Harry and Meghan

RamNut

50 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Number 1 yes, I worked in a knitwear factory in the 90s, 700 people of which Only  40 were men. When we had little work on we had to go to the sewing rooms to help out. A good looking 18 year old still wet behind the ears didn’t stand a chance !!! 

I know someone who worked in a similar situation on his last day at work a mob of about 40 women chased him around the factory with the intention to strip him naked to see if he measured up to what women wanted, he had to lock himself in the men’s toilets and climb out the window and run home and vowed never again to work with bunch of women.

I was in fits of laughter when he told me but I could tell by the look on his face he furious. 

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

Number 1 yes, I worked in a knitwear factory in the 90s, 700 people of which Only  40 were men. When we had little work on we had to go to the sewing rooms to help out. A good looking 18 year old still wet behind the ears didn’t stand a chance !!! 

Tough on the good-looking 18 year old guy, but how was it for you?

42 minutes ago, Anon said:

I label them as such because I think discriminating against people based solely on skin colour is insane and only ideologues would push such an absurd idea.

Oh you poor old thing, you! Having folk of your own race and ethnicity discriminating against you. Must be awful. You must almost feel like an ethnic minority!

43 minutes ago, Anon said:

I'm saying it's a discriminatory practice, which it is by definition. There's also the FA's Elite Coach Placement Programme which stipulates that every England team will have an ethnic minority coach as part of their coaching staff wherever possible.

Of course you are, old bean. God knows how horrible it would be if rather than just having to interview one or two non-Aryan stock, you poor chaps actually had to employ them occasionally.  *Shudder!

47 minutes ago, Anon said:

I don't feel the need to determine whether a certain group is "put upon" or not when discussing discriminatory hiring practices.

So that'd be a 'no' then. Seems you can only cite examples from within the football world.

I'll assume then that the horrors of positive discrimination have yet to impact your life directly then, and raise a glass to your good fortune. Some might call that white privilege. Not me mind, as there's no such thing apparently and I'd just be told I'm scum anyway.

49 minutes ago, Anon said:

Regarding the Rooney Rule as it applies in English football, it's been put in place to appease an advocacy group who repeatedly use misleading statistics to further their cause. I wasn't going to call them "woke scum", but I can if it gets you off.

Ah, thanks for enlightening me. There was me thinking it was put in place because relatively speaking, there were so few BAME managers and coaches in the game despite the high numbers of BAME ex-players. I'll set that aside as yet another delusion suffered by us non-Anglo-Saxons then, shall I?

As for what gets me off, I would say I'm flattered by your offer, but I'm really not! ? Perhaps you should stop thinking about my intimate needs and go for a long walk or summat instead? 

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Rooney Rule has always irked me somewhat, but that's as a white lad who would think I wouldn't want a shot at a job just because I was white. So obviously, you have to give to those that actually can speak from their stand point.

However, found it very interesting that on Sky Cricket with the test this week they were discussing the South African selection and black player quota and that Ntini (retired, black player) hates it because it's not about merit.

Just thought it was interesting. Guess like most things, there's differing of opinions between even those it's supposed to help.

I've spent a lot of time in South Africa and the quota system, while perhaps well-intentioned, really has gone too far. That said, were it not for the repugnant regime that was Apartheid, there may not have been such a fierce backlash.

That notwithstanding, far more extreme reprisals have been seen in other African states. Lessons to be learnt perhaps? 

28 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

There was me thinking it was put in place because relatively speaking, there were so few BAME managers and coaches in the game despite the high numbers of BAME ex-players

Ah. Yes, but that’s just a naturally occurring phenomenon that so far science has been unable to explain

It can’t be because of racism, because we all (even the right-wingers on here) agree that racism is bad, so we’d all be up for anything that addressed it if it was about racism wouldn't we. And saying that moves to address racism are themselves racist cancels things out and becomes a null argument

Leaving us with no change. The mystery remains unresolved. (cue twilight zone music)

48 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Oh you poor old thing, you! Having folk of your own race and ethnicity discriminating against you. Must be awful. You must almost feel like an ethnic minority!

I wrote "discriminating against people based solely on skin colour is insane and only ideologues would push such an absurd idea". It is beyond me why you would automatically assume ethnic minorities are excluded from that statement.

Of course you are, old bean. God knows how horrible it would be if rather than just having to interview one or two non-Aryan stock, you poor chaps actually had to employ them occasionally.  *Shudder!

