EFL charge Derby over ffp

alexxxxx

1 hour ago, Rams-in-Spain said:

That's simply not true! The academy was set up before MM took over, most of the platers coming through have been at Derby many years. The squad is weaker than when he took over and the finances are in a much worse state! 

Our two most valuable youth players Jason Knight and Jayden Bogle both joined the academy during Mel Morris's period of ownership. The academy is in a vastly superior state now from facilities to coaching staff to playing staff - all have been upgraded.

Maybe the squad is weaker, but it isn't going to be the same level of quality forever - FFP won't allow it. We might be losing a lot of money on wages, but the lcub has set records for commercial revenue under Mels tenure.

Your life as a Derby fan must be pretty grim if don't want Mel as the owner. I can only imagine how bad it must have been for you during the GSe and three amigos years.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The foundations for the academy were created by Nigel Clough. Way before MAC the academy was a success with the likes of Hughes and Hendrick. 

100% this.

It had been neglected for many years before it started being taken seriously in the Nigel Clough days. To be fair to Mel, he invested and backed the academy heavily but there was a good foundation there. Isn't also the case that none of the youth team brought in under Mac 1 actually made it as first teamers?

2 hours ago, GenBr said:

Our two most valuable youth players Jason Knight and Jayden Bogle both joined the academy during Mel Morris's period of ownership. The academy is in a vastly superior state now from facilities to coaching staff to playing staff - all have been upgraded.

Maybe the squad is weaker, but it isn't going to be the same level of quality forever - FFP won't allow it. We might be losing a lot of money on wages, but the lcub has set records for commercial revenue under Mels tenure.

Your life as a Derby fan must be pretty grim if don't want Mel as the owner. I can only imagine how bad it must have been for you during the GSe and three amigos years.

Yes it will be pretty grim if we are docked points and in all honesty then the blame will be 100%  that of MM!  We've all invested in the club during our lifetimes, I'm for one am not happy with the current developments. 

3 hours ago, Rams-in-Spain said:

The foundations for the academy were created by Nigel Clough. Way before MAC the academy was a success with the likes of Hughes and Hendrick. 

I think you will find the foundations were in place way before clough as well. Hughes and Hendrick were not the first two players through our academy. George burley and his staff had as big, if not bigger impact on the academy during their time.

5 minutes ago, Rams-in-Spain said:

Yes it will be pretty grim if we are docked points and in all honesty then the blame will be 100%  that of MM!  We've all invested in the club during our lifetimes, I'm for one am not happy with the current developments. 

I wish you'd just stop sitting on the fence and admit you don't like Mel.?

Not sure what the "we've all invested in the club during our lifetimes" has got to do with anything.

4 minutes ago, Poynton ram said:

Think some people have very short memories. It was great when we had Jeremy Keith and his mates running the club with very high interest loans crippling the club eh, need to be careful what we wish for......

Anyway when is the EFL hearing, must be soon?

48 Hours

Congratulations. Only half a dozen posts and you made my ignore list already. That's a record I doubt anyone will ever match.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, The Orange Pimpernel said:

How have we all invested in the club? 

I would consider a few thousand hours travelling to games home and away in all weathers over a lifetime, despite some awful football on show on occasion a considerable investment. A supporters time is always a considerable investment. There is also monetary investment unless match tickets, shirts, programmes, coach travel, beer, food have always been free and no-one told me.

Sometimes a supporters level of investment is matched by the club's  hierachy , sometimes it isn't - depends who's running the ship .  Derby fan's tend to turn up at a pretty steady rate anyway, so I consider our investment equal to any and better than most .

13 hours ago, Rams-in-Spain said:

That's simply not true! The academy was set up before MM took over, most of the platers coming through have been at Derby many years. The squad is weaker than when he took over and the finances are in a much worse state! 

What a joker.yes it was set up before mel but if it wasnt for mel we would still be cat 2 and have lost all our top youth to cat 1 teams for 50p each.understand history before using fingers on keyboard.

