Next Seasons Excuse

Sheikh n Bake

Next Seasons Excuse - "We need to allow players to settle in and gel together."

We're 27 league games into the season and 16 days into the January transfer window.

4 weeks of the summer transfer window was deemed by most fans to be too short to identify any weaknesses in the squad and to bring in any suitable replacements; although I don't necessarily agree on that. The noises coming out of Pride Park seem to suggest that we won't be making too many changes in January, potentially bringing in one or two signings. It seems we are playing the waiting game and relying on other clubs to do business first. 

This summer could see quite a few changes to the squad with the following contracts expiring:

image.png.d8e8f4819afa95b903593b6a1ab948f9.png

I was very much hoping that January would see us sign a few players (on a perm) to get bedded in for next season to hit the ground running. When in reality, it looks like we will be signing a loan or 2 to fill the gaps.

Which then leaves us in a situation in the summer where we need a goalkeeper, 2 first choice centre backs and another striker as a minimum... Which gives the excuse that they will need time to settle. How long are people willing to give Cocu? As I think 'success' will take much longer than some anticipate at this rate.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

We're 27 league games into the season and 16 days into the January transfer window.

4 weeks of the summer transfer window was deemed by most fans to be too short to identify any weaknesses in the squad and to bring in any suitable replacements; although I don't necessarily agree on that. The noises coming out of Pride Park seem to suggest that we won't be making too many changes in January, potentially bringing in one or two signings. It seems we are playing the waiting game and relying on other clubs to do business first. 

This summer could see quite a few changes to the squad with the following contracts expiring:

I was very much hoping that January would see us sign a few players (on a perm) to get bedded in for next season to hit the ground running. When in reality, it looks like we will be signing a loan or 2 to fill the gaps.

Which then leaves us in a situation in the summer where we need a goalkeeper, 2 first choice centre backs and another striker as a minimum... Which gives the excuse that they will need time to settle. How long are people willing to give Cocu? As I think 'success' will take much longer than some anticipate at this rate.

Why worry about things you have no control over? After 50 years of going to games supporting Derby, I've learnt not to expect anything and just go along for the ride.

29 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

I thought Davies' and Huddlestone's contract have already been extended, with Bennett's in the pipeline. Hamer, Forsyth, and Martin being the only other squad players this season we're set to lose.

Curtis Davies already signed an extension. Bennett was supposedly close to signing one too.

It's much harder to sign players in January. Teams don't want to let players go. The club probably don't want to overpay and so will wait until the summer. 

How long are people willing to give Cocu? Well that's not a question I can really answer. It depends what happens. If we finish around mid table as we're projected to on form, you'd suggest at minimum until around November/December time after he's had another window. 

I don't agree with your ''success will take much longer than some anticipate'' statement, it's been proven time and time again then small tactical changes or the addition of one or two quality players can make a vast and dramatic difference to a team. 

Finally, we are starting to do well this season so you're going to the next one to peddle negativity? ?

the OP is right that the rebuild of the squad is mounting up into a big task. The financial situation is a bit of an unknown but I suspect that freebies, loans  and cheapos is the market we are in. 

Obviously this is 95% guess work, but I don't think we're in a position to sign anyone until the investment goes through or we sell someone for a large fee. So it's not a case of us waiting for other clubs, but simply not having the resources to pay fees or add to the wage bill. If I'm right, and if the investment doesn't come through, the only players we are likely to sign are young loanees who their parent clubs want developed and are willing to cover their wages whilst we do it.

12 minutes ago, RamNut said:

the OP is right that the rebuild of the squad is mounting up into a big task. The financial situation is a bit of an unknown but I suspect that freebies, loans  and cheapos is the market we are in. 

Is it that bad though? As contracts currently stand...

GK - Roos, Carson, Mitchell
RB - Bogle, Wisdom
LB - Malone, Lowe
CB - Davies
DM - Bielik, Bird, Evans
CM - Rooney, Shinnie, Holmes, Knight, Sibley
W - Lawrence, Jozefzoon, Whittaker
CF - Marriott, Waghorn

Without doubt, we'll be looking for 2 CBs.
With Bielik's injury and Evans' injury history, we'll be looking for an extra body in the DM area. With Bird's progress and the money splashed on Bielik, it would only be cheap short-term cover... I fully expect to see Huddlestone staying on for another season as backup.
Bennett's supposed to be in contract discussions, and it appears we want to offload Jozefzoon. Bennett, Waghorn and Whittaker are comfortable playing on the wing and up front, so I don't think we'll be too fussy over whether we sign a CF or RW, but we'll be after 1 probably 2 players.
The only other position is a possible upgrade on Roos.

GK, 2CB, 2W/CF - 4 or 5 signings over the next two windows.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Is it that bad though? As contracts currently stand...