You can insinuate all you want, my argument remains unchallenged. Are you quite certain you think the Rooney Rule is "nonsense"? You seem oddly invested in defending it for someone who apparently holds such an opinion.

So that'd be a 'no' then. Seems you can only cite examples from within the football world.

I'll assume then that the horrors of positive discrimination have yet to impact your life directly then, and raise a glass to your good fortune. Some might call that white privilege. Not me mind, as there's no such thing apparently and I'd just be told I'm scum anyway.

Strange, that someone posting on a football forum would be predominantly interested in football. I'll also remind you that at no point did I suggest this practice was widespread. I said that advocacy for this practice was common amongst the type of people who use the phrase "white privilege". Since you're such a fan of examples, would you like to provide a link of me calling you scum that isn't a direct quotation from yourself?

Ah, thanks for enlightening me. There was me thinking it was put in place because relatively speaking, there were so few BAME managers and coaches in the game despite the high numbers of BAME ex-players. I'll set that aside as yet another delusion suffered by us non-Anglo-Saxons then, shall I?

If they used numbers of BAME ex players I'd be much happier. All too often the percentage of current BAME players is cited as evidence when discussing the percentage of BAME managers.

7 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Ah. Yes, but that’s just a naturally occurring phenomenon that so far science has been unable to explain

It can’t be because of racism, because we all (even the right-wingers on here) agree that racism is bad, so we’d all be up for anything that addressed it if it was about racism wouldn't we. And saying that moves to address racism are themselves racist cancels things out and becomes a null argument

Leaving us with no change. The mystery remains unresolved. (cue twilight zone music)

Ah, thanks for clarifying @SchtivePesley So if I understand you correctly, the imbalance is as a result of us non-mighty-whites being a tad dim or at least not as intelligent and / or ambitious as our caucasian counterparts and therefore rather poo at this whole football management malarkey and there's therefore no hope for me as a consequence? Shame really as Derby manager,  astronaut and brain surgeon were my 3 preferred options for when I grow up. 

Thinking about it, I did wonder why fewer BAME folks bothered to put themselves forward for jobs in footy, because apparently that's the most appropriate metric, or so I'm told. Now I understand.

I'm guessing now too that there really are no gay footballers after all. They are just another myth put about to make 'normal' people feel uncomfortable?

Jeez, these minorities are devious AF aren't they! 

12 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Ah, thanks for clarifying @SchtivePesley So if I understand you correctly, the imbalance is as a result of us non-mighty-whites being a tad dim or at least not as intelligent and / or ambitious as our caucasian counterparts

You're doing a wonderful job of not appearing to be an insane ideologue obsessed with skin colour. Keep up the good work.

14 minutes ago, Anon said:

You're doing a wonderful job of not appearing to be an insane ideologue obsessed with skin colour. Keep up the good work.

Oh you humourless old so-and-so. Because we're being deadly serious and not at all mocking your anti-libtard schtick ?

I bet you even wear the mask don't you? ?

1 hour ago, Anon said:

I wrote "discriminating against people based solely on skin colour is insane and only ideologues would push such an absurd idea". It is beyond me why you would automatically assume ethnic minorities are excluded from that statement.

Indeed, we are then in modest agreement. That said, I haven't assumed that ethnic minorites are excluded, quite the opposite in fact so I'm not really sure how you've deduced that from what I've written. Perhaps a lifetime of being continually oppressed has clouded your thought processes in this narrow regard? Have another read if you like. It might provide some clarity. 

1 hour ago, Anon said:

You can insinuate all you want, my argument remains unchallenged. Are you quite certain you think the Rooney Rule is "nonsense"? You seem oddly invested in defending it for someone who apparently holds such an opinion.

Thank you for your permission massa. I'll insinuate away then. 

Ref my 'odd investment in defending' the Rooney Rule, you appear to be insinuating something yourself but then perhaps I'm just imagining it? For clarity, I think it's stupid because it achieves absolutely nothing. I'll concede however, that if I were as clever as you clearly are, I'd not concern myself over its net benefits, nor overlook the resentment it might cause amongst the perennially insecure. My bad

1 hour ago, Anon said:

Strange, that someone posting on a football forum would be predominantly interested in football. I'll also remind you that at no point did I suggest this practice was widespread. I said that advocacy for this practice was common amongst the type of people who use the phrase "white privilege". Since you're such a fan of examples, would you like to provide a link of me calling you scum that isn't a direct quotation from yourself?

Well not really as I have suggested twice that I'd be interested to hear if or how positive discrimination has affected you. But hey, no biggy, let's talk football instead! 