18 minutes ago, Ramslaar said:

What a joker.yes it was set up before mel but if it wasnt for mel we would still be cat 2 and have lost all our top youth to cat 1 teams for 50p each.understand history before using fingers on keyboard.

Yea MM is a miracle worker, he's even managed  to double the value of the ground since he's been here ?

16 hours ago, Rams-in-Spain said:

...and the finances are in a much worse state! 

Can you quantify this statement?

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I would consider a few thousand hours travelling to games home and away in all weathers over a lifetime, despite some awful football on show on occasion a considerable investment. A supporters time is always a considerable investment. There is also monetary investment unless match tickets, shirts, programmes, coach travel, beer, food have always been free and no-one told me.

Sometimes a supporters level of investment is matched by the club's  hierachy , sometimes it isn't - depends who's running the ship .  Derby fan's tend to turn up at a pretty steady rate anyway, so I consider our investment equal to any and better than most .

That's not really investment though is it? It's just spending your spare time and money. I imagine there are a lot of other things where you do that but dont class it as investment. 

14 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

100% this.

It had been neglected for many years before it started being taken seriously in the Nigel Clough days. To be fair to Mel, he invested and backed the academy heavily but there was a good foundation there. Isn't also the case that none of the youth team brought in under Mac 1 actually made it as first teamers?

Mac had to get rid of all the youth team players as MM asked him to put a focus on bringing them through. That led to him ripping the academy up saying they aren’t good enough and starting again. We had an okay academy before MM now we have the one of the best in the country

Under Mel, the academy and its facilities have improved no end. We've gone from Cat 2 to Cat 1, invested heavily in securing young, talented players. We've won the U18's league and secured European football in the process. Our U23's are challenging this season. This is not a fluke or the result of some strange stellar alignment. This is the product of significant investment, top quality facilities and some of the best youth coaches around. This is the result of a considered strategy. Mel's plan.

We've already seen Bogle and Lowe progress to the first team. This season alone we have 4 new kids getting game time with a clutch of other lads looking equally likely to make the step up over the next year or two. Archie Brown, Festy Ebosele, Jack Stretton, Tyree Wilson, Jordan Brown and Trialist all spring to mind as serious prospects. Doubtless there are others I've overlooked. 

If you need to bitch about Mel, as is your prerogative, then the academy is the last place to go scratching round for ammo. This is the one area where far from mistakes being made, Mel has worked wonders and trying to pretend otherwise just makes folk look petty, disingenuous and a tad desperate. 

33 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

Mac had to get rid of all the youth team players as MM asked him to put a focus on bringing them through. That led to him ripping the academy up saying they aren’t good enough and starting again. We had an okay academy before MM now we have the one of the best in the country

No he didn't. When Mac came in the brought in new U21/U23 players (Calero, Koblenz, Shaq McDonald, Santos, SSewankambo, Bunjaku) as he felt the overall quality at that level wasn't good enough. All other age groups continued as they were.

12 hours ago, Rams-in-Spain said:

I hope the people of Spain don't think everyone from Derby are serial moaners! What's Mel supposed to do?,ask everyone in Derby before making a decision.  There's never dull moment supporting this club, and if we are docked points we'll all just continue to support Derby county which ever division we are in. Leeds Southampton Leicester Man city etc have all risen from division 1 in recent years. What will be will be, BUT we will come back from it, but it will be a lot easier without so called supporters dragging us down with "I'm not happy with this and that" and "I told you so". You could always support Deportivo!...ironically currently 17th in la Liga 2 and in all sorts of trouble!

Why do football fans so often confuse investment with consumption?

Choosing to spend one’s time and money on a leisure pursuit is simply an act of consumerism - even if it turns out to be not that enjoyable.

If I choose to spend £100 on going to the opera I’m hardly investing in it am I?

if I choose to spend 10 hours a week litter picking in my local town then I’m investing in my community. I don’t regard following a football team is anything like the same thing.

Like all of us, I’ve ‘wasted’ many an afternoon supporting the Rams, but I’ve only ever done it for my own edification. 

Archived