We need to back Cocu

MackworthRamIsGod

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Yani P said:

I've no doubt he will stay for the long term.. My concern is he appears to have no plans.. Just react to how he thinks the opposition will play.. And our squad is nowhere near as dire as many suggest.. But its an easy excuse to use to explain away the obvious lack of tactics.. Especially away from home.. Hope it will turn around but still to be convinced.. I'm hoping it's such a slow burner I just can't see the glowing ember.. 

You can't see the ember? At all? What about just a few games ago where we played Palace off the park? Or where we beat Charlton with 10 men. We've had some really good performances recently. He has a plan, it's just hard to implement with a poor squad. How is there an obvious lack of tactics? If we hadn't made basic defensive mistakes we should have won that game comfortably. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Which is exactly where we should be with such a squad. When he has his own team, that's the time to criticise. 

Even when he has his own team I bet we'll still be going round in circles, passing the ball backwards and sideways, virtually walking the ball up the pitch while the opposition get back into shape to wait for the inevitable dozen or so tippy-tappy passes across the 18 yard box that lead to nothing. 

Its so ducking dull, tedious and predicable that if he is still here this time next season I bet opposition managers & players won't even bother with team talks - they'll know they just have to wait for us to make one pass too many then hit us on the break. 

Its abysmal.

Just now, Jayram said:

Even when he has his own team I bet we'll still be going round in circles, passing the ball backwards and sideways, virtually walking the ball up the pitch while the opposition get back into shape to wait for the inevitable dozen or so tippy-tappy passes across the 18 yard box that lead to nothing. 

Its so ducking dull, tedious and predicable that if he is still here this time next season I bet opposition managers & players won't even bother with team talks - they'll know they just have to wait for us to make one pass too many then hit us on the break. 

Its abysmal.

Ah, playing possession never works for Leeds does it? Or Brentford, or other top teams in this league. If you're good at it, it doesn't really matter if you're predictable. 

26 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I can see what he is trying to achieve, it isn't quite working at the minute but it will come good.

We were unlucky tonight, Luton will surge up the table after that result tonight.

Have faith Rams fans, the playoff are not over.

This result is not Cocu or the players fault, it is solely my responsibility. I have paid to watch 3 games on Rams TV and lost every time, all perfectly winnable games. Completely my fault, wont happen again I promise.

In your opinion.

Other fans who pay their money also have theirs, I don’t have to back him, in fact the opposite is what I think.

I don’t think you have a clue what he’s trying to do, countless ex pro’s all saying we have no identity, we are a poor side and have no bite.

Whilst I have some sympathy for the mess the club is in and the inability to make signings I don’t see him as the answer. Remember what he did in Turkey, all this blind faith of fans sticking by him just because we chopped a few managers in last few years. Holding onto him won’t necessarily make him the right man.

20 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Marriott who's never fit, Martin who has an illness and is generally better in home games, and Rooney who's not a striker. Real plethora that. Cocu doesn't have the options to pick from, the squad just isn't good enough. However much we slag Cocu off, nobody is getting more out of what we have.

I think that what most of us expected to see was a gradual improvement of the team,a cohesion in the way we play as the squad gradually learnt his style of play and tactics...not necessarily becoming instant winners but looking like we are heading in the right direction.

To be honest,despite trying,I have seen little of that...the team selection is at best chaotic and often bewildering and our players seem to know each other less each game not more.

When we do drop on a team that vaguely looks to have any idea what it's supposed to be doing (Preston anyone), Cocu immediately shuffled it all again for the next few matches which returned us back to step one.

If it wasn't cocus name on the car park sign,with all of his history,I don't think that he would be getting so much slack from Mel and some supporters.

Whatever the perceived problems with this squad,the buck has to stop with the manager and it's absolutely his to take responsibility for.

I don’t understand why it is so binary for people who are Cocu out.

I try and understand everybody’s viewpoint but how can people not see the quite frankly absurd mitigating circumstances that he is under. We start the season with a pretty poor squad that have had a horrifically organised pre season. A month into the season, we lose our best player to an off field incident which sees two other players arrested. Said player is suing the club and potentially his teammate. We hit January in a decent vein of form, maybe ready to push on with a couple of additions, but are charged with incidences predating Cocu which inhibit this.

Of course we should be doing better. I don’t think you can really argue that we are playing well or results are good enough. But Jesus Christ how stupid do you have to be to not be able to see the nonsense that Cocu has absolutely no control over. Weaker men would have walked a mile a long time ago. 

Our most recent two managers have operated on short term agendas and buggered off when they had to sort it out. We finally have a manager who wants to prioritise long term development and you have idiots spoiled by a few seasons of semi success who want him out. Bizarre.

Thats not to mention the casual xenophobia seen on the match thread tonight, very disappointing.

