EFL charge Derby over ffp

alexxxxx

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Well I don’t know but even Swiss Ramble says we are the only ones who do it. Did we agree it in advance? I get the feeling we want to play by our rules, not their rules.

I agree it's weird we are seemingly the only ones who approach it that way, but I'm fairly sure you're allowed to value a players registration on an annual basis, rather than linear impairment.

The only stipulation is that it must be a fair valuation, which definitely is open to interpretation.

Offering extensions for instance, to push residual value into a different accounting period should be a no no, if a players worth nothing at the end of June he's worth nothing at the beginning of July.

I hope we've not done that.

20 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Much as I still don’t like the fact that we’ve ended up in the situation where such “dodgy” loopholes have to be exploited, I don’t think the EFL have a leg to stand on if that statement is all there is to it. From a moral standpoint, you can question our actions.

There's nothing 'dodgy' about what we've done at all. Mel's played a blinder and the it's the EFL whose conduct should be called into question.  Likewise your inference that our accounting processes are somehow, 'immoral'. Care to justify that statement?

The club has been completely transparent in terms of its accounting processes, all of which appear to have been signed off by the EFL. Mel also offered to open his books to Gibson who declined and instead ran to the EFL to try and coerce them into applying some form of retrospective sanctions on a club that did nothing wrong other than deny his shambolic outfit a play-off slot. If anyone has acted poorly, it's Gibson and the EFL.

Well what a mess - us for sailing so close to the wind and the EFL for going back on themselves 

legally we would win in a court probably

as per the disciplinary we could lose as its supposedly independent but what are it’s parameters on decision making     

As for the EFL - what a mess of an organisation 

25 minutes ago, RamNut said:

The fundamental issue is surely that we keep looking for loopholes and clever strategies instead of tackling the fundamental issue of spiralling costs and an escalating wage bill. FFP was meant to get clubs to change their behaviour.

the charge could be that we are consistently not acting in good faith.

I don't buy the we keep looking for loopholes statement. The club has conformed to the rules that have been set out before them, been transparent with the approach. They have presented what they are doing to the governing body and had their actions sanctioned....... But now they've made a 'mistake' and now they've changed their mind......

PFFFFFFFTTTTT! Utter incompetence on behalf of the EFL.

Haven't got a leg to stand on. To admit in writing they've made a mistake is slitting their own throat.

26 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Acting in good faith could mean absolutely anything. We haven't broken any rules and the EFL have signed off all of our accounts. The club have been very transparent when submitting their accounts. And we are tackling our spiralling costs - we are reducing our wage bill and squad size - it doesn't happen overnight unless you just want to pay everyone's contracts off in one big expense.

Except we can’t because of P&S rules ?‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Well what a mess - us for sailing so close to the wind and the EFL for going back on themselves 

legally we would win in a court probably

as per the disciplinary we could lose as its supposedly independent but what are it’s parameters on decision making     

As for the EFL - what a mess of an organisation 

For it to be truly independent then surely, if the EFL have actually appointed a panel, they should have kicked things off with "we're investigating Derby" rather than we're charging them?

Was half expecting, half hoping for a statement such as this....and Mel has delivered a real shot across the bough with the sort of voracity only seen in business when you know you are right. 

I get the impression this is a move to mitigate the EFLs losses in the case brought by Gibson, showing a willingness to try to resolve their ‘error’. Could even be backhanded talks involving Pearce. 

It could all be a trap set by Mel to invent a new revenue stream. I actually love this, and think it shows how savvy and committed our owner is. 

9 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

There's nothing 'dodgy' about what we've done at all. Mel's played a blinder and the it's the EFL whose conduct should be called into question.  Likewise your inference that our accounting processes are somehow, 'immoral'. Care to justify that statement?

The club has been completely transparent in terms of its accounting processes, all of which appear to have been signed off by the EFL. Mel also offered to open his books to Gibson who declined and instead ran to the EFL to try and coerce them into applying some form of retrospective sanctions on a club that did nothing wrong other than deny his shambolic outfit a play-off slot. If anyone has acted poorly, it's Gibson and the EFL.

I don’t mean dodgy as in against the rules, because quite clearly the loophole exists or we wouldn’t have exploited it. Nothing dodgy in a legal sense about doing so. The point for me is that we were able to do something that we weren’t intended to be able to do when the rules were set up. I guess it’s not in the “spirit of the rules” as I’ve seen a few others band about. Now As I’ve said before I fundamentally disagree with the existence of FFP and the “spirit of its rules”. I think it’s to the detriment of the game, so frankly in this case I don’t really care if we’ve been able to circumvent the rules because I don’t think they should be there in the first place. But it just doesn’t sit right with me morally In the long term if we keep doing things that were not intended to be able to do, but are able to do because of a loophole in the rules. Just like I was annoyed with Watford and all their loans when that happened but it wasn’t strictly against the rules. It’s just my moral view though, I appreciate others won’t give a flying duck and genuinely fair play to them.

As for the rest of your post about the EFL etc I agree 100%, and that’s what I was alluding to at the end of my previous post. They’re a shambles who aren’t fit for purpose. Can’t even write a set of rules correctly. They should be torn down from the top for me.

57 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I suspect that Derby have dealt with individual officers whose advice is what would legally be termed “non-binding negotiations”.

we are still legally responsible for the submission.

no doubt the legal action by Boro towards the EFL was the game changer and has caused a higher level review.

This is going to run and run.

I think you are right, we could still get done, despite the injustice, but they will end up looking like cocks. They will have to admit organisational incompetence or find one of their staff to throw under the bus.

Mel has fired a shot back signaling we won't go down without a fight, the timing of the statement just after five on a Friday night makes it hard for them to respond straight away.

Some senarios spring to mind-

They only charged us to make Gibson shut up, we should be fine in this case.

They have it in for us, are upset about the Rooney thing they can't do anything about. In this case they will probably stick it on us, but it will cost them. Mel has signaled he's not going quietly. All sorts of awkward questions will be raised for them to deal with.

My prediction is that some lawyers will make some money.

Whatever the result Derby till I die.

Could there be further issues to come with regards to Rooney?

by declaring Rooney as a player coach are Derby intending to get half of his wages excluded from ffp calcs and exploit another loophole? 
Will rooney’s actual role - and the possible ffp implications - yet also come under future scrutiny .

Has he actually done his badges? 

If this is as the DCFC statement states then it is beyond belief that the EFL could be so stupid. It would lead to people losing their precious cushy jobs and the EFL totally losing authority.

If they 'made a mistake' then why on earth take the action that exposes that and puts them in the firing line for significant damages?

They are either:

1. Stupid

2. Smoked too much weed

3. Arrogant

4. Have more info than they are letting on and Mel is 'doing a Trump'

5. Gibson has some dodgy video of EFL execs doing wild stuff in the Boro boardroom

Anything but 4 and Mel should take them off at the knees and drag them through court for every penny.

The EFL surely has to respond to the statement to retain any credibility. 

The likes of talksport should be pushing them for an interview to answer the points raised,  in fact radio Derby should be doing the same and rams tv, comeon @OwenB87 lets have an interview with someone from the EFL, think we need to hear first hand why their apparent incompetence can lead to this.

4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Could there be further issues to come with regards to Rooney?

by declaring Rooney as a player coach are Derby intending to get half of his wages excluded from ffp calcs and exploit another loophole? 
Will rooney’s actual role - and the possible ffp implications - yet also come under future scrutiny .

Has he actually done his badges? 

No.

Expressly forbidden in the the championship, allowable in the lower two leagues to some extent.

Archived