Mason Bennett - Left for Millwall

RiddingsRam

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always held this hope that 1 season he stays fit, as a decent season and someone bids big money for him.

He has been around for years and should be approaching about 42, without looking I'm guessing he is still only 25ish.

If it wasnt for the incident last year I'd say keep him on low wages, but I wont be sad to him and his fellow musketeer leave the club.

I liked Mason, but he's hardly ever fit, doesn't take his first team opportunities, and I don't think he'll ever be good enough for the standard we're aiming for. That's without off field incidents. 

When he plays he puts himself about but there's not enough evidence to say as a winger he can regularly put in crosses like the only memorable one he did last season, or that moved centrally he'll ever be a regular scorer. 

Expect it will be loan with a view to a free, but for a modest fee with sell on and I wouldn't be gutted, anyone else whilst you're at it Gazza?

I like him but Davies off the wage bill would be nice, Forsyth? Hudds? 

For various reasons I doubt the club would have / will offer Bennett a particular attractive contract.  

Personally I wouldn't be that bothered if he left.  Commitment and effort has always been shown on the pitch but lacks awareness and ability for me to be in a side striving for promotion - he'd always be the one you'd be looking to upgrade.  I'd also be looking to move Lawrence on for his part in the documented 'incident' last year and try to have a fresh changing room so we can finally move on from all that.

Regards

Gangway D from the Terrace 

29 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I've always held this hope that 1 season he stays fit, as a decent season and someone bids big money for him.

He has been around for years and should be approaching about 42, without looking I'm guessing he is still only 25ish.

If it wasnt for the incident last year I'd say keep him on low wages, but I wont be sad to him and his fellow musketeer leave the club.

He’s 23, he could still be playing in 15 years time....though with his injury record I wouldn’t put money on it.

Absolute bargain for another championship team he had an excellent season last year showing great progression for the rams but plenty on here want to throw away someone who can actually carry on that improvement and who can cover a number of forward positions as well - I hope the club see what he can offer 

Seems like more than a coincidence that this story has popped up at the same time as his contract negotiations. Looks like a case of "well we have options so please sweeten the deal". If that is the case, given his conduct earlier this season coupled with his injury record he should consider himself lucky we are even willing to entertain the idea of offering him a new contract.

Put a sensible deal in front of him and he can take it or leave it.

There's ability in there, low on confidence and every time he about gets there he injures himself.

If somehow he stayed fit for a season he could be an asset, but just feel it will never happen here

Guarantee next club he's at he plays every game

I have always said, and will always maintain, that if Bennett hadn't played for us at 15 then he wouldn't have got half the stick he gets. But because he has been around for so long forget that he is still young and still has plenty of time to progress even further. He had a great season last season, and looked like a an important member of the squad. This season has been a big step back for him, for one reason and another.

1 hour ago, rynny said:

I have always said, and will always maintain, that if Bennett hadn't played for us at 15 then he wouldn't have got half the stick he gets. But because he has been around for so long forget that he is still young and still has plenty of time to progress even further. He had a great season last season, and looked like a an important member of the squad. This season has been a big step back for him, for one reason and another.

Just look at the poster further up the page who guessed Bennett was "still only 25ish"

3 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Agent talk trying to get a new deal Oris Mason actually going to leave ? Loan maybe ? 

Get rid.. 

I always liked Bennett but that was purely because he came through the academy. I think we all wanted him to do well because of that but he is an impact sub at best! 

If Waghorn and Marriott had started the play off final, we would have won..

He isn't good enough as a main striker unless he drops down a league. 

Would do well for someone like Burton.

Good luck to him is he does go.

3 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

I think Gary Rowett must be on some hard core stuff in London. Absolutely off his rocker.

He didn't use him much at Derby but I actually think Bennett would really suit a Rowett team. They condense up, draw teams in and create a lot of space for forwards to run into. One thing Bennett has an objective strength in is running into space.

Archived