Scottish FA set to ban heading the ball for under 12s

TramRam

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51129653

"There remains no firm evidence linking heading the ball to the disease but Dr MacLean thinks a restriction of head contact is common sense"

Children today are more and more cloaked in cotton wool, Schools are banning contact sports, Schools are banning competative competitions where if a Child loses, Then the Child loses self esteem, What are we teaching the Chilldren of today?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Literally nothing to do with Derby so in the wrong section, but still. It's no real surprise this has come in, so if it's widely adopted, expect to see better technical football but worse set piece defending, and teams managed by Pulis winning the league with 73 goals from corners.

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

Literally nothing to do with Derby so in the wrong section, but still. It's no real surprise this has come in, so if it's widely adopted, expect to see better technical football but worse set piece defending, and teams managed by Pulis winning the league with 73 goals from corners.

Tbf they can only control what U12s do in games and team training. Nothing stopping them practising heading in their own time, which at that age most footballers who're going to amount to anything spend almost all their time doing.

Pretty sure starting at 13 years old gives them enough time to learn the fundamentals of heading a set piece clear. You could still do basics of organisation in those situations without heading. Besides, I remember watching U12 teams when I was like 13 at a competition that included some club academies and I don't think any of what I saw could be construed as organised. The ball almost always bounced ? 

I don't think this is going to really affect anything, other than potentially the long term health of kids who go into professional football.

9 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Tbf they can only control what U12s do in games and team training. Nothing stopping them practising heading in their own time, which at that age most footballers who're going to amount to anything spend almost all their time doing.

Pretty sure starting at 13 years old gives them enough time to learn the fundamentals of heading a set piece clear. You could still do basics of organisation in those situations without heading. Besides, I remember watching U12 teams when I was like 13 at a competition that included some club academies and I don't think any of what I saw could be construed as organised. The ball almost always bounced ? 

I don't think this is going to really affect anything, other than potentially the long term health of kids who go into professional football.

Went through this in the other thread, but the research isn't based on current balls (lighter and more padded) and doesn't differentiate between collisions with elbows or whatever either. Similarly, any damage is much more likely to have occurred in training than in games. You're more likely to head the ball in one training drill more than you could in half a season of football matches. It also doesn't mention for even the older generation that have been more affected, they have a much lower risk of other diseases or ailments - such as heart disease. Swings and roundabouts, I guess on that one. Finally... never gonna stop kids being kids, there's no evidence this is because of what they did under supervision of clubs and trainers and due to anything else, including football, they may have done elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Went through this in the other thread, but the research isn't based on current balls (lighter and more padded) and doesn't differentiate between collisions with elbows or whatever either. Similarly, any damage is much more likely to have occurred in training than in games. You're more likely to head the ball in one training drill more than you could in half a season of football matches. It also doesn't mention for even the older generation that have been more affected, they have a much lower risk of other diseases or ailments - such as heart disease. Swings and roundabouts, I guess on that one. Finally... never gonna stop kids being kids, there's no evidence this is because of what they did under supervision of clubs and trainers and due to anything else, including football, they may have done elsewhere.

The italics for 'potentially' was to highlight my skepticism  ? 

As an aside; reading the article it says they're being banned from heading in training. So does that mean they'll be allowed to head it as normal in games?

2 hours ago, Srg said:

Appologies, In my excitement of posting my 1st talking point I got all nervous, My heart rate was pounding, I shall endevour to do my best if in future there's an interesting story to tell ?

9 hours ago, Sexydadbod said:

I don’t really understand this, the article states that it will be banned in training, so during the matches, they will continue to head the ball then as usual?

I think so. The point is that any player heads the ball in training 10x/100x more often than they would during a game. And that that repetition is potentially dangerous; not the act of heading on its own. 

Archived