v Hull City (H) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

Derby play following the FK leads to a blocked shot from Holmes; and then a cross from Bogle being lightly headed clear and just evading Lawrence on the penalty spot as it is. 

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That wall was on top of Rooney by the time he took the FK and there was a Hull player standing a few yards further forward than the wall. Wtf??

It's good in spells and hopeless in others. Odd team aren't we. 

That last move then sums up a lot of our bad spells. Hamer gets the ball and hits the right pass to Clarke. But he hits it so slowly that by the time it gets there Clarke has to go back to Hamer. Now Hull have pushed up on Wisdom so when Hamer gets it back and passes to Wisdom then Wisdom has to go back to Hamer. All started from one utterly poo pass. 

A lot of our problems come from that kind of thing. And we wonder why we get bogged down at the back. 

Waghorn doing quite well playing as a target man. Still think that's an odd choice by Cocu to use him like that but it's a good effort. 

I just like the way Holmes, Knight and Lowe are trying to do things quick and early. Even if it's not worked out a couple of times it's just better stuff than some of the slow drawn out cack we like to throw out.

Decent half for me that, bar a spell in the middle where we seemed to abandon our principles and resort to hoof ball, inevitably resulting in a hatful of chances for Hull where they should have scored. After we started playing out from the back again we were well on top before the half time whistle. Fans need to stop moaning every time there’s a pass back, really don’t get how people can have such little an understanding of the modern game still. All the moaning does is make players panic and launch it, leading us to lose possession and get countered. It’s so much better when we retain possession and make our way up the pitch gradually, that’s how we can get men forward.

Look much better playing out the back with Wisdom in there, though we look more shaky defensively. Much quicker, sharp passing allows us to play out faster. With a goalkeeper who can kick a ball we might be better still, but alas. Holmes has been brilliant so far from his best role in the middle of the pitch, driving forward and instrumental in creating almost all our chances. Rooney particularly and Lawrence have been ineffective.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Decent half for me that, bar a spell in the middle where we seemed to abandon our principles and resort to hoof ball, inevitably resulting in a hatful of chances for Hull where they should have scored. After we started playing out from the back again we were well on top before the half time whistle. Fans need to stop moaning every time there’s a pass back, really don’t get how people can have such little an understanding of the modern game still. All the moaning does is make players panic and launch it, leading us to lose possession and get countered. It’s so much better when we retain possession and make our way up the pitch gradually, that’s how we can get men forward.

Look much better playing out the back with Wisdom in there, though we look more shaky defensively. Much quicker, sharp passing allows us to play out faster. With a goalkeeper who can kick a ball we might be better still, but alas. Holmes has been brilliant so far from his best role in the middle of the pitch, driving forward and instrumental in creating almost all our chances. Rooney particularly and Lawrence have been ineffective.

I was a big fan of the moment, towards the end of the second half - where we just had 3 half-chances in a row, then played it back to reset and a fan shouted, "ducking MOVE IT" ? 

Bowen should have scored. We were a bit better towards the end of the game. Whatever your view of Lawrence it doesn’t feel like he will mend his relationship with the fans and ever perform in a rams shirt again on a consistent basis. Rooney was mainly out of the game and I’m not sure how much more I can take of the “Look at his vision!” comments when he plays a regular square pass.

Prediction for the 2nd half 

Bowen hauled off after 60 mins  and a brace each for Lawerence and Rooney.

Early attacking move for Derby after Lawrence blocks a clearance. Waghorn cross almost reaches Bogle but is toed out for a throw. Our possession breaks down after a throw-in. 

Bogle with a great touch to Knight who for some reason first time volleys it back to Wisdom. Its very awkward to control and the ball breaks for Hull who waste the opportunity and give us the ball back. 

Why the players don't overload the near post area when we take "long throws" I don't know. Every single one, from Lowe or Bogle, bounces/is headed clear from that area. 

Archived