NFL 2020 Season

Day

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, David said:

These posts will all be here when you are celebrating his departure!

I won’t be “celebrating” it, Cousins is arguably already our 3rd best QB of all time. Yes I know that is a depressing fact ? but after long stints from Fran Tarkenton & Tommy Kramer in the 60’s, 70,s & 80’s, it’s been a shitshow ever since, with the exception of some old veterans who were good for a season, like Favre, Moon, Cunningham.

Cousins cap hit in 2022 is an eye watering 45 million, but with only 10 million dead money. Unless he takes us deep in the play offs having the best season of his life, and we extend him. We have to move on at that point....hopefully for a rookie on a nice rookie contract.

13 hours ago, David said:

@Ambitious is this biggest winner, won’t have to sit here trying to convince us he’s a decent QB

Goff is a good QB, but he’s been trending backwards over the past two years. He started this last season well enough, but fell away towards the end of the season. He did play pretty well in the playoffs, even in the loss to GB, but I think McVay couldn’t live with the turnovers. This last season was his worst by far, but he still won 10 games and won a game in the playoffs. He also had a few very good performances, amongst the bad. 

I would say that the Lions have won the trade, very comfortably, because they’ve gained a 26 year old QB who has been to the pro bowl in 50% of the seasons he’s been a starter and already taken a team to the Super Bowl. They’ve also added two firsts and a third. I have no idea what their head coach is like, but if they add some weapons then Goff can do really well in Detroit. I wouldn’t at all be surprised if Goff outperforms Stafford next season. I think Stafford is a more talented QB, but Goff isn’t anywhere near as bad as made out - he’s capable of leading a team to the playoffs and he’s never had a losing record since becoming a starter. 

6 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Goff is a good QB, but he’s been trending backwards over the past two years. He started this last season well enough, but fell away towards the end of the season. He did play pretty well in the playoffs, even in the loss to GB, but I think McVay couldn’t live with the turnovers. This last season was his worst by far, but he still won 10 games and won a game in the playoffs. He also had a few very good performances, amongst the bad. 

I would say that the Lions have won the trade, very comfortably, because they’ve gained a 26 year old QB who has been to the pro bowl in 50% of the seasons he’s been a starter and already taken a team to the Super Bowl. They’ve also added two firsts and a third. I have no idea what their head coach is like, but if they add some weapons then Goff can do really well in Detroit. I wouldn’t at all be surprised if Goff outperforms Stafford next season. I think Stafford is a more talented QB, but Goff isn’t anywhere near as bad as made out - he’s capable of leading a team to the playoffs and he’s never had a losing record since becoming a starter. 

You expecting a really bad season for the Rams? 

I don’t see anything else other than the Lions taking their annual spot as NFC north whipping boys next season. Marvin Jones & Kenny Golladay could well be gone, and their defence isn’t good. If they draft well the next couple of years, they might be able to build something, but I don’t expect much next season.

21 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Good deal for both sides.

Lions get a QB they can tank with and the picks to build around whoever they end up drafting next year/year after. Even if Rams make the playoffs and both those picks are in the 20’s/30’s, you can still pick up good receivers in that part of the draft. Let’s say they draft a QB next year, they could then put two First round WR’s while still building out other parts of team with their picks.

Rams get off a QB who stinks to high heaven and get a super motivated Stafford who will finally have competence around him. Worth it.

I wish The 49ers would do something similar with Jimmy G.  I know injuries played their part in his and our crap record this season, but he's been awful this year.  With injuries shredding the defence we were incapable of outscoring anyone in a shoot out.

35 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

You expecting a really bad season for the Rams? 

I don’t see anything else other than the Lions taking their annual spot as NFC north whipping boys next season. Marvin Jones & Kenny Golladay could well be gone, and their defence isn’t good. If they draft well the next couple of years, they might be able to build something, but I don’t expect much next season.

I don’t know how much input Brad Holmes had with the Rams draft, but they’ve consistently been able to find day 2-3 guys, develop them and turn them into capable starters. I believe he was head of college scouting, or something, so I expect them to draft really well and in Goff they’ve got a QB who hasn’t had a losing season. I think that’s really overlooked. I mean, Stafford has been in the league 11 years(?) to Goff’s 5 and the latter has been to more pro bowls in the same conference. It’s important to remember that Goff has never really had a outstanding receiver to throw too, Woods and Kupp are grafters that suit McVay’s system but neither are big bodied, pro-bowl calibre receivers or have outrageous pace. One was dumped by the Bills, who couldn’t guarantee a start, whereas the other was a round 3 pick. We got him Cooks, who had a career year under Goff, despite playing with Brady, Brees and now Watson. 

Stafford has to prove that it was a bad environment that ultimately led to his game winning record, whereas Goff has to prove that it wasn’t McVay pulling the strings. I would put good money on both of those things being true and I expect both teams to do well next year, with the Lions depending on their draft. The Rams have a couple of holes to fill on defense, and maybe improve the OL, but should be ready to go again.

