Mason Bennett - Left for Millwall

RiddingsRam

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely every fan will have appreciated Mason's contribution, especially when coming on as a sub and making a difference. However for some years he has not been able to establish himself as more than a squad player. It seems the right time to say thanks and all the best for the future.

Don't really see the point in this. He's not going to take us to the next level but its pretty factual he's more creative and a team player than Tom Lawrence is. I'd rather see Mason boot up for us than Tom, maybe just personal choice. 

I must be in the minority then who thinks that Bennett has the potential to be a great scorer. He has power, pace, technique and tenacity.

Sadly, he's rarely been played in his favoured position, and lacks the experience and perhaps has questionable intelligence to make it.

I had hoped Rooney's approach to the game could inspire Bennett.

29 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I must be in the minority then who thinks that Bennett has the potential to be a great scorer. He has power, pace, technique and tenacity.

Sadly, he's rarely been played in his favoured position, and lacks the experience and perhaps has questionable intelligence to make it.

I had hoped Rooney's approach to the game could inspire Bennett.

I definitely agree on power, pace and tenacity - but I don't recall him ever showing any technique of note. Especially in the final third. Other than his wondergoal (which was a wondergoal; but also not something he'll ever recreate) I can't remember him scoring a goal that wasn't bundling the ball into an open net from a rebound/scramble.

Just now, SaintRam said:

I definitely agree on power, pace and tenacity - but I don't recall him ever showing any technique of note. Especially in the final third. Other than his wondergoal (which was a wondergoal; but also not something he'll ever recreate) I can't remember him scoring a goal that wasn't bundling the ball into an open net from a rebound/scramble.

his technique in general. Passing, Striking and control of a ball is excellent.

21 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

his technique in general. Passing, Striking and control of a ball is excellent.

My observation/recollection disagrees with you but fair enough, looking at his numbers...

He's had 32 shots in his entire (league) career as a Derby player (4 goals). More have been blocked (11) than have been on-target (10) and 11 more have been off-target. Obviously, there's no stat for how someone hit a shot or how close it was but I'd expect, personally, at least a majority of shots to be on target if someone has good striking technique, not less than a third.

He's averaged 29 passes per 90 minutes in that time, and recorded a 67% pass success (64% last season) - which for reference would put him (where he is, coincidentally) last among outfield players in our squad this season (again, league games).

As for his control though, the numbers suggest that's sitting around average for this level. His unsuccessful touches numbers are about on par with Tom Lawrence, for reference. But Bennett's dispossessed numbers are better.

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

He’s gotta pass a medical yet... given his injury record is as bad as Marriotts, this ain’t done yet. Also, does Rowett know he’s only 23? Might change his mind on him when he realises he doesn’t match his 30+ policy

Shhh. Maybe Rowett thinks his nick name is RED and he is actually 32

Bennett is one of the only players who's natural instinct is to drive forward and run past people. Never wanting the ball to feet but into space. We saw against Luton all of our front 5 players natural instinct is to pass pass pass around the parked bus, where as if we had more players like Bennett, Knight, Bielik and Holmes in our front line we would have players trying to force their way through, giving them more problems or conceding a penalty.

Silly to get rid of him right now especially since none of our forwards are playing particularly well.

1 minute ago, Shang said:

Bennett is one of the only players who's natural instinct is to drive forward and run past people. Never wanting the ball to feet but into space. We saw against Luton all of our front 5 players natural instinct is to pass pass pass around the parked bus, where as if we had more players like Bennett, Knight, Bielik and Holmes in our front line we would have players trying to force their way through, giving them more problems or conceding a penalty.

Silly to get rid of him right now especially since none of our forwards are playing particularly well.

I think it is highly likely he wants to go.

Archived