Oktoberfest

Kinder

Has anyone been to Oktoberfest in Munich?  It's been on my bucket list for ages and I've just booked to go with my brother and a couple of mates.  We're there Thursday to Sunday.  Managed to get seats at tables in a couple of halls on the Friday and Saturday mornings.  The Saturday one is 9am - 2pm so we're probably going to crawl out of there!   Hoping to see a bit of Munich when we're not in the festival so any recommendations from people who've been would be great.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Kinder said:

Has anyone been to Oktoberfest in Munich?  It's been on my bucket list for ages and I've just booked to go with my brother and a couple of mates.  We're there Thursday to Sunday.  Managed to get seats at tables in a couple of halls on the Friday and Saturday mornings.  The Saturday one is 9am - 2pm so we're probably going to crawl out of there!   Hoping to see a bit of Munich when we're not in the festival so any recommendations from people who've been would be great.

Haven't been when it's Oktoberfest . But have been to Munich on a stag do .  People are friendly. They have a load of tables out and outside bars in the market square at the weekend. The city is very family orientated, so don't be surprised to see whole familes of locals sat together amongst the chaos joining in .  As I said the locals are very friendly and chatty so that was a bonus. Most go home after 9 and then it's a bit livelier. It's a big city so your right to go on recommendation on bars. As it was a few years ago I couldn't tell you names unfortunately but the beer is very clean and I didn't get hungover. There is a Keller not far from the market square that has 3 or 4 floors , live music, food etc and a hard rock café that was always busy  Went on a stadium tour of Bayern which was good but you do travel miles out which eats into your time.  I would rather have took a trip to see Hitlers home in the mountains which most hotels will offer or did .  Also take some summer clothing for the trip . I know it's Germany but I got caught out in the heat in April it was 80 degrees, the previous week it was freezing .Think it has fairly inclement weather due to it's proximity to mountains .

17 hours ago, Kinder said:

Yes I went there about 20 years ago was great fun. You won't get to see much of Munich when you're in not in the festival as after 5 hours of drinking premium German beer you'll be lucky if you can remember what hotel you were staying in 

21 hours ago, Kinder said:

Not been to Oktoberfest, but was there for a few days in August last year. A great city to visit. We did the Mike's Bike Tour as a quick way to get our bearings and see some of the sights in a limited space of time.  I can recommend the tour - they take you out to a massive beer garden in the park for lunch. Drinking and cycling is not frowned upon it seems! The Hofbrauhaus is the best beer hall from what I remember! I was 90% sausages and beer by the time we left

It looks like a really cool city. We’re starting early on Friday and Saturday with a good few hours of solid drinking so not expecting to see much after that, but hoping to explore a bit on the Sunday. That bike tour sounds good thanks. I’d love to go to the Eagle’s Nest but I think it’s a full day so will have to go back another time.

Archived