GK - Roos, Carson, Mitchell
RB - Bogle, Wisdom
LB - Malone, Lowe
CB - Davies
DM - Bielik, Bird, Evans
CM - Rooney, Shinnie, Holmes, Knight, Sibley
W - Lawrence, Jozefzoon, Whittaker
CF - Marriott, Waghorn

Without doubt, we'll be looking for 2 CBs.

GK, 2CB, 2W/CF - 4 or 5 signings over the next two windows.

Is Carson also out of contract? Mitchell doesn’t seem to be regarded as first team.
We need to try and get some money back on Malone to reduce our ffp loss. Same with jozefzoon. 
not sure why we would keep Davies and yet release fozzy?, I’d probably do the opposite.

curtis has been great but we need to sort those two centre backs ASAP.

it would be good to see sibley and knight in midfield .

I’m not sure what cocu thinks of waghorn and Marriott. Lawrence is probably ripe for a move before long. Similarly should we sell waggy to recover some of the fee we paid whilst there is still a chance?

that would leave.....

GK - Roos, NEW
RB - Bogle, EBOSELE
LB -Lowe, Fozzy, BUCHANAN 
CB - NEW (ARSLANAGIC); NEW (PERIC); Wisdom, evans
DM - (Bielik), Bird, shinnie, Rooney, J BROWN
CM - Holmes, Knight, Sibley, BABOS, NEW
W - NEW, NEW, MITCHELL-LAWSON, A BROWN
CF - Marriott, Whittaker, NEW

I’m thinking 7. I don’t think we’ll get that many though over two windows.

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Is Carson also out of contract? Mitchell doesn’t seem to be regarded as first team.
We need to try and get some money back on Malone to reduce our ffp loss. Same with jozefzoon. 
not sure why we would keep Davies and yet release fozzy?, I’d probably do the opposite.

curtis has been great but we need to sort those two centre backs ASAP.

it would be good to see sibley and knight in midfield .

I’m not sure what cocu thinks of waghorn and Marriott. Lawrence is probably ripe for a move before long. Similarly should we sell waggy to recover some of the fee we paid whilst there is still a chance?

that would leave.....

GK - Roos, NEW
RB - Bogle, EBOSELE
LB -Lowe, Fozzy, BUCHANAN 
CB - NEW (ARSLANAGIC); NEW (PERIC); Wisdom, evans
DM - (Bielik), Bird, shinnie, Rooney, J BROWN
CM - Holmes, Knight, Sibley, BABOS, NEW
W - NEW, NEW, MITCHELL-LAWSON, A BROWN
CF - Marriott, Whittaker, NEW

I’m thinking 7. I don’t think we’ll get that many though over two windows.

Expecting Davies to leave despite his extention?
For some reason, I doubt Cocu wants to offload his two most used players this season.
I also have doubts over Ebosele, JBrown, Babos JML and Archie being ready for the first team - possibly Archie in a similar capacity as Whittaker this season

You know OP’s right though, it happens every season-people make excuses for the poor performances, we seem to be in transition every year, seems to be a cop out and easy excuse for the players more than anything. The transition was close to being complete in 2014 after many years scrapping in the championship under clough and after reckless spending we’ve gone backwards which mean we will be in transition for the rest of eternity ?

13 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

You know OP’s right though, it happens every season-people make excuses for the poor performances, we seem to be in transition every year, seems to be a cop out and easy excuse for the players more than anything. The transition was close to being complete in 2014 after many years scrapping in the championship under clough and after reckless spending we’ve gone backwards which mean we will be in transition for the rest of eternity ?

Before this season, what poor performances? We've been in the play-offs more often than not for the past 7 years. Make it sound like we're perennial strugglers. 

We might not be able to buy any new players given the latest news, but i'm confident the youth teams can at the very least keep us in this league.

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I thought Davies' and Huddlestone's contract have already been extended, with Bennett's in the pipeline. Hamer, Forsyth, and Martin being the only other squad players this season we're set to lose.

I think I read on the DT somewhere that Forsyth had a similar clause to Huddlestone in his contract regarding games played, so it depends how much he plays rest of the season if he triggers another extension. 

19 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Before this season, what poor performances? We've been in the play-offs more often than not for the past 7 years. Make it sound like we're perennial strugglers. 

Not necessarily referring to seasons as a whole (although we’ve declined massively since 2014 and we’ve limped into the play offs rather than comfortably getting in it like we did then), seems whenever we as a team don’t play well or individual players have long term poor performances, people use the excuse that this is a transition season anyway, I saw it time after time last season whenever we lost under Lampard that the results didnt matter because it’s a transition season and the ‘next’ season was the season to judge us. Football never materialises like that. 

Archived