v Northampton Town (A) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Not sure how important he is to them but Northampton have had a player sent off tonight

According to their forum:

"A hammer blow having Wharton suspended. To give us our best chance we needed our best players available. It will disrupt the collective team that has done so well. I'm guessing Reece Hall-Johnson could slot in instead, or Jay Wiliams but he's not been close to the first team. Can't see us going to a back four after the success we've had with a 3 and wing backs.
An interesting couple of days for KC and the coaching staff."

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

According to their forum:

"A hammer blow having Wharton suspended. To give us our best chance we needed our best players available. It will disrupt the collective team that has done so well. I'm guessing Reece Hall-Johnson could slot in instead, or Jay Wiliams but he's not been close to the first team. Can't see us going to a back four after the success we've had with a 3 and wing backs.
An interesting couple of days for KC and the coaching staff."

I found the guy who had been looking at our squad pictures and deciding we have an ugly team incapable of forming a boy band more interesting...

I mean he could be right, but we do have the front man of Coldplay.

5 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Well I actually do get BT sport through my virgin media package - but someone can’t go now so they have offered me their ticket so I’d best take that option as I do like away cup games 

That's a stroke of good fortune for you. Any chance I can bob around to your house and watch the game whilst you're out? I promise I'll leave it tidy. ??

4 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

That's a stroke of good fortune for you. Any chance I can bob around to your house and watch the game whilst you're out? I promise I'll leave it tidy. ??

There will be tin foil all over the gaff!.........and the strong stench...........................................of glue!

image.jpg

Looking forward to this game, will be watching it on BT sports, as I could not get a ticket, if Shinnie and Marriott are both fit I would deffo start them, so my 11 would be.

Roos

Wisdom.      Davis.     Clarke.       Malone

Bird.            Shinnie

Holmes.           Rooney.          Knight

Marriott. 

Think this team would get us a 2-0 victory, let's get behind them with Marriotts pace, and have runners in behind, Holmes and Knight, with Rooney picking the passes off all game. And have some energy in there with Shinnie, and also Bird will keep the ball, and he has more movement than Huddlestone, come on you Rams, get us through, and hopefully get a big draw at home to someone like Chelsea. 

I don't like the sound of this, it's not like we're rock solid from set peices and crosses.

It’s not just the attitude towards the Cup that’s different in lower divisions. The style of play that has brought Northampton recent success is not quite the same as that Phillip Cocu is trying to instill in his Derby team. Curle described his tactics against Burton in the following terms: “Plan A was to get the ball into [striker] Vadaine Oliver, upset them aerially and get runners off him. Plan B was for more of the same.”

Derby’s slick passers would therefore be well advised to take care on long throws, free-kicks and corners when the lights go up at Sixfields. “We take our time and we work on those quite a lot the day before a game,” Turnbull says. “We’re repetitive with it. It’s come to fruition a lot recently. We score a lot of goals from set pieces, and we want to keep on doing that.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/23/northampton-jordan-turnbull-wayne-rooney-manchester-united-Derby-fa-cup

1 minute ago, Shipley Ram said:

I don't like the sound of this, it's not like we're rock solid from set peices and crosses.

It’s not just the attitude towards the Cup that’s different in lower divisions. The style of play that has brought Northampton recent success is not quite the same as that Phillip Cocu is trying to instill in his Derby team. Curle described his tactics against Burton in the following terms: “Plan A was to get the ball into [striker] Vadaine Oliver, upset them aerially and get runners off him. Plan B was for more of the same.”

Derby’s slick passers would therefore be well advised to take care on long throws, free-kicks and corners when the lights go up at Sixfields. “We take our time and we work on those quite a lot the day before a game,” Turnbull says. “We’re repetitive with it. It’s come to fruition a lot recently. We score a lot of goals from set pieces, and we want to keep on doing that.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/23/northampton-jordan-turnbull-wayne-rooney-manchester-united-Derby-fa-cup

Davies and Clarke will be starting at CB, Hudd at DM, Martin CF.

2 hours ago, Shipley Ram said:

Well the above comments seem spot on.

Having just survived a haircut from my Cobblers supporting hairdresser (well I don't think I have NTFC shaved into the back of my head !!)

Without being aware of above article/comment he confirmed that most of their goals come from set pieces. They apparently have six players around 6'2" or above and will play the long ball. They usually play 5 at the back but will miss the lad who was sent off the other night. Nevertheless Oliver their centre forward usually wins a lot of balls in the air and Goode their Captain at centre half is known as the proverbial  brick sh@thouse !! It will be physical and if Rooney and/or Hudds play then they are not likely to get much time on the ball.

Whilst good in the air they are very slow at the back and usually concede goals to fast breakaways.

So it's not going to be easy or pretty. We will need to be 'up for a fight' from the off and ideally by the sounds of it we could do with Marriott and Holmes providing the speedy attacks, with ideally Shinnie putting his foot in in midfield and Roos will need to be positive with his punched clearances.!!

COYRs

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Davies and Clarke will be starting at CB, Hudd at DM, Martin CF.

Bet you it's Waghorn & Marriott up front.

“We need to be aware and solid. You have to try and play football against them, which will be the challenge for us..."

An amusing comment from Cocu.

Egg chasers tend to vacate the pubs just before 7, Town fans will hang in there a bit longer. You might get in the Walter Tull for a drink but it will either be packed or home fans only or maybe both.  The bowling alley has a bar as do all the eateries at Sixfields. There are pubs in Duston where you will get in, but they are 15/20 minutes walk  away. You should be able to get a drink in the ground up till kick off. Avoid going towards the Town centre as that's closer to the Rugby ground therefore busier. 

Archived