What 3 pieces of advice would you give yourself

Alph

Going to 4 different High Schools in 4 year’s really won’t set you back too much.

At 21, being married, being a dad and buying your first house will be worth it in the end.

At 40, still being with your teenage sweetheart  and being able to travel the world will make you a better person.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At 11 brushing your teeth is very important - always look after your teeth.

At 21 play hard, but do all you can to make sure you have skills and qualities that will be sought by employers in the immediate future, and which you might be able to apply for your own benefit if you strike out on your own.

At 40 remember life is not a rehearsal. Years fly by at twice the speed 40 to 80 than they do 0 to 40.

11: Find the thing that you want to do for the rest of your life and commit to being as good at it as you possibly can, whatever it is

21: Make sure you will only regret the things you did, not the things you didn't do

40: Be happy with the life you are building and, if you are not, change the things that make you unhappy

13 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

At 40 remember life is not a rehearsal. Years fly by at twice the speed 40 to 80 than they do 0 to 40.

As someone once said to me, life is like a toilet roll in that the nearer you get to the end the faster it goes. With more yesterdays than tomorrows I can't over emphasise how true this is. Also, get past 50 and you really learn the meaning of the phrase 'over the hill' - it happens overnight but you wake up one morning and realise the banner has been passed, your generation is no longer the one in charge.

Being relatively happy and secure for the last few years with a great little family, I'd be wary of giving any advice which would put my life on a different track, so I'll stick to one:

21 years old: Get that persistant heartburn checked out & sorted.

11 - There are other sports and not just football.  You love watching them now and wished you participated.

21 - Magaluf was a great holiday with a lot of great experiences, but if you'd have invested the money in shares you were advised to by trusted people, you'd be £250k better off today and not just vaguely remembering a 5 minute quickie ankle deep in piss in KFC.  That £250k would have created far more memories now.

40 - I'll be there in 2 months but wish I was better at DIY and other building work.  Would save me a fortune and is strangely satisfying when I do it and get it right.

On 17/01/2020 at 18:04, Alpha said:

When you were starting senior school

Finger as many girls as you can.

You won't know what you're doing, neither will they, but it's a valuable life lesson that prepares you for working hard, pretending to enjoy it,  without any appreciable reward at the end of it.

Sets you up for the next 50 years of work.

If your school's anything like mine, it will also give you a headstart in barter, persuasion and negotiation skills.

Then another piece when you turned 21.

You'll probably have learned that 'Just say no' is terrible advice, if drugs weren't fun then why do people take them?

But learn your personal limits, if the downs require more assistance than the ups, probably not for you.

Then one final piece when you turn 40.

Finally you'll be comfortable in your own skin.

Live and let live, don't waste time worrying about things you can't change, and endeavour to change the things you can. Or whack on a box set and relax, the choice is yours, you've earned it.

11 - Don't get your hopes up. You have no athletic ability, no musical talent, you're pretty goofy looking and not going to suddenly blossom into a handsome hunk irresistable to the opposite sex, also you don't even particularly have the brainpower to succeed at any great intellectual level. Take a look at your genes, they're pretty pants. You'll probably be bald by 40.

To be honest with you mate, I'd give up on any ambition right now, you'll only be a disappointment to yourself and end up spiralling into self hatred and despair, worseing with every passing year.

21 - What did I tell you about not getting your hopes up? Wise up kid, it's not going to get any easier! Oh another thing, don't directly link your own emotional wellbeing to the fortunes of a football team, you idiot!

31 (I'm cheating) - Were you even listening 10 years ago, nevermind 20? I'm glad to see you haven't developed any any career aspirations, just stick with the job you've got now, you wouldn't be able to cope with the stress of a more advanced role, you can't even answer a telephone for god's sake! Congratulations of finding a girlfriend though. I know she may be 13 years older than you and not the young, cute alternative girl you'd always lusted after but hey, I did warn you! Oh and FFS man, sort your health out you fat bar steward. Stop drinking so much, get some exercise, get your cholesterol checked out or you'll be checking out before you reach 40!

Christ that was depressing,

The only advice here is not to turn to that little voice in your head for advice (even if he did get most things pretty much spot on), and probably pay more attention to / believe other people when they do say nice things about you (even when you think they're lying!)

Archived