So that’s that

Birdyabroad

Following tonight’s loss to Luton, let’s all breathe a collective sigh of relief and accept that this season is over.

We’re not going up, we’re not squeaking into the playoffs but we’re not going down either; our home form will see to that.

So, with all that in mind, let’s focus on the potential positives that can come from this fallow year.

I’ll kick things off:

1, Mel can navigate us through this EFL charge. We come out the other side facing no penalty points and remove this cloud over our heads.

2, Let’s get some new investment in place to help remove the financial burden from uncle Mel.

3, Cocu gets a ‘free hit’ for the remainder of the season and he, and his coaching staff learn the English game.

4, We give more and more game time to the youngsters. Bird and Knight were the only two positives tonight and that gets me excited for the future. So now let’s please see more of Whittaker and Sibley, and maybe a few others.

5, We don’t sign any players in an over-priced January market and focus purely on developing our young players (See point above)

6, Rooney and Rosineor work through their coaching badges and get more experience on the training ground.

I’m prepared to accept all this BUT there’s no excuses next season. Cocu would have had a year and will get a proper pre-season. The spectre of drink-gate will be behind us and Rooney will also have had time to get fully fit.

So, let’s all breathe, enjoy what we can this year and roll on 2020/21 ?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I just miss us being Derby County for the right reasons.....

What does that even mean?

When have Derby County ever been Derby County for a reason?

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

What does that even mean?

When have Derby County ever been Derby County for a reason?

I don’t know..... I’ve lost the plot tonight

The seasons over? After 29 games? That’s both a shameful assumption to make with respect to the prospect of the playoffs, and a Dangerous one to make with respect to the prospect of relegation. I hope the club aren’t acting under similar beliefs. I don’t want to see the team giving up on promotion, no matter how unlikely it is with this crap squad. They’re already half arsed enough as it is, imagine if we didn’t have anything to play for?! And with our record in the second halves of seasons, I think it’s far too early to rule out the prospect of relegation, particulary with the prospect of point deductions. You’d think we have enough quality, but we just lost to the worst team in the league so who knows at this point?

In terms of positives from this season... I’m really struggling. First Lampard ducked us over leaving mid way through the summer. Then we proceeded to give a 4 (!!) year contract to a manager who appears to be more negative than my posts on this forum. Then we made, once again, a total clusterfuck of the transfer window, failing to sign anyone who’s had made a real significant difference to the team. This left us with an entirely incapable squad of fulfilling our promotion aspirations, so we ended up in a “transition season”. But it didn’t end there... oh no, for some unexplainable reason certain members of our squad then decided to ruin our seasons even more by being complete idiots after a few pints, resulting in the injury and sacking of our captain, and a huge amount of shame cast over our club. Probably became an even more hated club than Leeds, and that’s some going, all because of a few selfish muppets. You’d think that would be it? No, then we get charged for breaching FFP despite repeatedly being assured there was no threat. Hopefully there still isn’t and the EFL are done instead, but again, it puts us under potentially even more threat as a club, and makes us even more despised. But then the January transfer window comes around. Surely this is the time when we can finally start sorting things and giving us some hope? Well, it certainly started well, we signed ducking Wayne Rooney! Englands all time top goalscorer! In a Derby shirt! This has to be the turning point. Hope returns with the promise of new investment and signings to back Cocu in the January transfer window. But... no. None of that actually materialises, certainly not in time anyway. We end up with another wasted January transfer window and no closer to putting together a decent side. And to top it all off, our big money signing does his knee in. Great. 

And that’s where we are now. I appreciate not all of the above is anyone at Derby County’s fault, but you can see how it all adds up to a damn depressing season. We just seem such a mess and I can’t see any light at the end of the tunnel to be honest. The one shining light is the academy- The youth teams are doing superbly, and it’s producing some top class talent for the first team. That is a major, major positive. But it’s not enough on its own. We need quality recruitment to supplement the young players. And does our terrible recruitment show any sign of changing? Not at the moment.

Season being over in terms of play offs was also my thought at the whistle. 10 points off, 6th on course for 74 points or so means well over 2 points per game for the remainder of the season.

Over course there’s the FA Cup and hoping the team start to play consistently well ready for 20/21.

Key thing is to get the FFP charge sorted this season and not drag it out, certainly if the points deduction at the lower end of the scale is likely.

8 hours ago, Birdyabroad said:

Following tonight’s loss to Luton, let’s all breathe a collective sigh of relief and accept that this season is over.

We’re not going up, we’re not squeaking into the playoffs but we’re not going down either; our home form will see to that.

So, with all that in mind, let’s focus on the potential positives that can come from this fallow year.

I’ll kick things off:

1, Mel can navigate us through this EFL charge. We come out the other side facing no penalty points and remove this cloud over our heads.

2, Let’s get some new investment in place to help remove the financial burden from uncle Mel.

3, Cocu gets a ‘free hit’ for the remainder of the season and he, and his coaching staff learn the English game.

4, We give more and more game time to the youngsters. Bird and Knight were the only two positives tonight and that gets me excited for the future. So now let’s please see more of Whittaker and Sibley, and maybe a few others.

5, We don’t sign any players in an over-priced January market and focus purely on developing our young players (See point above)

6, Rooney and Rosineor work through their coaching badges and get more experience on the training ground.

I’m prepared to accept all this BUT there’s no excuses next season. Cocu would have had a year and will get a proper pre-season. The spectre of drink-gate will be behind us and Rooney will also have had time to get fully fit.

