What's Changed?

Rams-in-Spain

I'm a long time Derby supporter who has seen the great times and the bad times over nearly 50 years. Being honest, as I now live in Spain I only see a few games each season. To me though things seemed to have changed. When I was at Pride Park before Christmas, I was actually shocked by some of the abuse Derby  fans dished out to Derby players. I'll admit the play was not great but that is the time when the team need our support. 

Thinking back to the last year in the Prem, when one of our favourite songs was "Let's pretend we scored a goal"  and even the year after when we really struggled in the championship, I honestly think the support was far better. 

So what's changed? 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, neil62uk said:

Like yourself I've witnessed the good the bad the ugly , From European nights  to 7 - 1 home defeat v Liverpool   and the rest that goes with it . My own opinion is expectations levels and possibly money  are the issues 

I remember the 7 1 defeat. Was that when we had Mark Wright? He looked absolutely devastated at the end of the game. I think we got it back to 1 1 through a penalty and I told my younger brother I though we'd win ?

1 minute ago, Rams-in-Spain said:

I remember the 7 1 defeat. Was that when we had Mark Wright? He looked absolutely devastated at the end of the game. I think we got it back to 1 1 through a penalty and I told my younger brother I though we'd win ?

Plus Saunders whom I think scored  and Shilton in goal ... Ironic that Wright and Saunders signed for Liverpool at the end of that season ?

Most clubs are the same. Football has changed in general and every club is chasing a small light at the end of the tunnel. 

Supporters think they want to be in the Premier League, they want instant success and when they don't get it, they become angry because they've spent a lot of money going to watch a team lack effort and fight. 

Football has changed a lot in 20 years and so have supporters. I don't let Derby County or football dictate my mood but unfortunately for some, they do. 

1 minute ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Most clubs are the same. Football has changed in general and every club is chasing a small light at the end of the tunnel. 

Supporters think they want to be in the Premier League, they want instant success and when they don't get it, they become angry because they've spent a lot of money going to watch a team lack effort and fight. 

Football has changed a lot in 20 years and so have supporters. I don't let Derby County or football dictate my mood but unfortunately for some, they do. 

Yes I think you are right,  it's sad though. For me as I rarely get to games nowadays each game is a real treat no matter the result. 

1 minute ago, neil62uk said:

Where not on our own ?

My claim to fame is I actually met 2 of my Derby Idols. I met Brian Clough a few years before he died. He gave me a signed copy of his book that I treasure. And back many years ago I met Kevin Hector who for me is one of Derby's all time greats,! 

It's much more difficult to relate to the players now because of the huge discrepancy between footballers wages and what the average person earns. I'm not saying this is necessarily fair, but I think it makes a difference. In the old days it was much easier to empathise with a player having a bad day, maybe even some who weren't putting in a proper shift, because we've all been there. Far fewer of us are lucky enough to have been in a situation where we get paid thousands, some even tens of thousands, per week and get away with being inconsistent in our work.

1 minute ago, Rams-in-Spain said:

My claim to fame is I actually met 2 of my Derby Idols. I met Brian Clough a few years before he died. He gave me a signed copy of his book that I treasure. And back many years ago I met Kevin Hector who for me is one of Derby's all time greats,! 

I never met those two greats .. I guess Stimac as got to be high on my list ..others being Branko , Williams , Higginbottom , Nyatanga  the rest are not worth a mention ?

Loads of little knock on effects.

-The rise of ‘freedom of speech without consequence’

-The rise of instant satisfaction and opinion. This is part social media, so if you don’t like something you won’t let it play out. Also over analysis from your likes of sky and games like FIFA and FM that give you the feeling Football is perfect. A mistake is a bigger talking point than a good goal

-The rise in gambling? People have more on games, it’s not just your club it’s your cash. Mix this with drinking, and probably drugs in some cases, then you don’t have a pleasant mix.

55 minutes ago, Rams-in-Spain said:

I'm a long time Derby supporter who has seen the great times and the bad times over nearly 50 years. Being honest, as I now live in Spain I only see a few games each season. To me though things seemed to have changed. When I was at Pride Park before Christmas, I was actually shocked by some of the abuse Derby  fans dished out to Derby players. I'll admit the play was not great but that is the time when the team need our support. 

Thinking back to the last year in the Prem, when one of our favourite songs was "Let's pretend we scored a goal"  and even the year after when we really struggled in the championship, I honestly think the support was far better. 

So what's changed? 

I reckon it's a combination of raised expectations and selective memory (all of us so I'm not having a dig at you).

In the prem we probably expected to lose more often than not (it just went much worse than expected and in the end we were proud of ourselves as fans hence the fans being voted "player" of the year).

In terms of longer ago, I don't remember it being particularly bad at the BBG but perhaps it's easier to remember the good times than the bad. Perhaps it wasn't all as rosy as some of us (myself included) like to reminisce. 

Society in general seems to have become less patient and more confrontational.

I always find it strange that someone would think hurling personal abuse at a person would get them to perform better.

Not been this year but thinking back to my time as a season ticket holder on the Pop side  don’t think things have changed that much.

It’s annoying but just a vocal minority?

I think in the past ten years we have become quicker to find the bad in every area of our everyday lives. 

Even when someone does something praiseworthy, we can't wait to add a 'yes but'. 

For many, a football ground gives them the opportunity to vent about everything which they don't like in their personal lives. 

Everything becomes Derby's fault. 

I love to hear the support we are capable of and prefer to applaud that than let the ill-informed get me down. 

41 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Loads of little knock on effects.

-The rise of ‘freedom of speech without consequence’

-The rise of instant satisfaction and opinion. This is part social media, so if you don’t like something you won’t let it play out. Also over analysis from your likes of sky and games like FIFA and FM that give you the feeling Football is perfect. A mistake is a bigger talking point than a good goal

-The rise in gambling? People have more on games, it’s not just your club it’s your cash. Mix this with drinking, and probably drugs in some cases, then you don’t have a pleasant mix.

Great post. The gambling point is an original one, at least to me. Would be interesting to see some research on this to see how much of an impact this makes.

Archived