v Northampton Town (A) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

How’s dry January going?

mustache smile GIF by britbox

Haha. Decided early on to make exceptions for away games, so I drank at Palace. I also drank on Friday night because my sister was up in Manchester with her husband and their friends, and they're all doing so well that they ordered champagne with our meal. How could I turn that down?

My semi-dry January will end on Thursday 23rd, as that's the date of my last January exam and is a suitable occasion to get rat-arsed, in my opinion.

I did manage to hold my nerve on two or three social occasions that I would usually drink at, so I suppose it was better than nothing. I've decided that there's no point wasting my university years doing this again. Perhaps I'll do it properly when I'm 25!

8 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Much changed team I think.

It's a cup match so there's every chance an up for it team from a lower division could get a result.

Talking to some Northampton supporters, they were talking about a very up and over hoofball tactic that they employ. Not always easy to play against. Can never take these games for granted I suppose.

Like to think we have enough squad quality though 

I’m surprised to see so many saying make a much changed team, I’d say with our current away form and fragile confidence we should put a similar spine of the team out to hopefully tear these apart and go into the Luton game on a high.

Roos - keepers often swapped for cup ties. 
Bogle 

Wisdom 

Clarke 

Lowe 

Rooney 
Huddlestone 

Knight 

Lawrence 

Waghorn 

Sibley

I’d give Holmes a rest but only because he covers so much grass for us and it give us a chance to play the highly rated Sibley. This team just needs to get addicted to winning games and rotating 5/6 players could be counterproductive especially when we have got an extra day to prepare for Luton. 

If we beat these both away then the team will loose that fear of playing away they’ve had until now. 

The team that won away at Palace put in one of the best performances of the season and most of those players should be used again for this game. otherwise, what's the point? But if we're hoping Wisdom can be the answer at centre half, we need to further cement that partnership,

Roos

Bogle     Wisdom     Clarke     Malone

Bird     Huddlestone

Whittaker     Rooney    Sibley

Martin

Subs: Ravas  Davies  Lowe  Holmes  Shinnie  Lawrence  Waghorn

Obviously assuming Shinnie is close enough to make the bench and Marriott won't be fit enough or risked. Knight is given a break as he deserves one. Fozzy misses out too.

I would make 11 changes for this game. It is important to give our fringe players a game and also introduce some young exciting players.

Roos

Ebosele   Davies  Forsyth    Malone

Bird   Shinnie

Sibley

Whitaker      Martin      Josefzoon

Subs:   Ravas   Wisdom   Huddlestone  Holmes Rooney Marriott  Hector-Ingram

Ebosele is an exciting young prospect, strong, fast and with a good temperament. If a team comes with a £10M offer for Bogle in the next 10 days, at least we can see if he can play at this level. We have introduced a number of young players this season in to the side and they have also shown they are fearless and talented. H-I is also playing well at U-23 Level and deserves a chance to see if he can play in the first-team.

The following two matches against Luton and Stoke, win those games and we are then a touching distance away from the play-offs. I think this team is good enough to win at Northampton.

Last time i went to Northampton my '2nd team' Shrewsbury because its where my family is from hit 7 past them... I expect at least 20 on that basis! 

In all seriousness rest key players and give fringe players a run out we should have enough to get through even with fringe players. 3-1 win.

13 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Much changed team I think.

It's a cup match so there's every chance an up for it team from a lower division could get a result.

Have you got a half life ? 

COYR .. we want a kind of 1960’s Glentoran V Liverpool - one of those 10 nil against minnows jobs .. won’t happen but you know it would be nice once ina while. Meanwhile pass me the strontium 

24 minutes ago, jono said:

Have you got a half life ? 

COYR .. we want a kind of 1960’s Glentoran V Liverpool - one of those 10 nil against minnows jobs .. won’t happen but you know it would be nice once ina while. Meanwhile pass me the strontium 

I'd prefer the Derby 12 Finn Harps 0 version    Sept 1976  Thank you.

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The team that won away at Palace put in one of the best performances of the season and most of those players should be used again for this game. otherwise, what's the point? But if we're hoping Wisdom can be the answer at centre half, we need to further cement that partnership,

Roos

Bogle     Wisdom     Clarke     Malone

Bird     Huddlestone

Whittaker     Rooney    Sibley

Martin

Subs: Ravas  Davies  Lowe  Holmes  Shinnie  Lawrence  Waghorn

Obviously assuming Shinnie is close enough to make the bench and Marriott won't be fit enough or risked. Knight is given a break as he deserves one. Fozzy misses out too.

Why would you give Knight a rest? Given the choice as an 18 year old debut season do you reckon he wants or needs one? 

He’ll want more game time, build more confidence and get better... 

furthermore from a team perspective, I think there’s other players that would need the break more... due to their injury records and age etc. 

7 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

Why would you give Knight a rest? Given the choice as an 18 year old debut season do you reckon he wants or needs one? 

He’ll want more game time, build more confidence and get better... 

furthermore from a team perspective, I think there’s other players that would need the break more... due to their injury records and age etc. 

It's a good question. My reasoning is that young players often find it hard to maintain a level of performance and it's good to keep them fresh and raring to go. I'm also saying to Knight that "you've done so well I'm saving you for the League because you're already such an important player for us and I want to keep you fresh".

I also think it's important to give Sibley and Whittaker starts to help bring them on, but if you remove Rooney and bring Knight in there your midfield is too inexperienced. My team is a blend of youth and experience and I think it's important to get that balance right if you're going to develop the youngsters properly. But I acknowledge there are arguments for playing Knight - of course there are.

Archived