Who will be next season’s youth players to break through?

Stuniverse

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This season its only really knight and lowe who have established themselves. And it wasn't long ago that Lowe kept getting dropped for malone.

I was disappointed that bird was dropped v hull. He is more mobile than huddz or rooney, and one of our problems is that we are so static. 

Cocu seems to like huddz and it wouldn't even surprise me if he got another year. So bird is probably one for next season, and brown is behind him. Its hard to say who will break through after the timi max elsnik experience.

i'd like us to play 4141 - same as hull - with bird holding, and sibley and knight in the centre. At present there just doesn't seem to be room for sibley. Rooney is blocking sibley

We have a lack of cover at right back, particularly if wisdom goes to centre back, so it depends how fast ebosele develops. he could be the next one. 

Buchanan seems to have disappeared, but he would be adequate back up to Lowe. Malone is surplus to requirements in my world but I can't see buchanan breaking through whilst we still have fozzy and malone.

Shonibare is the thing i hate - a right footed left winger. Unless he gets to play on the right, or central, i cannot see him breaking through despite his promise. Archie Brown looks like a possible option on the left but perhaps not yet. I don't think we should be too shy of playing these players though, just becauses they are young. Look at Jude Bellingham! But they do need to develop physically in some cases.

Whilst we play with one up front and are linked with new strikers, you have to assume that there will be little opportunity for hector-ingram. We already have marriott, waghorn, martin, whittaker, and bennett ahead of him. Stretton needs to play u23 games before he comes into the reckoning. He might make the bench. He might get ten minutes. But i can't see him breaking through.

The rest don't seem to be knocking on the door just yet.  

29 minutes ago, RamNut said:

This season its only really knight and lowe who have established themselves. And it wasn't long ago that Lowe kept getting dropped for malone.

I was disappointed that bird was dropped v hull. He is more mobile than huddz or rooney, and one of our problems is that we are so static. 

Cocu seems to like huddz and it wouldn't even surprise me if he got another year. So bird is probably one for next season, and brown is behind him. Its hard to say who will break through after the timi max elsnik experience.

i'd like us to play 4141 - same as hull - with bird holding, and sibley and knight in the centre. At present there just doesn't seem to be room for sibley. Rooney is blocking sibley

We have a lack of cover at right back, particularly if wisdom goes to centre back, so it depends how fast ebosele develops. he could be the next one. 

Buchanan seems to have disappeared, but he would be adequate back up to Lowe. Malone is surplus to requirements in my world but I can't see buchanan breaking through whilst we still have fozzy and malone.

Don’t really see much of the academy apart from the odd screened game I watch but found myself nodding to most of this.

Think you have nailed the problem for Sibley, unless he gets to alternate with Bird. Buchanan will surely get past Malone and Fozzy in time, or go on loan as Max did.

Left out the bit about JHI but get what you mean, although much as I hare to see him under utilised or go, doubt Martin will be here next year.

6 hours ago, RamNut said:

Me, too.

5 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Cocu seems to like huddz and it wouldn't even surprise me if he got another year. So bird is probably one for next season, and brown is behind him.

I agree with that as well. Huddlestone really does seem to be Cocu’s type of player.

6 hours ago, RamNut said:

Its hard to say who will break through after the timi max elsnik experience

Yes, I was very surprised we released Elsnik as I rated Elsnik highly. Saw a recent interview where Elsnik had offers from League One and League two teams, but he thought he could do better. Fair play to him, he’s now signed for a club back home.

Assuming we aren't really in with a playoff shout with 6-10 games remaining, would be lovely to finish season with Lowe, Bogle, Knight, Sibley and Bird all starting. The other 6 players made up by Rooney, Holmes, GK, CF and a 2 CBs.

Lots of other kids on the bench plus any others who are definitely going to be around next season.

Forget trying to find wingers who play in a 4-3-3. Use the young players we have at our disposal.

I like both the Brown twins and can see Archie and Whittaker having a similar impact in the front line that Knight, Bird and Sibley have started to have this season.

Jordan Brown, Buchanan and Ebosele all on the face of it seem to be vying for (left) full back spots and all have their merits.  Festy can run very, very, very quickly with the ball, Buchanan has already been around the first team earlier in the season and Brown appears very versatile.  It might be Brown's versatility that sees him around the fringes of the first team first (maybe even later in the current season if we don't sign many).

JHI is intriguing because so many seem to be calling for him.  I'm not sure and can see a variety of possible outcomes with none anymore obvious than the next.  Does he break through this season as injuries open up a surprise slot?  Does he head off to Aberdeen for 12 months and come back a revelation?  Does he continue to play with the u23's making limited progress?  Does he drop behind a fit Jack Stretton in the pecking order?  Does he sign on a permanent for Barnsley?  Or does he make good progress and start to feature round the edge of the first team next season.  Could be any of them for me.

Final shout is for Liam Thompson.  Not seen a huge amount but what I have seen I like.  I suppose like pretty much everyone else in the academy it's a matter of head down and make the most of your ability.  The door to the first team has been barged open and it's now down to you.

I’m not sure there’s anyone particulary close yet that hasn’t made an appearance yet. Well probably see more of those who’ve made limited appearances, but I can’t think of anyone who hasn’t really been in the picture yet who looks really close currently. Have to remember the U23s are quite a young squad with some development to go yet. That said of course, when youngsters break through is very difficult to predict. Often they come out of nowhere and stake a claim, so it’s entirely possible we’ll see serious progress in a couple of players by the time next season comes around, and they’ll break into the squad. Pre season is normally when young players get their chance, we’ll probably see some break through that none of us even considered at that point!

Archived