Mason Bennett - Left for Millwall

RiddingsRam

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

I definitely agree on power, pace and tenacity - but I don't recall him ever showing any technique of note. Especially in the final third. Other than his wondergoal (which was a wondergoal; but also not something he'll ever recreate) I can't remember him scoring a goal that wasn't bundling the ball into an open net from a rebound/scramble.

Goals aside, that cross against Reading on the opening day last year was top drawer.

Never sure whether it was a fluke or a moment of magic from a player with confidence.

For me, a spell at Millwall could be a good thing, he will get a chance to show if he has something at this level on a regular basis. 

Interesting thing about his deal which presumably runs to 30th June, is that he's still 23 when it expires. Turns 24 a couple of weeks later but surely there's something in place to stop players from lapsing their contract and signing elsewhere when they hit 24.

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

I definitely agree on power, pace and tenacity - but I don't recall him ever showing any technique of note. Especially in the final third. Other than his wondergoal (which was a wondergoal; but also not something he'll ever recreate) I can't remember him scoring a goal that wasn't bundling the ball into an open net from a rebound/scramble.

You should have watched his youth games

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I must be in the minority then who thinks that Bennett has the potential to be a great scorer. He has power, pace, technique and tenacity.

...but next to no composure at first team level. It was evident as a 15 year old when he smashed it against the bar and it's something which hasn't improved in time.

He's an impact player against tired legs, but simply isn't good enough to be starting games in this league on a regular basis. I'd be surprised if he gets another 20 goals in his professional career without dropping down to League One or lower.

...but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if Rowett's tactics brought out the best in him and he bagged 7 or  8 goals for Millwall this season!

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You should have watched his youth games

I saw his youth games 4 years ago, when I started watching them; and obviously in the seasons hes occasionally popped up since. He didn't really stand out to me, other than being physically superior to most players.

Bennett is capable of moments of brilliance, but they're so fleeting that it's not clear if it's ability or fluke.

You wouldn't want Derby to sign him based on his injury record, but maybe if a club could keep him fit he could be an ok championship player

View it like this, over the course of the next contract term (2 or 3 years), who do you think will be a more effective player for Derby, Mason Bennett or Morgan Whittaker?

I think I'd be putting my shiny £1 wager on Whittaker (raw as he currently is).

Bennett has a good season in him somewhere, but I have a sneaky feeling it's not quite at Championship level.

3 hours ago, SaintRam said:

My observation/recollection disagrees with you but fair enough, looking at his numbers...

He's had 32 shots in his entire (league) career as a Derby player (4 goals). More have been blocked (11) than have been on-target (10) and 11 more have been off-target. Obviously, there's no stat for how someone hit a shot or how close it was but I'd expect, personally, at least a majority of shots to be on target if someone has good striking technique, not less than a third.

He's averaged 29 passes per 90 minutes in that time, and recorded a 67% pass success (64% last season) - which for reference would put him (where he is, coincidentally) last among outfield players in our squad this season (again, league games).

As for his control though, the numbers suggest that's sitting around average for this level. His unsuccessful touches numbers are about on par with Tom Lawrence, for reference. But Bennett's dispossessed numbers are better.

If a shot is blocked I would have thought that it was most probably on target ?

High earners gone in the last year - Johnson, Thorne, Bryson, Carson, Nugent, Bennett, Keogh, Pearce, Ambrose, Cole, Ollson, Ledley, Butterfield King, McCallister, Thomas, Blackman plus a host of younger players (Elsnik etc) 

and the wages for loanees Mount/Wilson/Tomori/Dowell/Paterson

Hamer, Clarke, Forsyth, Huddlestone, Anya, Martin at the end of this season. (presumably Malone, Davies and Zoon with year left on their contracts up for sale)

Shinnie and Bielik bought in for the longer term. 

we’re in the middle of a revolution. 

1 minute ago, richinspain said:

If a shot is blocked I would have thought that it was most probably on target ?

If it gets recorded as blocked rather than on-target it means it travelled basically no distance and you usually couldn't tell where it was going. If a shot travels enough distance to be obviously on/off target before hitting a defender it will usually count as on/off target, rather than blocked.

Not always the fault of the attacker; my point was just that you can't judge technique from blocked shots - so you have to remove those from a discussion on it - probably unfair of me to say 'a third'. Although, high blocked shot numbers are usually a symptom of delaying shots or struggling to find space in the first place.

8 minutes ago, singaporeram said:

High earners gone in the last year - Johnson, Thorne, Bryson, Carson, Nugent, Bennett, Keogh, Pearce, Ambrose, Cole, Ollson, Ledley, Butterfield King, McCallister, Thomas, Blackman plus a host of younger players (Elsnik etc) 

and the wages for loanees Mount/Wilson/Tomori/Dowell/Paterson

Hamer, Clarke, Forsyth, Huddlestone, Anya, Martin at the end of this season. (presumably Malone, Davies and Zoon with year left on their contracts up for sale)

Shinnie and Bielik bought in for the longer term. 

we’re in the middle of a revolution. 

I agree with what your saying, but disagree on a few in the high earners list. Dont think Bennett, Thomas or McAllister were high earners

Archived