EFL charge Derby over ffp

alexxxxx

1 hour ago, Donny Ram said:

Arguing the EFL representative acted ultra vires in this instance is a nonsense Ramnut. This must have been referred to the EFLs financial approval team and not just the cleaner!

Can you seriously see Mel just ringing anyone and saying, “oh, that’s alright then”.

Totally agree that it could be a face saving process but Derby have taken fair and reasonable steps to ensure compliance with EFL rules and more importantly financial accounting process that have been audited and signed off. The EFL cannot argue that an employee, if it was someone in their financial or audit team, acted beyond their powers nor can they retrospectively change their rules and apply sanction — but I bet they try.... this is going to be a long drawn out process that won’t be resolved this season me thinks.

In the meantime, let’s all get behind the team, management and owner... COYR

Didn’t the club statement mention we dealt with the EFL Executive rather than some random employee?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having gone down this route surely the EFL has no option but to look at practices of other clubs. Leeds, despite their fans protestations, do not own Elland Road, it is owned by a company owned by their owner just as we have, likewise Forest rent from the Council. Why wasn't the Leeds deal investigated when the owner purchased the ground? Probably because it didnt actually put money into the accounts as a lump sum but it was clearly done that way for finance gain.

Surely this should be investigated, how much do clubs like this pay to lease/rent, is it comparable with what other clubs have to pay for the mortgage/maintenance etc on their own stadiums.

It may well be that Forest pay several million a year to rent the ground, and if so fair enough, I do always seem to recall it was something stupid like £1 but that could just be chinese whispers, but if it is just a nominal amount this has to be addressed too.

1 minute ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Thinking about it from another angle...

This would be like driving at 38mph in a 40mph zone before Christmas and then receiving a speeding fine this morning because the speed limit for that area was reduced to 30mph yesterday. 

The EFL are p##sing in the wind with this one ??‍♂️??

Spot on, or at least it should have always been 30 but was incorrectly signed and not corrected until after the supposed offence.

14 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

DCFC Statement suggests, unless i have read wrong, that a 'modest' adjustment was made at the request of the EFL. So I am assuming, maybe incorrectly that Mel paid slightly less than the valuation.

No difference in terms of sale price, but a “modest” reduction for P&S purposes. 

17 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

I don’t see how we do not get a written public apology from the EFL once this has all been dealt with, I would expect Mel to insist on it. 

Posted this before, but I think someone high up in the EFL should be hounded down to do an interview immediately to respond to the points raised by Mel and explain why, without hiding behind independent bodies, that they feel its appropriate to pursue action when its their mistake, or at least explain why they haven't made a mistake and essentially accuse Mel of lying.

If Radio Derby aren't making phone calls to try and get an interview that is very poor on their part IMO.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

No difference in terms of sale price, but a “modest” reduction for P&S purposes. 

Ok. Yeah makes sense.

Whatever it is it demonstrates that Derby have been very diligent in their procedures, unlike the EFL.

2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Posted this before, but I think someone high up in the EFL should be hounded down to do an interview immediately to respond to the points raised by Mel and explain why, without hiding behind independent bodies, that they feel its appropriate to pursue action when its their mistake, or at least explain why they haven't made a mistake and essentially accuse Mel of lying.

If Radio Derby aren't making phone calls to try and get an interview that is very poor on their part IMO.

Maybe Derby Telegraph can start doing some proper journalism rather than just click bait or stories about missing cheese on cheesy chips

3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Wonder who is going to be on the panel?

"An independent panel comprised of Steve Gibson, Neil Warnock, 2 randomly selected posters from LTLF forum and the ghost of Don Revie"

I did have a quick look last night on LTLF, and despite their wish for us to receive a punishment, and feeling that what we have done may be a bit dodgy the consensus seemed to be that its the EFL in the wrong here.

I get fans of other clubs perhaps wanting us to be punished, but this could be landmark and if we lose a lot of those clubs like Forest, Leeds etc could be nervously awaiting a charge from the EFL.

