Kobe Bryant

DarkFruitsRam7

10 hours ago, Anon said:

That's incredible. They don't even look similar. I wish they'd just gone a little further and used a picture of Pau Gasol.

I assume that the error has come from someone simply searching for Kobe Bryant videos and getting the videos of him on the sideline during Lakers games this season; cos even though he's in them for only a second - he'd still be tagged for the clicks.
It's shocking no-one checked the footage, mind.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SaintRam said:

I assume that the error has come from someone simply searching for Kobe Bryant videos and getting the videos of him on the sideline during Lakers games this season; cos even though he's in them for only a second - he'd still be tagged for the clicks.

INT - BBC NEWS OFFICE - DAY

EDITOR (shouting across the floor)

Reports coming out of America are saying an old basketball player has died in a helicopter crash.  We need video for the report in 5 minutes, anybody in from Sports yet?

CLEANING LADY

They've gone to get breakfast

EDITOR

Fine, you do it.  Fine something on Youtube and email it to me.  HURRY UP!

CLEANING LADY

What's he look like?

EDITOR

He's black, and used to play for the LA Lakers, I think.  Think they play in yellow and purple.

CLEANING LADY

I'm on it!

5 hours ago, SaintRam said:

This is huge in the basketball world and across America, but the truth is hardly anyone in the UK would have a clue who Kobe Bryant was. I'd never heard of him and it's the same with everyone I know (lots of sports fans included in that). For me the BBC and ITV slavishly followed the US networks with this as their "breaking news" story which opened both 10pm bulletins for five minutes, instead of many more important stories such as the Coronavirus thing. They were rushing for their "scoop" so, to me, it's not that surprising (terrible but not surprising) they picked footage of the wrong person.

There is one person from California in my twitter feed who tweeted about it lots, including posting a lovely (and heartbreaking now) video of him and his daughter. Terrible for the family.

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

This is huge in the basketball world and across America, but the truth is hardly anyone in the UK would have a clue who Kobe Bryant was. I'd never heard of him and it's the same with everyone I know (lots of sports fans included in that). For me the BBC and ITV slavishly followed the US networks with this as their "breaking news" story which opened both 10pm bulletins for five minutes, instead of many more important stories such as the Coronavirus thing. They were rushing for their "scoop" so, to me, it's not that surprising (terrible but not surprising) they picked footage of the wrong person.

There is one person from California in my twitter feed who tweeted about it lots, including posting a lovely (and heartbreaking now) video of him and his daughter. Terrible for the family.

Find that hard to believe, even if you know nothing about him as a person, you know the name Kobe Bryant. He transcended sport and was firmly in pop culture, starring in movies and even recording rap songs, let alone the countless references to him and the Lakers across all types of media. Maybe it's an age thing, but anyone who grew up through the 90s and 00s, he was unavoidable on some level.

8 minutes ago, Srg said:

Find that hard to believe, even if you know nothing about him as a person, you know the name Kobe Bryant. He transcended sport and was firmly in pop culture, starring in movies and even recording rap songs, let alone the countless references to him and the Lakers across all types of media. Maybe it's an age thing, but anyone who grew up through the 90s and 00s, he was unavoidable on some level.

I knew someone who genuinely had no idea who Kobe Bryant was; any time he was brought up in conversation, including in the past couple of days he's responded with, "Who's that?" - seemingly forgetting every time he's been told. Can't name a single basketball player if you ask him too, not even Michael Jordan.

But for as long as I've known him he's shouted "KOBE!" whenever throwing stuff in the bin ? 

3 hours ago, Srg said:

Maybe. I'm 46 and had never heard of him.

8 hours ago, Srg said:

7 hours ago, SaintRam said:

I knew someone who genuinely had no idea who Kobe Bryant was; any time he was brought up in conversation, including in the past couple of days he's responded with, "Who's that?" - seemingly forgetting every time he's been told. Can't name a single basketball player if you ask him too, not even Michael Jordan.

But for as long as I've known him he's shouted "KOBE!" whenever throwing stuff in the bin ? 

Definitely an age thing in this country.

Shouting 'Kobe!' when you throw something in the bin is a classic, and is probably the reason why non-basketball fans like me knew who he was. 

23 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

23 hours ago, Srg said:

Never heard of him.  I don't follow any American sports (NFL, Basketball, Baseball etc) but am an avid golf/tennis fan but can't say I'd ever heard of him prior to his untimely death.  My initial reaction was 'oh another helicopter crash, you'll never get me in one of those things!'

Sad for all the families and friends of those involved ?

Archived