NFL 2020 Season

David

52 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Cook will get paid somewhere. Vikings have two good backups, I’d try and trade him if I was them - get a good deal and get out from under that payday. 

Yeah, I really like Mattison. Not as good as Cook in the passing game, but an explosive runner. Reports suggest he wants at least 13 million....can’t see us offering anywhere near that.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything over a 4th round pick for Dalvin Cook would be criminal.

Will be interesting to see over the next 2/3 years where the market trends for RB’s. PFF and co have genuinely changed that market but it’s slowly changing, like this year teams seemed to clock on to not drafting a RB round one but then they all went in round 2. That’s still hideous value for such a high pick.

Fair play to Cook though, get paid now while there still some sort of market.

12 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Cook will get paid somewhere. Vikings have two good backups, I’d try and trade him if I was them - get a good deal and get out from under that payday. 

When players refuse to play or even train it tanks their trade value.

This is one of the things I hate about the NFL and how the fans will applaud the players for trying to get paid.

Contracts clearly mean nothing over there which I’m a tad surprised about with the sue culture they have going on.

3 year league suspension for refusal to play and train to a professional level should sort it.

5 hours ago, David said:

When players refuse to play or even train it tanks their trade value.

This is one of the things I hate about the NFL and how the fans will applaud the players for trying to get paid.

Contracts clearly mean nothing over there which I’m a tad surprised about with the sue culture they have going on.

3 year league suspension for refusal to play and train to a professional level should sort it.

There is supposed to be some change in the rule happening, which directly affects the Cook situation.

Something along the lines of, if he doesn’t report, this season won’t count as a season played in the NFL. So he won’t have the 4 years played he needs to become a unrestricted free agent. Meaning we can make him stay next season still on his rookie contract. Something like that anyway....

It would be typical Vikings to get involved in something messy.

5 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

There is supposed to be some change in the rule happening, which directly affects the Cook situation.

Something along the lines of, if he doesn’t report, this season won’t count as a season played in the NFL. So he won’t have the 4 years played he needs to become a unrestricted free agent. Meaning we can make him stay next season still on his rookie contract. Something like that anyway....

Something needs to be done as the last year of contracts at the minute are pointless, I get they put their bodies on the line and risk injuries but thats the game, sign a 4 year deal you play for 4 years. Don't waste the money on great big diamond chains and stupidly expensive watches they should be set for life after one deal anyway. 

1 hour ago, jimbo jones said:

I think they have to report by something like Week 6 don't they, based on what they were expecting to happen with Zeke Elliott last year.

2 hours ago, Carnero said:

I think they have to report by something like Week 6 don't they, based on what they were expecting to happen with Zeke Elliott last year.

They’ve changed things for this year, from what I’ve read. They have to report at the start of training camp otherwise they lose the year towards becoming an unrestricted free agent.  

of course Cook can still hold out, getting paid 10 million to sit on his arse for the next 2 years. If someone makes a good offer, I think we will trade.

3 hours ago, David said:

Something needs to be done as the last year of contracts at the minute are pointless, I get they put their bodies on the line and risk injuries but thats the game, sign a 4 year deal you play for 4 years. Don't waste the money on great big diamond chains and stupidly expensive watches they should be set for life after one deal anyway. 

Yeah, play your multi million dollar contract out and move on if you want, I really don’t see the point in the hold out.

1 hour ago, jimbo jones said:

They’ve changed things for this year, from what I’ve read. They have to report at the start of training camp otherwise they lose the year towards becoming an unrestricted free agent.  

of course Cook can still hold out, getting paid 10 million to sit on his arse for the next 2 years. If someone makes a good offer, I think we will trade.

They were saying on PFT Overtime that Mattison's 2019 stats for yards per carry, yards after contact per carry and missed tackles per carry were all marginally better than Cook's, they reckon the Vikings are perfectly happy to go with Mattison and let Cook sit it out if he chooses to.

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

They were saying on PFT Overtime that Mattison's 2019 stats for yards per carry, yards after contact per carry and missed tackles per carry were all marginally better than Cook's, they reckon the Vikings are perfectly happy to go with Mattison and let Cook sit it out if he chooses to.

Yeah, Mattison looked really good when he was given the ball, on inside runs he’s better than Cook. Whereas cook skips round people on the outside, Mattison bursts straight through. I’d rather go with Mattison than pay cook a fortune, especially with Cooks injury record.

• 4 weeks later...

The potential value of that 10 year extension is $503m - bizarrely structured: 

I think he will struggle to hit the incentives every year, but I'd imagine that is $477.6m over the next 12 years. 

I honestly think that the biggest winners of this contract, aside from Mahomes, is Watson and Jackson. I don't think either will get more, but they certainly will demand something close. This is on a completely different level to other contracts we've seen handed out recently, i.e. Goff, Wentz, both in value and length. The Dak contract will be interesting. 

No surprise to see this get done and I'm glad there is no hometown discount. It keeps things interesting for a bit. If Lamar wins the SB this year and has another MVP year then we could well see this contract broken in a year. 

Archived