v Hull City (H) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

Solid victory, deserved over the piece, although how their lad missed that sitter first half is beyond my imagination. 

Wisdom did well, but then so did Foz when he came in for his first game back. He's got the opportunity now to own that shirt and become a leader for us. Hope he can step up, because I love his power and aggression. Good passer too, when he's on it like today.

Good solid shift from everyone else, with a special mention for Holmes, and a victory saving last ditch block from Max Lowe.

Rooney I'm not getting. Turned a corner since new year and he's played a part in that, but is it just me or is it all going on around him half the time?

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Just heard Ramage say Lawrence didn’t create anything today.

Shame we drew 0-0 isn’t it 

He didn't get chance to shine but rather than force it with greedy dribbling I thought he put in a mature performance. A quiet game but a useful one. 

And didn't he technically create the only goal in the game?

3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Sheffield train station can duck right off, any train that ever touches it gets delayed

Gonna be a pissing sprint for KO now

Did you get overtaken by a chap in grey Millennium, at the roundabout? ?

This was a much improved performance.

Hamer ok but cannot kick for toffee 

Bogle played well but his cut inside when he attacks is telegraphed and he needs to try the outside occasionally 

Clarke has a good game and scored a goal from a corner ... yes a corner 

wisdom played well apart a hospital pass to HUD’s and a cynical foul

Lowe he is impressing me gets better with each game 

Holmes my man of the match did a lot of the catching and get fetching and was at the heart of a lot of attacks 

Hudds a couple of mistakes but gives balance to the midfield with a good range of passing and a calmness 

Rooney lot more running from Wayne his football brain is awesome started to play further forward and was instrumental in getting us going forward

lawrence his mind is somewhere else at the moment, he has talent but seems to lack confidence 

Knight love this lad he was at the heart of all the good things and never gives up 

Waghorn never stoped trying, some good linkup play with Rooney , needs a goal 

thought we played well, compared with some of dross we have recently watched progress is being made. I like playing with 2 quarterbacks in Rooney and Hudds, close one down and the other will pass you to death 

10 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

Solid victory, deserved over the piece, although how their lad missed that sitter first half is beyond my imagination. 

Wisdom did well, but then so did Foz when he came in for his first game back. He's got the opportunity now to own that shirt and become a leader for us. Hope he can step up, because I love his power and aggression. Good passer too, when he's on it like today.

Good solid shift from everyone else, with a special mention for Holmes, and a victory saving last ditch block from Max Lowe.

Rooney I'm not getting. Turned a corner since new year and he's played a part in that, but is it just me or is it all going on around him half the time?

I imagine he is a huge distraction for some of the opposition players by just being on the pitch... "omg It's WAYNE ROONEY!!!"?

Hamer - clean sheet somehow - as bad as Roos with crosses and takes ages to kick the ball into touch 

Bogle - ok but just cross the ball first time

wisdom - at least he is getting a game as he didn’t deserve to lose his place at RB

clarke - MOM goal clean sheet 

lowe - decent enough 

Huddlestone - I thought he was excellent 

Holmes - did well 

Knight - worked hard 

Rooney - we keep getting results with him 

Lawrence - not great but an assist once he eventually got the ball passed the front man

waghorn - received no service so hard to be criticised 

Hull - fairly poor in many ways - didn’t really attack - goalkeeper would be slaughtered if he played for us on the floaty cross that we scored from - Bowen should have easily scored and thankfully didn’t hit the target 

excellent 3 points for us and a clean sheet let’s move on 

The positives:

Duane Holmes was magnificent (again) and is a shoe in for player of the season - if he stays fit. He is positive, covers a lot of ground and his low centre of gravity means he can get in and out of tight situations. 

Max Lowe and Jayden Bogle had good games. I think it’s fair to say they’ve fully secured those positions as their own. Bogle was a different player second half after having the confidence of beating his man. 

Wisdom and Clarke have potential as a partnership. Needed a little help with distribution but that’s to be expected. 

We scored a header from a corner!!

The negatives:

Far too slow and ponderous in possession first half in particular and it’s to literally no ones surprise it’s because Huddlestone was playing. Harsh to drop Max Bird after doing so well to play the Glacier. Average distribution, was a week late to a challenge first half which I don’t know how it wasn’t given as a free kick and nearly cost us with a bricked first touch and tug boat speed to try get the ball back - luckily we blocked the shot  

Waghorn can’t play up there by himself. He put himself about better than usual today, admittedly, but it just doesn’t work

Rooney is better suited deeper, although it maybe due to Waghorn. Replace Huddlestone with him, he can do the same job but is more mobile and doesn’t take 3-5 business days to pass the ball on.

