean that he is absolved from any share of the blame however, but I would say that he has and does act with Derby County's best interest at heart.

The gamble has backfired spectacularly and this is why we need to be patient. Cocu is the manager  who was in the chair when the music stopped and a different approach has been adopted as result. I know the term 'transition' is a contested one within football, however it is undeniable that we are now in the middle of a period of transition. Look at the promotion of youth and the players that have left and will be leaving over the next 12 months. The approach to transfer windows has (thankfully) changed. I was pleased to see us loan Paterson and Hamer rather than be held to ransom for permanent signings that weren't our first choice, regardless of their on-field performances. January has been a frustrating month, Cocu's reaction to questions about it shows that, but again the club has adopted a more diligent approach of identifying top targets and holding out for quality over quantity. I think Ryan Conway mentioned back in November that work on the upcoming summer window was already well under way. This approach makes much more sense, when you ignore the bright lights of the play-offs or promotion. 

Despite my anger at last night's capitulation, I can see the green shoots of recovery from the gamble in Holmes, Knight, Lowe, Bogle, Bird, Bielik, Rooney, Whittaker, Sibley, Marriott et al, if Cocu is given the time required to build. Football is incredibly short sighted in the pursuit of glory, but we need to be patient as Derby try to organically create something that in time will hopefully get us to where we all want to be. 

The difficult times will make the good times even better. Football is cyclical in its nature, as we have to take ecstasy of that night in Leeds, with the sheer frustration of last night.

Hehe 12 years of patience 

56 minutes ago, CambridgeRam said:

His tenure didn't start well when he 'bet' the buying price of the club around whether or not we went up (we didn't but he paid more anyway?)...can't see what he's learnt tbh. Gave Cocu a four year deal. Spent big on Bielik. Got caught out by the EFL, we may or may not get away with it.

Assuming that we do not get any penalties this season from the EFL it would take a truly catastrophic final run of games to put us in the relegation zone. At the risk of foreshadowing, if we win five more games in that time we should have enough to stay up regardless of what happens elsewhere and in the other 12 games - you would back us to at worst achieve five wins and twelve losses!

But I don't think we need to be this drastic; we lost our first game in eight thanks to individual errors and a collective mentality loss in a crazy 20 minute spell. The players and more importantly Cocu will learn a lot from last night's game about themselves and each other. Despite this we've scored 5 in 3 away games in the league after previously being unable to hit a barn door, it stands to reason that tightening up our defence will start to yield results if we carry on in this manner. Plus, I actually think we are more likely to raise our game against teams above us than below us at the moment.

We need to forget about promotion altogether, forget about the play-offs. Let's just try and see what sticks this season and keep blooding the youth. We still haven't seen the best of Knight, Bird, Whittaker (to an extent Bogle and Lowe) and with players like Trialist, Sibley, Wilson, Buchanan etc. still to come properly into the setup regularly not all is lost. Take the small victories this season and look to a positive future.

1 hour ago, CambridgeRam said:

Red sauce or brown @Hintons boots? shall we arrange to have it at the training ground...

Nice one mate....can you deliver it by drone ?

1 hour ago, bimmerman said:

I did a cheeky wiki search

This was in my stage of disallusionment with football and being far too busy with getting my end away 

My bad

Yeah but you could still have had radio Derby on the ‘wireless’ or watched East Midlands Today on the tele box over her shoulder ..... no excuse for not following the mighty rams ??? ?

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

His tenure didn't start well when he 'bet' the buying price of the club around whether or not we went up (we didn't but he paid more anyway?)...can't see what he's learnt tbh. Gave Cocu a four year deal. Spent big on Bielik. Got caught out by the EFL, we may or may not get away with it.

Yes, when you put it like that it's more of the same, pretty much since Clement arrived and set the ball rolling.....

Archived