4 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I don’t know how much input Brad Holmes had with the Rams draft, but they’ve consistently been able to find day 2-3 guys, develop them and turn them into capable starters. I believe he was head of college scouting, or something, so I expect them to draft really well and in Goff they’ve got a QB who hasn’t had a losing season. I think that’s really overlooked. I mean, Stafford has been in the league 11 years(?) to Goff’s 5 and the latter has been to more pro bowls in the same conference. It’s important to remember that Goff has never really had a outstanding receiver to throw too, Woods and Kupp are grafters that suit McVay’s system but neither are big bodied, pro-bowl calibre receivers or have outrageous pace. One was dumped by the Bills, who couldn’t guarantee a start, whereas the other was a round 3 pick. We got him Cooks, who had a career year under Goff, despite playing with Brady, Brees and now Watson. 

Stafford has to prove that it was a bad environment that ultimately led to his game winning record, whereas Goff has to prove that it wasn’t McVay pulling the strings. I would put good money on both of those things being true and I expect both teams to do well next year, with the Lions depending on their draft. The Rams have a couple of holes to fill on defense, and maybe improve the OL, but should be ready to go again.

You also have to remember, the Lions are the Lions though. They are the worst franchise in the NFL and it’s not even close. Only 3 north/central division wins ever, tied with the Buccs ?, last one in 93, only one play off win ever. Finished bottom of the division for the last 3 years. Will take more than one draft to sort the Lions out, Goffs first losing season is incoming.

You are right though, both have something to prove, was it really the Lions holding Stafford back, and was all Goffs success on McVay. Will be interesting to see, obviously I’ll be keeping a closer eye on Goff.

4 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

I wish The 49ers would do something similar with Jimmy G.  I know injuries played their part in his and our crap record this season, but he's been awful this year.  With injuries shredding the defence we were incapable of outscoring anyone in a shoot out.

Seen some absolutely laughable trade suggestions between the Vikings and 49ers  the last couple of weeks, which are never happening.

49ers looking to trade Cousins is all over social media this afternoon. Shanahan’s man crush on Kirk is pretty well known, and there’s always talk of a possible trade offer coming, but if we start next season with Jimmy ducking G at QB, im gonna start following baseball instead ?‍♂️

Alright, thanks to Barnsley’s pitch it’s become a purely NFL focused weekend and you know the drill by now, let’s have your predictions. Throwing in a few of the weird super bowl bets to keep things spicy.

Who you want to win the Super Bowl:

Actual Super Bowl winner:

Super Bowl MVP:

Player with most yards after scrimmage:

Over/Under 56.5 points scored:

Will the National Anthem go longer than 2 mins:

Colour of the Gatorade thrown over winning head coach:

Your outrageous prediction:

8 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Alright, thanks to Barnsley’s pitch it’s become a purely NFL focused weekend and you know the drill by now, let’s have your predictions. Throwing in a few of the weird super bowl bets to keep things spicy.

Who you want to win the Super Bowl:

Actual Super Bowl winner:

Super Bowl MVP:

Player with most yards after scrimmage:

Over/Under 56.5 points scored:

Will the National Anthem go longer than 2 mins:

Colour of the Gatorade thrown over winning head coach:

Your outrageous prediction:

Not really fussed

Chiefs

Mahomes

Hill

over

?‍♂️

Red

Brady doesn’t throw a TD

Just seen the sad news that Chris Wesseling has passed away. Any of you who listen to the Around the NFL podcast will know Chris was an intelligent and honest man who shared his knowledge so well. Always found him interesting. Sad that he leaves his young son and wife, but at least he is now no longer in pain. RIP

Who you want to win the Super Bowl: Chiefs

Actual Super Bowl winner: Chiefs

Super Bowl MVP: Mahomes

Player with most yards after scrimmage: Kelce

Over/Under 56.5 points scored: Under

Will the National Anthem go longer than 2 mins: Yes

Colour of the Gatorade thrown over winning head coach: Orange

Your outrageous prediction: There will be an explosion during the third quarter. It will turn out to be one of the cannons that the Bucs said they would not blast, but an employee gets excited after the Bucs close the gap early in the second half.

14 hours ago, r4derby said:

Just seen the sad news that Chris Wesseling has passed away. Any of you who listen to the Around the NFL podcast will know Chris was an intelligent and honest man who shared his knowledge so well. Always found him interesting. Sad that he leaves his young son and wife, but at least he is now no longer in pain. RIP

Really upset me last night. It was fantastic to see him beat cancer the first time round and go on to get married, become a father and keep doing the job he loved. Really hoped he could do it again. 

Such a great man and a proper hero.

Who you want to win the Super Bowl: Chiefs

Actual Super Bowl winner: Chiefs

Super Bowl MVP: Travis Kelce 

Player with most yards after scrimmage: Travis Kelce

Over/Under 56.5 points scored: Over

Will the National Anthem go longer than 2 mins: YES. It’s a duet this year and I’m heavily in on the over hitting.

Colour of the Gatorade thrown over winning head coach: Blue. The world is shocked.

Your outrageous prediction: Bucs kick a FG on the opening drive and never lead the game again after.

Archived