EFL charge Derby over ffp

alexxxxx

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2020/01/club-statement-17th-january-2020

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

It’s hard to believe that we got into this mess by buying the very average players that we did, but the rules allow very little margin for error.

a few simple operating rules would have helped.

• keep wages and running costs steady and within a prescribed limit.
  • keep annual transfer spending within prescribed limits of @£6m max per annum.
  • never pay more than £3-4m for a player
  •  don’t buy a player if you can’t imagine fully recouping the transfer fee after 2-3 years
  • do recoup the fees wherever possible. 
  • take immediate remedial action if costs exceed budget.

we have allowed wages and running costs to escalate, and exceed budget.

we have overspent on transfers and individual players

we have signed players with no resale value 

we have failed to take corrective action except to pull two tricks - stadium sale being one of them.

The powers that be should change the rules to prevent stadium sales being a legitimate option under ffp, as it is a fundamentally bad move.

Seems like both strategies are the cause of the bringing of charges.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

None we expected amortisation to be brought into the conversation ?

I mean it's something we've done for years. So unless we've fiddled it I don't see how they can say the approach is wrong. 

At a glance it seems that the ffp rules are not fit for purpose. 

9 minutes ago, GenBr said:

The posters on the Wednesday forums made a good point regarding who pays if we win a case against the EFL regarding who would actually pay out if we successfully sued them. Does the EFl actually have any money. I know they are registered as a company with accounts on companies house, but do they actually have any cash reserves or do they just get it from the other member clubbs?

I'd say so! They have just paid their former CEO £500,000 severance pay on top of his £495,000 salary.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51025894

I suspect that Derby have dealt with individual officers whose advice is what would legally be termed “non-binding negotiations”.

we are still legally responsible for the submission.

no doubt the legal action by Boro towards the EFL was the game changer and has caused a higher level review.

This is going to run and run.

13 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

I mean it's something we've done for years. So unless we've fiddled it I don't see how they can say the approach is wrong. 

At a glance it seems that the ffp rules are not fit for purpose. 

Depends what the guidance states. 
Maybe Derby have gone off piste and have argued that our method is just as valid. But they’ve decided that we should be doing the accounts the same way as everyone else.

Archived