Derby, Preston, 32Red & the Star Clause

ramsbottom

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Anyone read the Ryan Conway article about this??

Don't subscribe to the Athletic myself, but long story short, The Rams inserted a so called star clause into their deal with 32Red that has allowed for Rooney's & Frank's signings over the past couple of seasons.  With them being another club who're sponsored by them, but not having such a clause, Preston are upset about it ?‍♂️

Anybody bothered to read the whole thing??

That's not quite the right way to put it.

When we did the deal with 32Red, we negotiated a clause that said "if we sign a Star player, we will move to a new, better, deal." essentially.

Signing Rooney triggered the clause, and immediately after we signed a "new improved deal".

Lampard had nothing to do with the 'Star Clause'. 32Red came in and offered us a sponsorship deal in the first place because they got wind we were hiring him.

The clause gave us extra incentive to go out and get Rooney, sure. 

It's excellent, excellent business.

3 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Dont see the issue...if they get some stars then im sure 32red will negotiate a deal.

What makes this particularly good business is that it wasn't 32Red's initiative. It was our idea; that we then went out and realised. At that point 32Red HAD to improve their deal.

Smart AF.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I really don't get the 'ethical' issues surrounding the Rooney deal. 

We were already sponsored by 32Red. Without checking the exact numbers, I reckon at least half of the other teams in the league are sponsored by gambling companies. We play in the Sky Bet Championship.

If someone has a problem with gambling sponsorship in sport in general, then fair enough. But to kick off about Rooney wearing a particular shirt number that, to the naked eye, has nothing to do with gambling? I simply don't understand the hysteria.

also, 32 on the back of his shirt doesn’t encourage people to gamble. Certainly no more than 32 red on the front of his shirt. From a marketing point of view, it just helps people remember the number 32 a bit better than the number 365 or 888 for example, if they start thinking about WR32. 

It just means that people who are going to gamble anyway, go to 32 red as apposed to any other company.

14 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

also, 32 on the back of his shirt doesn’t encourage people to gamble. Certainly no more than 32 red on the front of his shirt. From a marketing point of view, it just helps people remember the number 32 a bit better than the number 365 or 888 for example, if they start thinking about WR32. 

It just means that people who are going to gamble anyway, go to 32 red as apposed to any other company.

If the 32Red neon signs flashing around the pitch, the 32Red signs plastered onto the playing surface and the 32Red logos on every players shirt (for both teams if we are playing Boro, Preston or Leeds) is ok with everyone I don't really think opposition fans can complain about the number 32 on Rooneys shirt.

2 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

Just doing a sloppy calculation of dividing the weeks he can play from January through to the end of May by the £1.5m is close to the £80k that was banded around previously. 

Four weeks before - that’s £320k and then the season finishes June 30th, so that’s 8 weeks at £640k. So really an extra million.

9 hours ago, rammieib said:

Four weeks before - that’s £320k and then the season finishes June 30th, so that’s 8 weeks at £640k. So really an extra million.

That’s assuming he was getting paid the same wage as a coach or even anything at all. He wasn’t registered as a player until the 1st January which is when his playing contract would kick in. 

14 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Without checking the exact numbers, I reckon at least half of the other teams in the league are sponsored by gambling companies

17 of the 24 are sponsored by betting companies, according to an article I read yesterday. 

5 minutes ago, rynny said:

17 of the 24 are sponsored by betting companies, according to an article I read yesterday. 

And completely understandable as that’s where the money is.

Morals don’t pay the bills, not that I personally think there is anything wrong with gambling, if we was to ban any advertising for products/services that can damage lives, be nothing left to advertise.

I’m sure the EFL will ban betting sponsors soon though for the good publicity it will give them, force clubs to find revenue elsewhere despite shafting them with the TV deal that appears to have been negotiated by the amateurs in the first week on The Apprentice.

18 minutes ago, David said:

Morals don’t pay the bills, not that I personally think there is anything wrong with gambling, if we was to ban any advertising for products/services that can damage lives, be nothing left to advertise.

I’m sure the EFL will ban betting sponsors soon though for the good publicity it will give them, force clubs to find revenue elsewhere despite shafting them with the TV deal that appears to have been negotiated by the amateurs in the first week on The Apprentice.

I agree, I'm not bothered who our sponsor is tbh, I don't think any of our sponsors have made me use their product if I didn't use it before.

If the EFL want to do that then they will need to change the name of their leagues first. 

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Maybe it's early or I'm really bad at maths, but the end of May to the end of June isn't 8 weeks

Check out when our (likely) last game is and then count the weeks from then until the end of June - You'll find its 8.

Rooney will have begun being paid the day he started his job with us. Early December from memory.

So December 1st to June 30th is 30 weeks = 30 x 80k = 2.4 Million.

Either way - I don't care - the club would have budgeted it for it - either through extra money from 32Red, Commercial revenue increases or player sales etc.

36 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Check out when our (likely) last game is and then count the weeks from then until the end of June - You'll find its 8.

Rooney will have begun being paid the day he started his job with us. Early December from memory.

So December 1st to June 30th is 30 weeks = 30 x 80k = 2.4 Million.

Either way - I don't care - the club would have budgeted it for it - either through extra money from 32Red, Commercial revenue increases or player sales etc.

Re-read the post you originally quoted and you'll see he said "to the end of May"4 of those weeks you've tried to add on have already been accounted for.

2 hours ago, David said:

True dat. If a product or service was universally and unequivocally recognized as being good and essential, then you wouldn't need to advertise....

.....you never see adverts for Birds pork pies for example...........?

22 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Re-read the post you originally quoted and you'll see he said "to the end of May"4 of those weeks you've tried to add on have already been accounted for.

I did. His original post said "That's a lot higher than I've seen before of his alleged wages. The £1.5m comfortably covers the remainder of this season."

I interpreted that as this season's Rooney wage was paid for by 32Red. I used his figure of 80k a week (as I have no idea) and it produces a £900k delta.

Archived