What 3 pieces of advice would you give yourself

Alph

When you were starting senior school

Then another piece when you turned 21

Then one final piece when you turn 40.

(If you're not 21 or 40 then just the one you can do. If you haven't started senior school then it's not too late to follow Liverpool)

I hand you the time machine 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don’t under any circumstances start smoking “to keep in” with lads at school, you’ll move away from Derby when you are 18 an never see them again, so duck ‘em.

Don’t spend 10 years “out to lunch” you will regret the time you wasted and the money spent.

Get yourself a Rottweiler, you will get one when you’re 58, and wish you’d got one years ago.

Work hard choose a career that will provide you with the lifestyle you wish to achieve.You can always change career but the qualifications and training will always remain.,and give you life choices 6 years graft at school may Seam eternity but when your older six years goes in a flash.

Travel ,explore before commitments ,mortgages ,wife's and kids the you down .

At 40,Be happy with your lot make plans for retirement ,start saving,the next 20 years fly by

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

Cut your hair and stop being such a nob.

Cut your hair and stop being such a nob.

Then one final piece when you turn 40

God you're such a nob. Stop it.

I often think about this. My philosophies and outlook on life are a quantum leap from those of the people who surrounded me. I resent going to a rubbish school, I resent having alcoholic father, I resent having no real positive influence on me. Such is that I only began properly living when I got to 30. Before that I lived a nothingness life, in the pub, earning beer tokens, not having holidays or driving etc. I never knew people who spoke about holidays and sport etc.

I've have loads of advice, but if you pin me to 1 per section, it'd be:-

When you were starting senior school - don't be embarrassed to follow a talent. There's nothing "gay" about being musically talented or athletic, do not let those who don't have talent make you bury your own talent for fear of being ostracised. When you're an adult, most of those people you go to school with won't matter in your life.

Then another piece when you turned 21 - try and secure a career that doesn't have a limited amount of growth, Don't go into something like caring, no matter how noble, it will never pay. What decisions you make career wise (and pensions/mortgages etc) will sort you out when you get to 40s.

Then one final piece when you turn 40 - I'd like to think most people won't have many decisions that they need to make at 40. I would say, be as fit and active as you can, try and do something at least 4 times a week.

4 hours ago, Alpha said:

(If you're not 21 or 40 then just the one you can do. If you haven't started senior school then it's not too late to follow Liverpool)

1/  Shave your head, á la Uncle Mel.

2/  Marry someone called Mel.

3/  Have a "MEL" Tattoo.

But seriously - it is an interesting thread.

Senior school: Relax. Try and be nice to everyone. Understand that everyone has crap they're going through. The cool kids, the unpopular kids, the bullys, the nerds... they're all the same really. Dont discriminate - be yourself with everyone and be nice to everyone. Dont bother with trying to be cool, especially at someone else's expense. You'll regret it forever. Be yourself, be kind, chill.

21: Do exactly what you did anyway but without worrying about it, you'll never regret any of the time you spend travelling. Probably don't take quite so many drugs though.

40: Well I'm only 41 so I probably don't have enough retrospect but... spend every minute you can with your kids. Take them to the beach, bike rides, water parks... you'll never regret a single one of those minutes. 

This is a good one Alpha.

Senior school don’t limit your ambitions or constrain your friendships. Be happy.

21 the world is your oyster, see it, explore it, experience it in as many ways possible before finding your own family. Think positive.

40 live life to the full, you’ve possibly seen a few your age “disappear”, you never know what’s around the corner, so make the most of every day, especially time with kids or family. Try and be happy and positive.

7 hours ago, Alpha said:

Enjoy every moment. I know I'm only young, but I do already miss the days of being at school without a care in the world.

I turn 21 in 10 months, so I can't really contribute to this. However, hopefully, my new year's resolutions of being a better friend and slightly less of a gobshite (especially after a drink) will have come to fruition by then.

Duck knows. Hopefully I'll be married with kids.

When you were starting senior school - Take it more seriously, there is more to school that football and girls

Then another piece when you turned 21 - Contrary to the above, don't be too serious, don't assume that every relationship is the 'one', and don't be too shy to notice and act upon the signals the fit older girl in the office was giving off so that when you reach 40 you don't look back and say in a Chandler way 'Could she have been any more obvious'.

Then one final piece when you turn 40. - Tough one , i might have something for this when im older....probably be along the lines of make sure you spend more time with family, especially parents. Pretty sure despite the fact i do try and i will look back one day and wish i had done even more.

18 hours ago, Alpha said:

The forth form girls are better fun.

Bonk them all you might miss a good one .[real advice I got from my uncle]

40''s a great age nothing too young or too old.

17 hours ago, Paul71 said:

When you were starting senior school - Take it more seriously, there is more to school that football and girls

Then another piece when you turned 21 - Contrary to the above, don't be too serious, don't assume that every relationship is the 'one', and don't be too shy to notice and act upon the signals the fit older girl in the office was giving off so that when you reach 40 you don't look back and say in a Chandler way 'Could she have been any more obvious'.

Then one final piece when you turn 40. - Tough one , i might have something for this when im older....probably be along the lines of make sure you spend more time with family, especially parents. Pretty sure despite the fact i do try and i will look back one day and wish i had done even more.

The first two would be mine too. 

I'm not 40 for 6 years but I'm trying hard to spend quality time with my children. I already have regrets about not always enjoying them when they were younger. Especially my 5 year old. She was a handful and I definitely should have done a lot differently. The regret is a burden now but just trying to make it up to her. 

11-Work and study as hard as possible to set the foundation for the future 

21-Begin the pension with as much as you can-early savings to build up the pot pays dividends later

40-Realise when you are becoming irrelevant and change the situation asap

Archived