We’re not going down ?

massive assumption there buddy 

between inept away form and a possible points deduction I really wouldn’t be so confident  

This season is far from over imo, sadly for all the wrong reasons 

7 hours ago, Birdyabroad said:

Following tonight’s loss to Luton, let’s all breathe a collective sigh of relief and 1 accept that this season is over. 

We’re not going up, we’re not squeaking into the playoffs but 2 we’re not going down either; our home form will see to that.

I’ll kick things off:

1. It never really started. 
2. “potential” positives is an apt qualification because as positives go they seem pretty ephemeral to me.

3.  You think Cocu et al are learning from their mistakes? I see them on a big “repeat” loop. 
4. Rooney . . . I’m not certain him getting his badges adds much to the future for Derby County. It’s irrelevant to me.

5. You say “we’re not going down” but from where I view things this is a risk that isn’t yet fully mitigated. 

So you focus on the “potential” positives, I’ll stay realistic and ask myself how much longer I can stand and watch a regime that looks like a crowd of rabbits permanently staring into the headlights. 

I’ll kick things off:

Would be very nice but I very much doubt we will not get punishment of some sort

If you were looking from the outside at this squad and the position we are currently in (potential points deduction at the wrong end of the table) Would you invest?

I love the fat that we are bringing through talent, but we can't rely on a full squad of them to step up. Sibley looked very light weight the other night and maybe needs another couple of years to beef up and become the player he potentially is.

Don't sign any players would be tragic, but again why would any player want to move to a club that is in the bottom half and possibly facing a points deduction? Other than purely to get some game time.

Everyone was waxing lyrical about Rosineor when he arrived. What does he actually do?

So, let’s all breathe, enjoy what we can this year and roll on 2020/21 ?

I am usually the most optimistic of people. I will say that Cocu has had a bad rap here. Lampard debacle, crash gate, crap pre-season (not his doing) poor loan signings (I doubt he had much say in them). Inherited a bang average squad which is a mix of 6 or 7 managers. Some of which have not stood up to their potential, Some of which appear to be constantly injured, some have sadly shown potential and got injured, some just appear to not be arsed. Some are just at the end of their careers.

I say give Cocu time and investment and let's see where we are then.

Towards the end of the Clough jnr era I found myself just going through the motions of attending games because I’m a fan and that’s what fans do, turning in average performances, dominating possession in the wrong areas and having no idea how to break down the Millwall and Wigan’s at home. Then in came Mac and made me realise what attractive, attacking football was. Going to games was exciting again and the buzz was back. I now currently seem to have slipped back into the losing interest mode. I will attend the games due to the reason mentioned, first and foremost I’m a fan and always will be. This season has been a mess from start to finish. I would possibly put it worse than the doomed 11pt season, at least we got to see quality teams/players each week that season, albeit for the opposition. We don’t seem to have a plan, recruitment poor/non existent. The only positive is Rooney and apparently contact was made when Lampard was here. We are fast becoming the laughing stock of the league and a soap opera and also one of the most unpopular teams in the process. As for the answer I haven’t got a clue on or off the pitch. Post Clough we were the envy of most in the league, a team with no superstars, modest wage bill, cute signings and playing decent football in the process. As for Friday, I will go but the buzz when I get up in the morning wanting 17:30 to hurry up so I can get to the game is dwindling. An early goal conceded or a loss and the atmosphere could quite easily turn toxic. 7 unbeaten heading to bottom of the league, going a goal up and imploding to defeat isn’t acceptable. Forget referee conspiracies, we should be able to defend crosses/set plays and manage a game out. As for the season being over, any kind of points deduction could see us in massive trouble. 

This isn’t an over reaction as the whole season hasn’t been acceptable at all. Poor tactical decisions have contributed massively to this. I’ve always been firmly in the ‘give Cocu time’ camp but unless things massively improve between now and the end of the season with a clear direction in the style of play that will start to change. 

Rant over, happy Wednesday everyone. 

I started this topic late last night and, this morning, still stand by the sentiment.

Those that are questioning whether the season is over, given that we’ve played 29 games, are either a doom monger or a fantasist.

We’re NOT going down this year. We are 11 points off bottom 3 and have shown enough steel at home  that we will definitely pick up enough points to stay safe.

IF there is a points deduction, it will be wrapped up in claim and counter-claim; this won’t be a speedy process. The deduction, if any, would apply to next season and not this season.

So, again, we are not going down this year.

As for the playoffs, there are 10 points and the small matter of 9 teams to hurdle. Anyone who thinks this is now doable is in the land of fantasy.

The reality is that the season is over, although we do have the pleasant distraction of the FA cup to look forward to, but again, we’re most probably not going to win the whole thing.

So, I still say, give up any ambition for this year, enjoy the small pleasures of a well taken goal or a clean sheet. Give Mel and Cocu some time to sort out the mess, bring through the youth, cull some of the deadweight and raise our expectations for next year, no excuses ?

7 minutes ago, Birdyabroad said:

IF there is a points deduction, it will be wrapped up in claim and counter-claim; this won’t be a speedy process. The deduction, if any, would apply to next season and not this season.

So, I still say, give up any ambition for this year, enjoy the small pleasures of a well taken goal or a clean sheet. Give Mel and Cocu some time to sort out the mess, bring through the youth, cull some of the deadweight and raise our expectations for next year, no excuses ?

Right.

Archived