v Northampton Town (A) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

With our starting XI, in a game which actually matters...

We'll have to agree to disagree. If a few changes means we are the equivalent of League 2 then we're in trouble. 

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Yeah I particularly enjoyed us getting pumped 1-4 at home by a Sunderland team so awful it's now a documentary & then 1-3 by Burton.

Chill yourself. It was a fight with a horrible long ball team who had the ref in their pocket. Many a Derby team would have lost tonight, we didnt ?

So you’re blaming refs now to help justify a goalless draw against L2 rubbish like that? As for us getting pumped I’ve seen that twice in person already this season at Brentford and Reading, and I’m really ducking fed up of it. Cocu is clueless and we are going nowhere. If you are happy to spend your hard earned on watching that dullards team week in eeek our good for you;.  

10 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I don't think we're all being Mandy drama queens we're just saying it as it was: a poor game and a pretty rubbish performance. Knight got in some good positions but I really can't think of anything more positive to say than that.

Was the pitch that bad? Not saying it wasn't but I can't say that I noticed it on TV. 

Not all, just some, the usual ones you only ever see after a poor performance.

I'm not having a go at people for simply saying we were crap when we were crap!

Pointing out how poor it was is one thing, losing all perspective, being unable to or refusing to apply context to it is another.

I'd like to say that the problem was that we dropped down to Northampton Town's level; in truth we didn't reach their level.

I'd be disappointed at the draw if I was one of their fans.

Of our players, Martin and Marriott didn't offer enough.

On that performance, Malone and Roos wouldn't get into their team. Davies looked about on a par with their CHs (which he probably is nowadays). 

And that's 5 of the starting 11.

Couple that with no game plan against their (known about in advance) long ball and we were poor.

The Radio Draby clowns seemed to be confident post match that the replay would be totally different as it will be here. As if that's a given. I can't quite see how and why without some changes from Cocu.

If I was Curle, I'd do exactly the same thing again and hope that the big lump up front hits the target.

13 minutes ago, I Bought the Tee Shirt said:

Really, I'd have thought the poor excuse of officials were the most annoying thing, I'm still shaking my head as to why/how their MOTM wasn't sent off, We can all be critical of our performance, The clown in the blue shirt changed the game, Those having a pop at our players should be pointing a finger at the hopeless ref, He didn't do HIS job.

Nah, I stand by what I said tbh. The ref was rubbish but he shouldn't really even be a factor, we should still have had enough about us to see Northampton off with an even number of players and some iffy decisions!

I'm annoyed at our players failing to show any extra quality when it mattered because it facilitates some of the overreactions you get on here and reignites the anti-cocu brigade's one-eyed assessments when they've been strangely quiet of late.

I love the FA Cup and it is fantastic. But we are not renowned for doing well in this competition, are we?

Even at our best, we make hard work of these games. Didn’t we scrape past Accrington last year by the skin of our teeth under Lampard? I don’t recall that being a classic either...

Personally, seeing the game finish 0-0 was a huge relief. It had 1-0 Northampton written all over it.

I think we have two bigger games in the next 8 days that will really lay a marker down for where we are going under Cocu. Can we finally win away in the league? And can we keep the winning run going at home?

6 points and tonight will be quickly forgotten about. In fact most of you have probably already erased it from memory.

Just now, Jayram said:

So you’re blaming refs now to help justify a goalless draw against L2 rubbish like that? As for us getting pumped I’ve seen that twice in person already this season at Brentford and Reading, and I’m really ducking fed up of it. Cocu is clueless and we are going nowhere. If you are happy to spend your hard earned on watching that dullards team week in eeek our good for you;.  

Ok, thanks for your permission & yes I absolutely do blame the referee for a decision so poor, it must have been on Juventus' payroll. Unlike you though I have an idea of context & perspective and hence I couldn't give a monkeys whether we beat Northampton bloody whatever in one game or two. Its utterly irrelevant.

I want us to go to the Premier League, survive comfortably, then win things & the one guaranteed way NOT to do that is sack your manager every 2 months simply because someone expects us to pump every League Two team 5-0. Ergo, the constant whining makes you sound like an over-entitled kid...its football, stuff happens. We'll be better for it if we dont lose our collective shizzle.

Hope that helps ?

2 minutes ago, goldstar said:

Call me a non-fan of the Cup then because I'd love us to thrash a team by 3 or 4 goals and if we can't do it against a league 2 side with Rooney on the pitch and a lot of first teamers, then thats oretty depressing. Pleased for Knight and Bird but i'm so bored of the way we play. 

How many times do teams go away from home against lower league opposition and win by 3 or 4? Especially a night game live on tv? These are difficult games to manage and I thought we did that quite well, we just didn’t quite take advantage at the rare moments we found space. 

Give Northampton some credit, yes the were route one merchants lacking quality but they worked incredibly hard. They shut us down and didn't let us play. We won at Palace as they did let us play. I don't think Northampton could sustain that performance every game, and if they stepped of the gas we would look much better.

Saying that we were dissapointing, apart from Bird, and Knight.

Archived