Mason Bennett - Left for Millwall

RiddingsRam

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Ramarena said:

I would have thought it would have been more beneficial to hang on to him for the rest of the season as an impact player, especially given the fact that we are so poor on the wings and he offers a directness and aggression that our other players don't possess. 

I don't agree - We do have another player who can play from the wing with directness, aggression and much more skill, ability and vision than Bennett has - Martin Waghorn

Waggers was brought in as a forward utility player - Anywhere across the front three - And has also shown that he can do a job on the side of a midfield 4 (which seems to be the current flavour)

I'm a big believer in having players with a range of skillsets for different situations - And I've always enjoyed Bennett's energy - But I don't see him adding anything Knight doesn't have in a 4-man midfield and i don't see him being better than Waggers at anything in the front two/three

23 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I must be in the minority then who thinks that Bennett has the potential to be a great scorer. He has power, pace, technique and tenacity.

Sadly, he's rarely been played in his favoured position, and lacks the experience and perhaps has questionable intelligence to make it.

I had hoped Rooney's approach to the game could inspire Bennett.

I think you might be on to something as was Lampard - I think Lamps played him up top a few times.

I think Mason is definately one of those that needs an arm around him, encouragement, high morale

I think it is a testament to Lampard that not only did he do the obvious but he also created an environment where people like Mason felt less pressure and he almost definately had his best season.

This I am afraid is no help in the argument should he stay or should he go - I am guessing with 3 seasons under Lampard we would want to keep him - no Lampard and he becomes someone who requires too much mentoring, coaching, looking after and in that case it is a good thing to let him go.

Personally I liked him - like you say power, pace, technique and tenacity - when he finds he level/home I think he will tear it up for someone.

Mason blew his main career chance when his immaturity emerged again and he had his jolly night at the Joiners.

Now he can learn the London Underground system to get around, or employ an expensive chauffeur in the capital for a spell.

He had potential...we waited and waited, it flickered - and then crashed spectacularly. Now it's down to how he shakes off his psychological baggage and gets on with his job. Won't hold my breath on his 'rebirth' under Gawwy Wowwatt. They deserve each other.

Spent 6:29 mins of my valuable time looking at the Wowwatt interview. A random pile of bile; had to laugh when he said (of Bennett) 'He's a player you can trust'....

Gawwy also said: "We won't leave any lack of effort out there",., OK, so, all the lack of effort will be put out there on the pitch! Sorted!

Please, someone - now give us £5m for Tom Lawrence!

From the millwall interview

“I’ve had my time at Derby and when I look back on it I have some great memories. But I need to move on with my career and get going again.”

Just now, Carl Sagan said:

There's lots of talk that Bennett has been given a new contract with us. I suspect there's more to play out here than we currently know and, with Derby, nothing surprises me.

Protecting our interests / asset .. value wise I mean .. like with butters, Bradley and co

mererly a speculative guess 

36 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

There's lots of talk that Bennett has been given a new contract with us. I suspect there's more to play out here than we currently know and, with Derby, nothing surprises me.

I know we offered him a contact but didn’t know if any offer being accepted. I feel he’s decided it’s enough (especially after Joiners Gate) so will leave on a free* in the summer.

*Will we be due any compensation?

Archived