Mason Bennett - Left for Millwall

RiddingsRam

Just now, Raich Van Carter said:

You might not rate him but he’s a Derby lad so I don’t think he deserves that comment. Obviously. 

He's been given plenty of time to prove himself and I don't think he has....just because he's "one of our own" doesn't mean we have to keep him...there are plenty of players who have come through our system who haven't made it....we need better than Mason....and perhaps I'm a bit old school as in discipline but I do not like the drink driving incident.....he has a lot to do to convince a lot of fans in my view and he is no longer a kid anymore.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, S8TY said:

He's been given plenty of time to prove himself and I don't think he has....just because he's "one of our own" doesn't mean we have to keep him...there are plenty of players who have come through our system who haven't made it....we need better than Mason....and perhaps I'm a bit old school as in discipline but I do not like the drink driving incident.....he has a lot to do to convince a lot of fans in my view and he is no longer a kid anymore.

I prob agree with most of that but still, call me old fashioned, but I don’t think the quips we’d usually apply to some players should be used on one of our own, that’s all. 

15 minutes ago, S8TY said:

In fairness, he had stopped at the junction waiting for traffic to clear before crossing, so he wasn't that impaired.

Unlike the clumsy twit following him, who true to form ran straight into the nearest man and lost control.

7 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

In fairness, he had stopped at the junction waiting for traffic to clear before crossing, so he wasn't that impaired.

Unlike the clumsy twit following him, who true to form ran straight into the nearest man and lost control.

Brilliant ?

26 minutes ago, S8TY said:

I refer to my earlier post in the thread 

On 14/01/2020 at 10:11, rynny said:

I have always said, and will always maintain, that if Bennett hadn't played for us at 15 then he wouldn't have got half the stick he gets. But because he has been around for so long forget that he is still young and still has plenty of time to progress even further. He had a great season last season, and looked like a an important member of the squad. This season has been a big step back for him, for one reason and another.

If he had broken through as a 21 year old and this was his 3rd season a lot of people would be excited to see how much more he can improve on a decent season last year. But because he has been playing a bit part role for 7 years from 15 years old, "he's been given plenty of time". 

a different world i rest my case GIF

1 minute ago, rynny said:

I refer to my earlier post in the thread 

If he had broken through as a 21 year old and this was his 3rd season a lot of people would be excited to see how much more he can improve on a decent season last year. But because he has been playing a bit part role for 7 years from 15 years old, "he's been given plenty of time". 

a different world i rest my case GIF

To me its not about time....and when he broke through....Everyone has an opinion and I don't think he's good enough 

When he's been out on loan he's not done much but when he plays for us he just doesnt do it for me...I would never have started him at wembley  for example but everyone has there opinions

6 hours ago, Shang said:

£250k is an absolute bargain for Millwall, such a low value it doesn't matter if he works out or not. He's worth more than that and we're losing a player who can play on the wing.

Not sure I agree with this.

Absolutely a bargain at our expense again 

6 hours ago, Anon said:

It's a strange signing for Rowett. He didn't play him when he was at Derby, so I don't see what Bennett has done to change his mind since.

Watching him play last season will have changed his mind but plenty on here just want to be critical and never see the positives 

oh and he is making a lot of money for Millwall 

18 minutes ago, rynny said:

bored bbc GIF

Don't think you quite get it .....I'll explain ..... TIME was your reply to my opinion that he's not good enough....saying because he broke in at 15 we all somehow forget the timescale and how old he was blah blah and to treat him as if he's had a couple of seasons .....its got nothing to do with it....and he's had plenty of TIME to prove himself so....TIME has nothing to do with it as he's had plenty....more than some...its about being good enough....

26 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Don't think you quite get it .....I'll explain ..... TIME was your reply to my opinion that he's not good enough....saying because he broke in at 15 we all somehow forget the timescale and how old he was blah blah and to treat him as if he's had a couple of seasons .....its got nothing to do with it....and he's had plenty of TIME to prove himself so....TIME has nothing to do with it as he's had plenty....more than some...its about being good enough....

I think you are the one not getting it personally.

My reply wasn't to you thinking he isn't good enough, it was to you saying he has had plenty of time to prove himself. 

You say he has had plenty of time, I'm saying most of the time that he has had shouldn't be used against him as he should not have been in the first team as he wasn't ready for it.

28 minutes ago, rynny said:

I think you are the one not getting it personally.

My reply wasn't to you thinking he isn't good enough, it was to you saying he has had plenty of time to prove himself. 

You say he has had plenty of time, I'm saying most of the time that he has had shouldn't be used against him as he should not have been in the first team as he wasn't ready for it.

I actually agree with you that he was probably too young and was over hyped...I remember him away at Boro where he nearly scored on his first team debut i think it was and thought we had a real player on our hands even at that age but ...for one reason or another he hasn't really kicked on....I'm not sure he will ever get better than what he is now rynny but who knows....he gets a lot of injuries and will still be sad if he goes 

9 hours ago, S8TY said:

I actually agree with you that he was probably too young and was over hyped...I remember him away at Boro where he nearly scored on his first team debut i think it was and thought we had a real player on our hands even at that age but ...for one reason or another he hasn't really kicked on....I'm not sure he will ever get better than what he is now rynny but who knows....he gets a lot of injuries and will still be sad if he goes 

3 goals and 5 assists is a reasonable return for a 22 year old breaking into the team. The fact he did it in only 1325 minutes of league football backs up how useful he is as a squad player. If that was his contribution every season with us from now on, I'd be very pleased.
To push on he needs to stay fit (which i'm not convinced he will). But, that doesn't take away from the fact he's a useful squad member given the wages he's on.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

3 goals and 5 assists is a reasonable return for a 22 year old breaking into the team. The fact he did it in only 1325 minutes of league football backs up how useful he is as a squad player. If that was his contribution every season with us from now on, I'd be very pleased.
To push on he needs to stay fit (which i'm not convinced he will). But, that doesn't take away from the fact he's a useful squad member given the wages he's on.

100%, he is a very underrated player, hated by everyone jumping on the lampostgate hating everyone bandwagon.

He's a good guy, honestly, and would love to see him sign a new contract, but I don't think that will be the case.

15 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Is this fact ? Or humorous license ?

14 hours ago, S8TY said:

Time is relative to be honest. If you look at it in terms of how many years he has been at Derby, then you might get the impression he has done nothing.

If you transpose that into minutes on a first team pitch (game time) then he probably wouldn't fill a season.

Players need time ON the pitch, IN the team to really get the best out of them.

I am not saying he is or will be good enough to play in the team but he certainly hasn't really been given the opportunity fr one reason or another.

Archived