We need to be patient

CambridgeRam

I have contemplated starting a thread on the need for patience at various points over the past couple of years. Firstly, when things were dire under Pearson, I felt that we needed to hold our nerve and let him mould the club on and off the field, in a similar way to how he had in his previous jobs. For example, a lot of the sports science now used at Leicester is built upon foundations that he implemented. Under Lampard, I nearly wrote calling for the need to be patient when he took the job as a rookie and again around Christmas time when there was wild chatter of us storming the automatics, aided by some January business.

However, I think the need for patience is required more now than at any point since our relegation in 2008. The problems the club faces can be distilled down into one issue, the club bet the house on us being promoted before now. The spending spree under Clement was executed in order to propel us to the promised land. Anya's lucrative stay in a Derby Travelodge would be irrelevant if we had been promoted before now. The club's inventive amortisation policy is designed to kick the risk of the short term gambles into a time when they predict that our financial landscape would be transformed by Premier League football. The merits of this gamble is a different issue. Some see Mel as one of us and doing exactly what we all dream of doing, yet some see him as a megalomaniac figure. For what its worth, I fall into the former category rather than the latter. This does not mean that he is absolved from any share of the blame however, but I would say that he has and does act with Derby County's best interest at heart.

The gamble has backfired spectacularly and this is why we need to be patient. Cocu is the manager  who was in the chair when the music stopped and a different approach has been adopted as result. I know the term 'transition' is a contested one within football, however it is undeniable that we are now in the middle of a period of transition. Look at the promotion of youth and the players that have left and will be leaving over the next 12 months. The approach to transfer windows has (thankfully) changed. I was pleased to see us loan Paterson and Hamer rather than be held to ransom for permanent signings that weren't our first choice, regardless of their on-field performances. January has been a frustrating month, Cocu's reaction to questions about it shows that, but again the club has adopted a more diligent approach of identifying top targets and holding out for quality over quantity. I think Ryan Conway mentioned back in November that work on the upcoming summer window was already well under way. This approach makes much more sense, when you ignore the bright lights of the play-offs or promotion. 

Despite my anger at last night's capitulation, I can see the green shoots of recovery from the gamble in Holmes, Knight, Lowe, Bogle, Bird, Bielik, Rooney, Whittaker, Sibley, Marriott et al, if Cocu is given the time required to build. Football is incredibly short sighted in the pursuit of glory, but we need to be patient as Derby try to organically create something that in time will hopefully get us to where we all want to be. 

The difficult times will make the good times even better. Football is cyclical in its nature, as we have to take ecstasy of that night in Leeds, with the sheer frustration of last night.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

But we've LOST ONE MATCH IN 8 ffs!!!

Panic stations!

We lost to bottom of the table Luton who lost their last 5 games. Have a look at our upcoming fixtures and the factor in a points deduction, which is entirely possible.

Last nights result was huge and could have massive implications come the end of the season.

1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

We lost to bottom of the table Luton who lost their last 5 games. Have a look at our upcoming fixtures and the factor in a points deduction, which is entirely possible.

Last nights result was huge and could have massive implications come the end of the season.

Fair enough, I've forgotten all about the opening post. Change everything at the club.

You simply can't blame Cocu. What difference will it make if he's sacked and we bring someone else in? He's done a great job bringing youth into the side but let's be honest our squad is average. We are going to be treading water now at least until the EFL decision and then for another season. For me though concentrating on youth for the next couple of seasons is the way to go. We've all seen the result of trying to buy our way into the prem and look where its got us!

Keep going over old ground and round a round a garden excuse the pun

We are going massively backwards as a team and financially ,We may have some bright young players coming through but they are out there  depth at present,  Even if they do make the grade we will be looking to sell them off not to form a foundation for the next generation.

If all the players whos contract ends this summer do not get renewed we need around 6-7 decent players,were is that money coming from.

We will in the end bounce back im sure but could be some dark days ahead 

Cocu might be running out of patience. Players are poor and the investment hasn't happened yet. Plus nobody will buy Lawrence.

Underneath all of that it sounds like he is piecing his project together, but is it really worth it (for him)? He must be wondering.

5 minutes ago, Rams-in-Spain said:

For me though concentrating on youth for the next couple of seasons is the way to go. We've all seen the result of trying to buy our way into the prem and look where its got us!

There is a middle ground you know, plus how long do we depend on the youth if they're not good enough? They should be in the team because they're the best in their position, not because they're the youngest!

58 minutes ago, CambridgeRam said:

I have contemplated starting a thread on the need for patience at various points over the past couple of years. Firstly, when things were dire under Pearson, I felt that we needed to hold our nerve and let him mould the club on and off the field, in a similar way to how he had in his previous jobs. For example, a lot of the sports science now used at Leicester is built upon foundations that he implemented. Under Lampard, I nearly wrote calling for the need to be patient when he took the job as a rookie and again around Christmas time when there was wild chatter of us storming the automatics, aided by some January business.

However, I think the need for patience is required more now than at any point since our relegation in 2008. The problems the club faces can be distilled down into one issue, the club bet the house on us being promoted before now. The spending spree under Clement was executed in order to propel us to the promised land. Anya's lucrative stay in a Derby Travelodge would be irrelevant if we had been promoted before now. The club's inventive amortisation policy is designed to kick the risk of the short term gambles into a time when they predict that our financial landscape would be transformed by Premier League football. The merits of this gamble is a different issue. Some see Mel as one of us and doing exactly what we all dream of doing, yet some see him as a megalomaniac figure. For what its worth, I fall into the former category rather than the latter. This does not mean that he is absolved from any share of the blame however, but I would say that he has and does act with Derby County's best interest at heart.

The gamble has backfired spectacularly and this is why we need to be patient. Cocu is the manager  who was in the chair when the music stopped and a different approach has been adopted as result. I know the term 'transition' is a contested one within football, however it is undeniable that we are now in the middle of a period of transition. Look at the promotion of youth and the players that have left and will be leaving over the next 12 months. The approach to transfer windows has (thankfully) changed. I was pleased to see us loan Paterson and Hamer rather than be held to ransom for permanent signings that weren't our first choice, regardless of their on-field performances. January has been a frustrating month, Cocu's reaction to questions about it shows that, but again the club has adopted a more diligent approach of identifying top targets and holding out for quality over quantity. I think Ryan Conway mentioned back in November that work on the upcoming summer window was already well under way. This approach makes much more sense, when you ignore the bright lights of the play-offs or promotion. 

Despite my anger at last night's capitulation, I can see the green shoots of recovery from the gamble in Holmes, Knight, Lowe, Bogle, Bird, Bielik, Rooney, Whittaker, Sibley, Marriott et al, if Cocu is given the time required to build. Football is incredibly short sighted in the pursuit of glory, but we need to be patient as Derby try to organically create something that in time will hopefully get us to where we all want to be. 

The difficult times will make the good times even better. Football is cyclical in its nature, as we have to take ecstasy of that night in Leeds, with the sheer frustration of last night.

Good post.. We only disagree on one thing. Morris may well be 'one of us' whatever that means but the financial and strategic mismanagement of DCFC during his tenure, is purely down to him. I worried when a 'fan' took over and nothing he has done since then has installed any confidence in the man.

Archived