EFL charge Derby over ffp

alexxxxx

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

Depends what the guidance states. 
Maybe Derby have gone off piste and have argued that our method is just as valid. But they’ve decided that we should be doing the accounts the same way as everyone else.

So change the requirements going forward (with required agreement of clubs). EFL can’t change their mind about accounts they’ve already passed as ok.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, GenBr said:

The posters on the Wednesday forums made a good point regarding who pays if we win a case against the EFL regarding who would actually pay out if we successfully sued them. Does the EFl actually have any money. I know they are registered as a company with accounts on companies house, but do they actually have any cash reserves or do they just get it from the other member clubbs?

Sky sponsors the EFL they have plenty of money, odd how Sky Sports News have not mentioned that that the EFL made mistakes??? Not 

4 minutes ago, Saffy van der Ram said:

So change the requirements going forward (with required agreement of clubs). EFL can’t change their mind about accounts they’ve already passed as ok.

Probably that will be the outcome on that. But it gets Derby towing the line.

I’m sure everyone has their own opinions on how well, or not so well our club is run.

But I’m sure we can agree on one thing - thank duck we’re not run as poorly as the EFL. An absolute embarrassment of an organisation.

Very strong statement from the club there. Much as I still don’t like the fact that we’ve ended up in the situation where such “dodgy” loopholes have to be exploited, I don’t think the EFL have a leg to stand on if that statement is all there is to it. From a moral standpoint, you can question our actions - though we’re hardly the first club to exploit a loophole in the rules. But from a legal standpoint, the EFL have agreed to everything we’ve done. Now they probably quite rightly want to change the rules now, but they can’t issue retrospective punishment for something they’ve already signed off. Quite right that we’d Pursue a counter claim against the EFL because they can’t just go around covering their own incompetencies in setting regulations by punishing teams for actions they’ve already cleared. 

Theres still a part of me that thinks there’s more to the story otherwise the EFL wouldn’t have charged us in the first place, because on paper it looks like legal suicide on their part. Maybe something in this “Amorisation” thingy. But if that genuinely is everything, then I can’t see anything but us winning a legal battle and them having to pay us for damages to our investment deal, transfer plans etc etc. I hope that if we do win that the EFL are thoroughly investigated and brought down as not being fit for purpose. It’s been clear for a long time with the TV rights deal and so on that they’re not an organisation to be trusted with something as significant as the football league.

11 minutes ago, Saffy van der Ram said:

Exactly - no club in the EFL wants to be submitting accounts and trying to second guess what the EFL governors are going to decide they did wrong 18 months later

12 minutes ago, Saffy van der Ram said:

Unless they have new evidence that the figures were manipulated or hidden to hide certain things surely....

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

Maybe you could have it so that any relegated team is immediately on the same ffp restrictions as everyone else. They have a set amount of money in the parachute pot which can only be used for player wages and not transfers. If their wages exceed the amount in the pot the excess is taken into account for ffp. If they breach the ffp limit they get fined or points deductions like all the other teams.

That's the kind of thing I was getting towards

10 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Probably that will be the outcome on that. But it gets Derby towing the line.

I've always thought a change in the accounting regs was behind the change in the way Derby treat amortisation of intangible assets?

If we're legally entitled to treat players registrations in that way, how can the EFL complain?

The fundamental issue is surely that we keep looking for loopholes and clever strategies instead of tackling the fundamental issue of spiralling costs and an escalating wage bill. FFP was meant to get clubs to change their behaviour.

the charge could be that we are consistently not acting in good faith.

Each Championship Club shall, at all times and in all matters within the scope of these Rules, behave with the utmost good faith both towards The League and the other Championship Clubs (provided always that only The League shall have the right to bring any action whatsoever for any alleged breach of this requirement). 

8 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Unless they have new evidence that the figures were manipulated or hidden to hide certain things surely....

But the amortisation is in audited accounts that independent auditors & the EFL have previously signed off.

10 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I've always thought a change in the accounting regs was behind the change in the way Derby treat amortisation of intangible assets?

If we're legally entitled to treat players registrations in that way, how can the EFL complain?

Well I don’t know but even Swiss Ramble says we are the only ones who do it. Did we agree it in advance? I get the feeling we want to play by our rules, not their rules.

Each Club shall, at all times and in all matters within the scope of these Rules, behave with the utmost good faith both towards The League and the other Clubs (provided always that only The League shall have the right to bring any action whatsoever for any alleged breach of this requirement).  Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, Clubs shall not manage their affairs or submit information which is intended to seek to or take any unfair advantage in relation to the assessment of fulfilment (or non-fulfilment) of the requirements of the Rules.

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

The fundamental issue is surely that we keep looking for loopholes and clever strategies instead of tackling the fundamental issue of spiralling costs and an escalating wage bill. FFP was meant to get clubs to change their behaviour.

How can we not have acted in good faith if we have put these proposals to the EFL and they said all ok go ahead. 
If they hadn’t we would not of done. 
By going to the EFL first I would argue that is actually showing good faith not the opposite 

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Acting in good faith could mean absolutely anything. We haven't broken any rules and the EFL have signed off all of our accounts. The club have been very transparent when submitting their accounts. And we are tackling our spiralling costs - we are reducing our wage bill and squad size - it doesn't happen overnight unless you just want to pay everyone's contracts off in one big expense.

The EFL can go and duck themselves. They signed off on everything, now they're coming back for second dibs? They'll lose. We'll win.

Anyone criticising Mel is an ungrateful, miserable bugger and should give their head a wobble..

We are Derby. Get behind the team, the club, and whatever happens, stick together.

That is all.

Archived