Also, at no point in time have I stated, or even suggested that you have called me scum. Perhaps you should retrace the last 2 or 3 pages of this thread if you are really confused by the reference?

In any case, obviously you are far too much of a gentleman to resort to that kind of language, of this I have little fear. None at all in fact and in this instance I choose my words carefully.

1 hour ago, Anon said:

If they used numbers of BAME ex players I'd be much happier. All too often the percentage of current BAME players is cited as evidence when discussing the percentage of BAME managers.

Ah, a happy finish! Excellent. By the way, I'm not referring to your earlier offer..

Might I say though, that as a member of one of those pesky minority groups, I can't tell you how much it heartens me that in order to make you happy, all BAME groups need do is put your needs ahead of their own. I'm sure I shan't be alone in this regard either. I honestly can't think how it is that in matters concerning the under-representation of ethnic minorities, your feelings have been so callously overlooked. Shocking really!

22 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

So, in this thread, we've had people who usually complain about frivolous accusations of racism supporting a bloke who frivolously accused someone of racism. We've also had a woman labelled as 'scum' because she's on the left side of the political spectrum (or because she works for a public service broadcaster, who knows).

Isn't this supposed to be the other way round? I thought it was 'woke' people who accused everyone of being racist and who abused anyone who didn't agree with their opinion?

image.png.3a4dc46f6c7eee27e2136d727daed03f.png

Oh ffs. I called her scum, not because she was from the left but because she was turning something into something it was not. At least have the nads to tag me if you’re gonna have a sly dig. I nearly missed this.

13 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Oh ffs. I called her scum, not because she was from the left but because she was turning something into something it was not. At least have the nads to tag me if you’re gonna have a sly dig. I nearly missed this.

I asked you to clarify why you called her 'scum' and you didn't answer. If she's scum for believing that some of it is influenced by racism, does that make me scum too?

Fair enough, I should have tagged you (re the scum comment) and @Norman (re frustration at excessive accusations of racism). Probably bottled it because I get on with you both outside of this thread and don't want to jeopardise that.

10 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I asked you to clarify why you called her 'scum' and you didn't answer. If she's scum for believing that some of it is influenced by racism, does that make me scum too?

Fair enough, I should have tagged you (re the scum comment) and @Norman (re frustration at excessive accusations of racism). Probably bottled it because I get on with you both outside of this thread and don't want to jeopardise that.

I called her scum because she was turning into something it was not.. She was just virtue signalling herself as some sort of hero .. It was all about her. Scum.

18 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

She was just virtue signalling herself as some sort of hero .. It was all about her. Scum.

As opposed to Mr Fox, whose whole Twitter page is centered around him leading the fight against 'Wokeness' (how heroic of him). https://twitter.com/LozzaFox

He' also just labelled the inclusion of a Sikh Soldier in the film, '1917', as an example of 'institutional racism' and diversity being 'forced on us', depsite the fact that Sikhs fought and died in both World Wars. I think that comment is the epitome of scum. https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/laurence-fox-racism-1917-sikh-soldier-a4339826.html

This guy has managed to turn this whole discussion something all about him, just coinciding with a UK tour. How convenient.

50 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

As opposed to Mr Fox, whose whole Twitter page is centered around him leading the fight against 'Wokeness' (how heroic of him). https://twitter.com/LozzaFox

He' also just labelled the inclusion of a Sikh Soldier in the film, '1917', as an example of 'institutional racism' and diversity being 'forced on us', depsite the fact that Sikhs fought and died in both World Wars. I think that comment is the epitome of scum. https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/laurence-fox-racism-1917-sikh-soldier-a4339826.html

This guy has managed to turn this whole discussion something all about him, just coinciding with a UK tour. How convenient.

I havent seen the film but i would have though 99% of us wouldnt even have noticed.

Laurence Fox comes across as a total plonker to me. His head will explode then when he gets round to watching the new David Copperfield movie.

5 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I havent seen the film but i would have though 99% of us wouldnt even have noticed.

Laurence Fox comes across as a total plonker to me. His head will explode then when he gets round to watching the new David Copperfield movie.

As an actor, he'll know all about casting and directoral decision making - adults playing the leads in Romeo and Juliet, humans playing the cyborgs in the Terminator films etc. His objections are more likely inclined towards anything where old-Harrovian sons of successful actors don't get the gig. 

Though it must be particularly galling to see in 1917 a part being played by an old-Harrovian son of successful actors.

Archived