Meh. It’s pants at times being a Derby fan. Tonight is one of those nights. Let’s keep things in perspective though. How many of our players genuinely make you worry that another team is going to come in for them? Not many I’d wager. We are at best bang average. Coco can only work with what he’s got at the moment as our hands seem to be tied financially. The club is in a bit of a malaise. You can argue that it is or isn’t Cocu’s fault but what on earth would be the point of him going? I back him 100% until he has at least built his own squad.
Sometimes managers take a long time to settle. Sometimes they settle well at a new club others take longer. Take P*****n at Watford. For us he was awful (never have I disliked a manager so much) But ask a Watford fan or indeed a Leicester fan what they think and they will tell a very different story. 

Just now, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I think that what most of us expected to see was a gradual improvement of the team,a cohesion in the way we play as the squad gradually learnt his style of play and tactics...not necessarily becoming instant winners but looking like we are heading in the right direction.

To be honest,despite trying,I have seen kite of that...the team selection is at best chaotic and often bewildering and our players seem to know each other less each game not more.

When we do drop on a team that vaguely looks to have any idea what it's supposed to be doing (Preston anyone), Cocu immediately shuffled it all again for the next few matches which returned us back to step one.

If it wasn't cocus name on the car park sign,with all of his history,I don't think that he would be getting so much slack from Mel and some supporters.

Whatever the perceived problems with this squad,the buck has to stop with the manager and it's absolutely his to take responsibility for.

We have seen gradual improvements. But improvement isn't linear, you have set backs. We had a great run of form, and now we're coming off it. But we still have made improvements from where we were. The manager is taking responsibility, but the thing is he's not really been able to pick a consistent team sheet has he? Between injuries and suspensions. 

14 minutes ago, Andicis said:

You can't see the ember? At all? What about just a few games ago where we played Palace off the park? Or where we beat Charlton with 10 men. We've had some really good performances recently. He has a plan, it's just hard to implement with a poor squad. How is there an obvious lack of tactics? If we hadn't made basic defensive mistakes we should have won that game comfortably. 

Your off your rocker mate. Take the dcfc rose tinted glass off. You mention palace and charlton but I’d put it down to a Palace not being interested and charlton not good enough. He isn’t over his head because I think he’d be better off at a prem club but he’s not suited to ducking and diving in the championship. 

11 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Of course we should be doing better. I don’t think you can really argue that we are playing well or results are good enough. But Jesus Christ how stupid do you have to be to not be able to see the nonsense that Cocu has absolutely no control over. 

He makes his own nonsense. How does he set us up? What is his game plan? Why do you think it will be better next season!

5 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

Your off your rocker mate. Take the dcfc rose tinted glass off. You mention palace and charlton but I’d put it down to a Palace not being interested and charlton not good enough. He isn’t over his head because I think he’d be better off at a prem club but he’s not suited to ducking and diving in the championship. 

Yeah of course I am mate. I'm not particularly known as a happy clapper. You refuse to see any kind of result is good and just make excuses for why they weren't good results, rather than just accept them and be pleased with them. The performances were good, and the results were good. So I think you're ''off you're rocker'', actually ''mate''.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He makes his own nonsense. How does he set us up? What is his game plan? Why do you think it will be better next season!

Clearly his game plan is how we have been at our best this season. Charlton, Preston, Huddersfield, Middlesboro. Now why we haven’t produced similar performances so often is anyone’s guess, I would say it is due to many of the players not being close to good enough. 

I think next season will be better because you can already see positive signs with certain players. Knight is unrecognisable from his first few games, so are Bird and Lowe. I think based on our rumoured targets this window you can see Cocu’s influence on transfers. The nucleus of a very reasonable team is there in the full backs and the young midfielders, but the rest is just complete tat, and the reason it is such is that it has been built by manager after manager with their own agendas. Cocu’s agenda is very much aligned with the club’s, in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Clearly his game plan is how we have been at our best this season. Charlton, Preston, Huddersfield, Middlesboro. Now why we haven’t produced similar performances so often is anyone’s guess, I would say it is due to many of the players not being close to good enough. 

I think next season will be better because you can already see positive signs with certain players. Knight is unrecognisable from his first few games, so are Bird and Lowe. I think based on our rumoured targets this window you can see Cocu’s influence on transfers. The nucleus of a very reasonable team is there in the full backs and the young midfielders, but the rest is just complete tat, and the reason it is such is that it has been built by manager after manager with their own agendas. Cocu’s agenda is very much aligned with the club’s, in my opinion.

Well at the moment cocu’s influence on transfers is that we haven’t signed anyone and it sounds like we won’t. 

And you could argue that the reason that good performances have not been backed up with further positive ones is because coco changed the team/tactics. 

Archived