v Luton Town (A) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

46 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

So if it's at the discretion of the home club, why do any of them agree to it, then? - seeing as it hurts ticket sales etc....

I assumed it was a condition of the current TV deal that all games were on the red button.

I'm pretty sure the tv deal covers originally scheduled midweek fixtures, whereas additional midweek games due to re-arrangements are at the home clubs discretion.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, SKRam said:

Very decent interview. Exciting times ahead, keep the faith people and this is an acorn from which a mighty oak is growing. Compulsory viewing. 

We'll have no mention of O*ks growing in these parts, if you please.  Mighty or otherwise!  

38 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

So if it's at the discretion of the home club, why do any of them agree to it, then? - seeing as it hurts ticket sales etc....

I believe there is a set cost per game for using iFollow no matter how many people watch the game. However, money earnt is based on viewers. Smaller clubs such as Luton may not have enough viewers for certain games (when the opposition have their own service), so opt not to use the iFollow service.

From the first 12 rounds of games in the 18/19 season the largest iFollow viewing was Ipswich vs Norwich with only 3100 viewers - both clubs were using iFollow. That's £31k if all pay for a single match pass for the most watched game on iFollow (more liekly to be closer to £25k). Deduct the running costs, then take off the EFL's cut (c20% iirc), and Ipswich/Norwich probably took home £12k between them. Not much, but at least it's a few extra pennies in the bank making it worth it.

However, if Luton (using iFollow) are playing Derby (using RamsTV), the number of potential viewers drops as they're relying on Luton fans only. Depending on the running costs to use iFollow, they may not have enough viewers to turn a profit.

6 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I think I'll keep my tenner. 

£10 to watch Derby away at the minute is about £50 too much.

Same, but then, a travelodge on an industrial park in Liverpool is my current abode and I could use the escape from the Ed n Craig ongoing radio romance show and football commentary hybrid....

11 minutes ago, Sean said:

Does anyone realistically think Holmes will play tonight considering he was friends with Jordan Sinnott?

Didn't know about that, but I'd expect he'd want to play. If someone you know dies, my take has been to get busy living. But it's obviously going to be a personal decision.

Archived