Cocu and the youth: a great success story

Carl Sagan

I'm not sure about the idea that the kids will only be a success if they win promotion.  Following that logic, you'd only be able to take satisfaction in one season out of the last 17 seasons and ironically that would have been watching a Billy Davies team.

I think you can already justifiably call Cocu's approach a success.  And here's why.  In early December I think may of us were counting down the days until the transfer window opened and we could bring in four or five players to rejuvenate the squad.  The rise and rise of Knight, the emergence of Bird and the introduction of Sibley alone has probably saved the club between 5 and 10 million pounds.

I also think the emergence of Whittaker has saved us a couple of million if you consider we paid 2.5mil for FloJo.  I'm convinced he's a coming force and once he's got a first goal, he'll fly.

I'd also suggest that if we re-visited the value of the players named in the OP in 12 months time it will make Mel's 24mil investment in the academy look very shrewd.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know a lot of us on here cast envious eyes at the recruitment of teams like Brentford, and while it's clear that recruitment at Derby needs to improve, I think a lot of Championship clubs over the next few years will be similarly envious of our Academy system. Well, at least I hope so! 

31 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

I'm not sure about the idea that the kids will only be a success if they win promotion.  Following that logic, you'd only be able to take satisfaction in one season out of the last 17 seasons and ironically that would have been watching a Billy Davies team.

I think you can already justifiably call Cocu's approach a success.  And here's why.  In early December I think may of us were counting down the days until the transfer window opened and we could bring in four or five players to rejuvenate the squad.  The rise and rise of Knight, the emergence of Bird and the introduction of Sibley alone has probably saved the club between 5 and 10 million pounds.

I also think the emergence of Whittaker has saved us a couple of million if you consider we paid 2.5mil for FloJo.  I'm convinced he's a coming force and once he's got a first goal, he'll fly.

I'd also suggest that if we re-visited the value of the players named in the OP in 12 months time it will make Mel's 24mil investment in the academy look very shrewd.

Not disagreeing with you. I just took issue with the phrase "STUNNING success". 

On 26/01/2020 at 00:33, Inverurie Ram said:

Let's not forget Cocu and the coat: a great success story.

It's MEDIEVAL BLUE / EVENING BLUE and it has a velvety kind of hood and I did mention how important it would be at the start of our unbeaten run.

image.jpeg

Someone's been spiking your haggis, mate.

On 26/01/2020 at 02:00, Andicis said:

Lowe and Bogle have made no difference?

That's not tinpot, and that shows the entitlement of Derby fans. At the end of the day, we're not a big club. If the big rich clubs come after our players, we sell. Brentford are extremely well run, and as such doing extremely well. Why would you not want to be a Brentford? It's a great model for Championship sustainability and competing at the top.

Nobody has ever said that, but the academy has really helped supplement what we already had and made improvements. At the end of the day, that's only a good thing. 

Because it really doesn't matter how you come across success, by hook or by crook, if you start to succeed you should celebrate it. This is looking for negatives for the sake of looking for negatives. Why? You can spin anything into a negative, as you've just demonstrated. Give Cocu some respect for it, other managers have had injuries and never had the baalocks to play youth, looking at you Snakey. Just give some credit where it's due.

Deseves more than just a like - BRAVO

Before i go any further i have always been a Cocu "in" man. 

Cocu is doing what he was to do when brought in and that's bringing youth through, however i am not sure the other side of the coin is happening and that is Cocu having money available to bring experienced players in who are needed due to lack of finances.

It is being recognised by pundits who are commentating how well he is integrating youth into the 1st team and this will have been noted by owners of other clubs including some of those in the Prem.

I can see come the end of the season he may be "romanced" by other owners who can offer more in funds to bring in 2 or 3 high quality players if needed and also bring youth through (as seems to be the way of thinking now) especially if the current status quo remains here.

I believe Cocu to be a man of principle and experience with (as as he has stated) a winning mentality and would hope to see out the length of his contract but if a club offers him more than we can and left i would fully understand why. 

Archived