What is "Woke"?

FindernRam

Some of this modern terminology leaves me behind!

Just what is this "Woke" thing that seems to feature everywhere these days.

My old guy interpretation is that its some kind of "look at me!" signalling by all these "permanently offended people", POPs that seem to geminate and grow in social media.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Political term originated among African-Americans referring to awareness of issues related to social/racial justice.

Appropriated by basically everyone nowadays (including but not limited to those I'd imagine you would categorise as POPs) who has a perceived awareness of any social justice or racial justice issues. And of course ridiculed by those who don't perceive it. As all things are between sides in politics.

12 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Some of this modern terminology leaves me behind!

Just what is this "Woke" thing that seems to feature everywhere these days.

My old guy interpretation is that its some kind of "look at me!" signalling by all these "permanently offended people", POPs that seem to geminate and grow in social media.

It's a new topping on a not-vegan-friendly vegan burger at Burger King.

17 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Political term originated among African-Americans referring to awareness of issues related to social/racial justice.

Appropriated by basically everyone nowadays (including but not limited to those I'd imagine you would categorise as POPs) who has a perceived awareness of any social justice or racial justice issues. And of course ridiculed by those who don't perceive it. As all things are between sides in politics.

Certainly these days. Strange times when anyone expressing empathy and self-awareness is attacked for it.

I have a step son, who over the past few years has bought a plethora of words that in my day meant something totally different.

Woke appeared approximately a year ago, he used it in a sentence/situation that made no sense to me at all.

Other words 

"Sic" new meaning - excellent, brilliant cool ----- In my day puke, ill or throw up.

"You killed that"  new meaning, That was excellent, you did really well ------ In my day, . You murdered someone, 

"Stan" new meaning , super fan ----- Old meaning , The old guy who used to empty the bins.

58 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

It's a term frequently used in a pejorative sense to describe anyone who cares about anything other than themselves and is used most often by those who care about nothing but themselves.

Note - see also 'SJWs' and 'virtue signallers'...

I think that's unfair - they also care deeply about other people like them's right to  not care either

15 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

What is/are "POPs"?

Read my post:  Permanently offended people --People who wake up everyday looking to take offence at any thing. 

Be clear here, I think there are many injustices that deserve publicity but overreacting to almost everything is not helpful and detracts from the important stuff.

5 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Read my post:  Permanently offended people --People who wake up everyday looking to take offence at any thing. 

Be clear here, I think there are many injustices that deserve publicity but overreacting to almost everything is not helpful and detracts from the important stuff.

I read it... word for word.

Despite the acronym being immediately adjacent to the individual words, I still somehow managed to miss the connection.

Feel free to call me stupid.  I won't try to defend myself... obviously!   ? ?

23 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

It's a term frequently used in a pejorative sense to describe anyone who cares about anything other than themselves and is used most often by those who care about nothing but themselves.

Note - see also 'SJWs' and 'virtue signallers'...

Aren't these people just terrorists who can't be bothered to put the hours in or do the PT?

Archived