We need to back Cocu

MackworthRamIsGod

44 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Marriott who's never fit, Martin who has an illness and is generally better in home games, and Rooney who's not a striker. Real plethora that. Cocu doesn't have the options to pick from, the squad just isn't good enough. However much we slag Cocu off, nobody is getting more out of what we have.

Wtf is Rooney if not a striker? 

Yes I'll admit he couldn't sit at the top table and claim that role, but right here and now surely that's what he's here for, we're a lower table championship team.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, reverendo de duivel said:

Wtf is Rooney if not a striker? 

Yes I'll admit he couldn't sit at the top table and claim that role, but right here and now surely that's what he's here for, we're a lower table championship team.

It's not what he's here for, he's not being played there is he? He's been brought in to dictate play from midfield, Cocu clearly values a bit more mobility up front. I'm not saying he's not capable, but he's not that in Cocu's mind.

1 minute ago, RIMBAUD said:

Well at the moment cocu’s influence on transfers is that we haven’t signed anyone and it sounds like we won’t. 

And you could argue that the reason that good performances have not been backed up with further positive ones is because coco changed the team/tactics. 

That we haven’t signed anybody is nothing to do with Cocu. Quite clearly I stated that assessment was based on our rumoured targets.

You could argue that, yes. You might even be right in arguing that. I can’t really be bothered to go and have a look at the changes made in the games that succeeded those I’ve mentioned, but I can’t remember too many times when performances have warranted an unchanged team, be that through injury, suspensions or players being dropped.

55 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I'm reluctant to say this because so many youngsters, good young players with lots of potential, are playing at the moment BUT this is a really very poor squad.

Cocu cannot be blamed for the players he's inherited.

In fact, without the youngsters breaking through, the squad would be even poorer.

We should be glad that Cocu is giving them the chance. Clearly his hands are tied when it comes to buying anyone, not that January is the best window to do that.

Just now, nottingram said:

That we haven’t signed anybody is nothing to do with Cocu. Quite clearly I stated that assessment was based on our rumoured targets.

You could argue that, yes. You might even be right in arguing that. I can’t really be bothered to go and have a look at the changes made in the games that succeeded those I’ve mentioned, but I can’t remember too many times when performances have warranted an unchanged team, be that through injury, suspensions or players being dropped.

Rumours? What on earth does that have do with it. You can’t praise a manager for the rumours he generates. Can you?  I want him to do well because he’s our manager and there are factors that are beyond his control. But not all of them. 

18 minutes ago, Justa said:

Look what the snake is doing with Millwall ?!

Getting the absolute maximum out of average players at a club where an us against the world mentality is ingrained into their very identity, and one who's fans couldn't give a poo what style of football they play as long as it gets results.

Rowett and Millwall are made perfectly for each other.

There's no eye on the future though, they're not looking to build anything sustainable, there's no edict to bring through 5, 6 youth team players. 

They're just being the best Millwall a Millwall can be, but there's an upper limit to that.

3 minutes ago, RIMBAUD said:

Rumours? What on earth does that have do with it. You can’t praise a manager for the rumours he generates. Can you?  I want him to do well because he’s our manager and there are factors that are beyond his control. But not all of them. 

I am not praising him per se, but Jozwiak (seems a fairly solid rumour), Kadioglu etc show far more imagination than players signed under previous regimes. Might be a coincidence of course, pure speculation on my part really

People asking 'what is a Cocu team?', go and watch preston first half again. It was absolutely brilliant and what he wants to achieve consistently with this team. Again, look at the tools at his disposal and tell me which players in this team are consistently top 10 material. Bogle, Lowe, maybe Clarke and Holmes and possibly Rooney. The youngsters look good but aren't consistent as is the nature of youth players, so is it really a surprise to anyone at all that we are where we are, adding on all the context of external matters?

Things need to change at Derby, but the manager certainly isn't number 1 on that list. In the list of causes for our league position, Cocu isn't high on that list at all for me

8 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

In fact, without the youngsters breaking through, the squad would be even poorer.

We should be glad that Cocu is giving them the chance. Clearly his hands are tied when it comes to buying anyone, not that January is the best window to do that.