2 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

Why do you think that then? Is he inspiring the others? Prompting them? I'm just not seeing it. Probably just me.

Exactly that. Inspiring others, providing belief and contributing quietly but efficiently. You won't see him charging around but he be in the right place at the right time. Also talking others through the game. 

30 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Considering everything the club has gone through this season, some might say a top half finish is an achievement

That's not what you were saying when you were slagging off Cocu, saying the only reason we were struggling was  poor management and saying he should be doing better with a squad which didn't/couldn't include some of those who've performed well recently as part of the pickup in results, one of whom got the winning goal today!

It's all OK though, not REALLY trying to dig you out, just pointing out why I found some posts on here in November so bloody agitating / infuriating!

25 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

"Is it all going on around him half the time?" Yes it is, exactly that but in a very positive way. He doesnt miss a trick. Coaching on pitch constantly

1 hour ago, admira said:

Early thoughts. Clarke and Holmes MOM for me. Lawrence and Bogle disappointing in first half. 

Few mistakes overall so a decent performance. Can’t recall the last time we made no subs. I’ll try and work out when it was next week. 

It was around the same time as we last scored from a corner before today.

14 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Hamer - clean sheet somehow - as bad as Roos with crosses and takes ages to kick the ball into touch 

Bogle - ok but just cross the ball first time

wisdom - at least he is getting a game as he didn’t deserve to lose his place at RB

clarke - MOM goal clean sheet 

lowe - decent enough 

Huddlestone - I thought he was excellent 

Holmes - did well 

Knight - worked hard 

Rooney - we keep getting results with him 

Lawrence - not great but an assist once he eventually got the ball passed the front man

waghorn - received no service so hard to be criticised 

Hull - fairly poor in many ways - didn’t really attack - goalkeeper would be slaughtered if he played for us on the floaty cross that we scored from - Bowen should have easily scored and thankfully didn’t hit the target 

excellent 3 points for us and a clean sheet let’s move on 

No way is Hamer  as bad as Roos on crosses.

Just now, derbydaz22 said:

No way is Hamer  as bad as Roos on crosses.

They are both not great - today Hamer allowed the Hull player to get above him and he had his hands in the air ? but fortunately he headed over - he also passed to Huddlestone who was surrounded by at least three Hull players 

2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

They are both not great - today Hamer allowed the Hull player to get above him and he had his hands in the air ? but fortunately he headed over - he also passed to Huddlestone who was surrounded by at least three Hull players 

He also punched a cross 12 yards off his line when Roos doesn’t leave his 6 yard box for crosses,he’s not perfect but he’s a upgrade on Roos for sure.

4 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

In the same way they’re keeper came flapping for Clarke’s goal ... fortunately for us 

Just got back in, not a great game, but we got the win, which I thought we deserved thought Knight and Holmes were very good, they give us much needed engine, that's 6 unbeaten now, starting to enjoy winning games again.  On Rooney u can see he has so much class and is a team player did some lovely touches today not his best game, but u can see how much quality he has, also thought our shape without the ball was very good today. The Whisky will taste alot better again tonight after another win, let's keep this run going and get to 10 unbeaten, also pleased for Cocu, who has had a tough start to managing in England, but I think he will prove a very good manager given time. 

2 minutes ago, Coconut said:

That's not what you were saying when you were slagging off Cocu, saying the only reason we were struggling was  poor management and saying he should be doing better with a squad which didn't/couldn't include some of those who've performed well recently as part of the pickup in results, one of whom got the winning goal today!

It's all OK though, not REALLY trying to dig you out, just pointing out why I found some posts on here in November so bloody agitating / infuriating!

I do maintain that Cocu could and should have been doing better and it's down to his management.

OK, granted, Clarke has made a difference. But of course he is going to. He is a natural centre back. Cocu was choosing to play a left back in Forsyth at centre back even when he had Wisdom available. How do you explain that and countless other strange decisions over recent months?

Besides Clarke, I'm not sure you can say it's the returning players who have inspired this jolt in form. During the recent good form, our standout players have been Wisdom, Lowe, Holmes, Knight, Bird, Davies and Waghorn. All players who have been fit and available for some time. It has just been a question of whether Cocu would pick them, play them in their best position, and let the team settle.

Considering Hull are the best side we have played in this spell in terms of league position, you'll probably find we have benefitted from a favourable run of fixtures and the players took heart from the performance vs Charlton - our best of the season - and ran with it.

At the end of the day, Cocu deserves credit for the brief turnaround. The real credit will come if and when he can maintain it. Let's be fair, we haven't proven anything yet. We could easily revert back to being poor in the spring.

Archived