1 minute ago, philmycocu said:

Maybe Derby Telegraph can start doing some proper journalism rather than just click bait or stories about missing cheese on cheesy chips

Duck me i saw that headline.

Or 'I got a parking fine, I appealed it and they upheld my appeal but i am so upset by it i am running to the press in hope i might somehow be able to get some comp out of it'.

2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Radio Derby did say last night they'd been trying to get the EFL to talk to them.

If Derby do face a sanction, I imagine Derby will make the case had they been told the current EFL interpretation they would have been able to comply (made sure Vydra was flogged in that financial year and others as needed etc) and as a result of the EFL's actions they've been damaged and the EFL must make reparations.

Just now, RadioactiveWaste said:

Radio Derby did say last night they'd been trying to get the EFL to talk to them.

If Derby do face a sanction, I imagine Derby will make the case had they been told the current EFL interpretation they would have been able to comply (made sure Vydra was flogged in that financial year and others as needed etc) and as a result of the EFL's actions they've been damaged and the EFL must make reparations.

Fair enough. No one from the EFL will get interviewed as they will be aware that any decent interviewer will rip them apart. Love him or Loath him, Piers Morgan would be ideal to interview them.

48 minutes ago, jono said:

These things are never simple but what if scandal results in us winning in court and as we have been hindered from signing players because of the EFL failed action, you’d think there would be grounds for a counter claim. Vexatious legal action and consequent damage.? 

anyway. This won’t be quick so let’s get on a play footy 

Weren't Sheff Utd awarded some loot after being relegated from the Prem?, Tevez scored for West Ham keeping them up when he shouldn't have played...this took an age to sort out if memory serves me right.

3 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I did have a quick look last night on LTLF, and despite their wish for us to receive a punishment, and feeling that what we have done may be a bit dodgy the consensus seemed to be that its the EFL in the wrong here.

I get fans of other clubs perhaps wanting us to be punished, but this could be landmark and if we lose a lot of those clubs like Forest, Leeds etc could be nervously awaiting a charge from the EFL.

I think quit a few fans of other clubs think we've been being far to clever for far too long and are due a comeuppance for it, but by the same token I think there is a widespread belief that the EFL are incompetent.

4 minutes ago, I Bought the Tee Shirt said:

Weren't Sheff Utd awarded some loot after being relegated from the Prem?, Tevez scored for West Ham keeping them up when he shouldn't have played...this took an age to sort out if memory serves me right.

It was intentionally dragged on by the authorities until the point where they said "oh it's too late now to have West Ham relegated in Sheff utds place" then some compensation was made later. It was an awful decision and an awful process. Made me very cynical about the sport's governance.

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

The very clear signs/parking spaces are that the EFL dont want clubs to get into debt.. but they will allow £40m over a three year period. Derby think they have found a loophole no one else has seen... 

Analogy stands up for me.. 

"The EFL don't want clubs to get into debt.. apart from the £40 million loss they are allowed every year - that bit of debt is totally fine". That is the exact opposite of what you've just claimed. The assumed intentions of the EFL are not signs of anything - they certainly dont give us any indication of what is and isnt allowed. 

Derby havent used any loopholes - everything they have done is within the rules and their is nothing in them to prohibit anything we have done. 

The analogy does not hold up at all. You need to add a corrupt policeman who thinks he can make up laws as he goes along.

i went in to my local shop earlier, bought a bag of crisps and a red bull. £2 it cost me I paid and left, I now have a call of the police saying i've been shoplifting as the shop owner charged me wrong... Should have noticed the big EFL logo on the shop to be fair....

I reckon the EFL is being run by a copper we spoke to in Liverpool in the 80's.

We got to Liverpool lateish after stopping for a pint or 2 on the way to a match at Goodison and we asked plod where we could park. He told us to park against the wall at the bottom of the street and said it would be fine there. We parked up and as we walked up the street, the same copper walked past and asked if we'd parked up ok. We said yes and went to the match, only to come back after to find a parking ticket! We looked at the time on the ticket and came to the conclussion that the tit head had walked past us and and then put the ticket on the car. Bamford.

Archived