Sign in to follow this  
oldtimeram

Back in the 1960s and 70s?

Is it a reporting issue? That is, players would "retire early through injury" rather than having a full ACL diagnosis. I think it's only fairly recently that it's been so easy to repair.

Even so, I would agree that would be less frequent.

There is a story in Roy macs book about the time when he was playing games with a painful groin injury.

it got to the point in one game where he went down and was in so much pain and discomfort that he told Dave Mackay that he was sorry but he just couldn’t go on. He would have to go off.

daves reply

“get up you bloody coward”

he played on. 

Edited by RamNut

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

There is a story in Roy macs book about the time when he was playing games with a painful groin injury.

it got to the point in one game where he went down and was in so much pain and discomfort that he told Dave Mackay that he was sorry but he just couldn’t go on. He would have to go off.

daves rely

“get up you bloody coward”

he played on. 

tenor.gif

I think pitch surfaces have something to do with it but there's also a school of thought that bladed boots and modern boot construction in general can also be a factor. That combined with the speed of the modern game probably accounts for a fair portion of the increased number of lower leg injuries in general.

https://www.pplbiomechanics.com/blogs/news/football-boots-related-injuries-and-appropriate-prescription

1 hour ago, Reg Matthew's Cap said:

The memory fades over time, I’m sure you are correct, I think he landed badly after challenging for a header.

Perhaps mine is fading as well, but as I recall he stretched into a tackle with the NI centre forward and his achilles snapped on impact.

2 hours ago, Dordogne-Ram said:

Perhaps mine is fading as well, but as I recall he stretched into a tackle with the NI centre forward and his achilles snapped on impact.

Sadly, he was never really the same player again after that.

The problem with all tendons and ligaments is that they are made of gristle, there is not much blood flowing through them and they take ages to heal. I did mine at the age of 12, didn't snap it though, and got off a whole winter's cross country running😊