Best away GK performance?

Mick Harford

A few of us were lucky to see Colin Boulton, Mark Wallington, Eric Steele and of course Peter Shilton.

But who was the best opposition keeper you ever saw?

For me it was Paul Reece for Oxford, closely followed by Kevin Pressman in a cup game at the BBG. I'll even let Reecey off for being a Notts lad.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can remember the Paul Reece performance unreal ..Oxford beat us 1 - 0 at bbg .... After we dominated the entire game ....but Reece let 5 in in his next game ..I believe in a 5 - 5 draw v Pompey ...  I've got to say Shilton v Newcastle away 0 - 0 ...he saved everything that day ...were it could have been 4 , 5 ,6 possibly 7 

10 minutes ago, neil62uk said:

Can remember the Paul Reece performance unreal ..Oxford beat us 1 - 0 at bbg .... After we dominated the entire game ....but Reece let 5 in in his next game ..I believe in a 5 - 5 draw v Pompey ...  I've got to say Shilton v Newcastle away 0 - 0 ...he saved everything that day ...were it could have been 4 , 5 ,6 possibly 7 

I didnt do that game, but I believe that Arthur Cox demanded @Peter Shiltonj jersey at the end.

7 hours ago, Red_ram said:

Not sure it was specifically down to the keeper but I vividly remembering when we drew 0-0 at home to Crewe in 2004 it felt like one of the most one sided games I’d ever seen and couldn’t believe we hadn’t won.

Yes. Big black lad in goal for them, can't remember his name...??

9 hours ago, Mick Harford said:

A few of us were lucky to see Colin Boulton, Mark Wallington, Eric Steele and of course Peter Shilton.

But who was the best opposition keeper you ever saw?

For me it was Paul Reece for Oxford, closely followed by Kevin Pressman in a cup game at the BBG. I'll even let Reecey off for being a Notts lad.

Knew him during his Grimsby days. Big Derby fan was Paul. 

He also had a blinder when he played for Grimsby against us on Boxing Day at The Baseball Ground.

1 hour ago, derbydaz22 said:

We got thrashed at Anfield around the same time I think it was 5-0 but Shilton stopped it from being double figures that night Liverpool looked like they had 15 men on the pitch.

I was there that night and what a fantastic night - the best away league game ever - we lost 4-0 Shilton was fantastic Liverpool were fantastic 

and so was the Fatty with the stick - anyone who was there will know what I am talking about 

1 hour ago, Charlie George said:

Knew him during his Grimsby days. Big Derby fan was Paul. 

He also had a blinder when he played for Grimsby against us on Boxing Day at The Baseball Ground.

Langley Mill lad is Paul went to secondary school with his older brother. 

Always thought Paul would make a decent keeper even though he wasn't the tallest 

Was coaching in the US last I heard 

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Speaking of away GK performances, how bad was that Hull goalie today? Christ I thought Hamer was bank on the ball! No wonder he was reportedly a target for our recruitment team?

He made a superb save from Jason Knight in the 1st half. Still don't know how he kept that out. 

14 hours ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

Langley Mill lad is Paul went to secondary school with his older brother. 

Always thought Paul would make a decent keeper even though he wasn't the tallest 

Was coaching in the US last I heard 

Aldercar School?    I remember a Paul and Jamie Reece when I was there.

Archived