Hamer

Bogle, Wisdom, Clarke, Lowe

Bird, Holmes

Knight, Rooney, Lawrence

Waghorn

versus

Roos

Bogle, Keogh, Tomori, Malone

Holmes, Johnson, Mount

Wilson, Waghorn, Lawrence

and people wonder why we have gone backwards

1 minute ago, nottingram said:

I am not praising him per se, but Jozwiak (seems a fairly solid rumour), Kadioglu etc show far more imagination than players signed under previous regimes. Might be a coincidence of course, pure speculation on my part really

Hey I can see where you’re coming from but it’s speculation atm and as such worthless. let’s see what happens . From where I’m looking, we’re a mess. A mess that the manager is contributing to but who is by no means the biggest architect of. 

COYR

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

It's not what he's here for, he's not being played there is he? He's been brought in to dictate play from midfield, Cocu clearly values a bit more mobility up front. I'm not saying he's not capable, but he's not that in Cocu's mind.

Yeah I know what you're saying, but it's frustrating at this point in time.

We are making do and mend, square pegs in round holes, no one seems to be quite playing in their comfort zone.

I'd love Cocu to succeed, I really would, but every performance we put on makes me less and less convinced he will.

Just now, reverendo de duivel said:

Yeah I know what you're saying, but it's frustrating at this point in time.

We are making do and mend, square pegs in round holes, no one seems to be quite playing in their comfort zone.

I'd love Cocu to succeed, I really would, but every performance we put on makes me less and less convinced he will.

But that's kinda the nature of a position Cocu was put in by poor past recruitment, bad luck on his part with the Keogh incident and the tight FFP situation. I was frustrated with Cocu earlier in the season, but the few games over the late December period/early January gave me a glimpse of what I think the end destination is meant to be. 

At the end of the day, the game could have been completely different if we had taken our chances and not defended like children. We'd be a much better team with Keogh. Or with a proper keeper. Or a reliable centre forward, and our record signing back fit. We're makeshift, because we have to be. I'm more frustrated with individual mistakes today. 

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

But that's kinda the nature of a position Cocu was put in by poor past recruitment, bad luck on his part with the Keogh incident and the tight FFP situation. I was frustrated with Cocu earlier in the season, but the few games over the late December period/early January gave me a glimpse of what I think the end destination is meant to be. 

At the end of the day, the game could have been completely different if we had taken our chances and not defended like children. We'd be a much better team with Keogh. Or with a proper keeper. Or a reliable centre forward, and our record signing back fit. We're makeshift, because we have to be. I'm more frustrated with individual mistakes today. 

Fair do's, you've talked me down from the ledge!

Same time Friday?

1 hour ago, lrm14 said:

Player for player we're definitely as bad as the league makes out, especially going forward. Pretty much every team above us has at least one attacking player that would walk into our 11, no questions asked.

And the result would probably be that they would register less shots on target than they currently have goals for the rest of the season ?

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I just think we're going to suck for a while however many managers we go through.

I think of Cocu as the new Nigel Clough. It'll drive us all mad, but we'll get to a good place eventually.

Mid table?

I'm hoping for more to be honest!!

Perhaps we will get the new Steve McLaren type in half way through next season though to take us to the next level.

Cocu has been dealt a very bad hand this season, no one could of imagined the negative stories this season when we beat Huddersfield in August. I’m not saying he’s immune from criticism (not a fan of his substitution policy). It’s also not great for him to have the “next manager” of the club right with him waiting on his departure. Mel is majorly to blame for this mess. The Rooney signing was just another PR move by him. The local media are giving fans hope and it’s becoming quite evident that investment isn’t coming. Mel needs to sell now otherwise we are continuing to head in the wrong direction. I think we are all in false hope that “uncle Mel” will pull it out of the bag again and do one on the EFL , but don’t worry he does the bounce.Begs the question though ,who would buy into this mess? Cocu needs backing in the summer!

6 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Mid table?

I'm hoping for more to be honest!!

Perhaps we will get the new Steve McLaren type in half way through next season though to take us to the next level.

McClaren did walk into a hard working talented team which had been assembled for peanuts. But then, I'm in the crazy camp that thinks we'd have got play offs under Nigel that season.

Archived