Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes

Parsnip

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
7 hours ago, Squid said:

Two of my favourite comedians are Frankie Boyle and Ricky Gervais, we need more people who don't care, and just say exactly whats on their mind.

Too many snowflakes about nowadays

There are, it's not like the organisers didn't know what to expect either.

It's like those who complain about the likes of boyle, or even chubby brown.

If you go and see them don't complain you know what to expect. 

8 hours ago, Alpha said:

Anyone read The Wheel Of Time or The Witcher.

The cast of The Wheel of Time includes a mixed race group that come from a corner of the world similar to England. There's parts of the world where they have darker skin and hair. But the Two Rivers where the story begins, it's within the lore that the people are pale skinned, brown eye and brown hair. It's part of the story telling that the main character has reddish hair, grey/blue eyes and darker skin. Casting mixed race people here doesn't make sense yet that have done it

And The Witcher. In that world you get dark skinned people. Probably more Asian than black. Yet the TV show has cast mixed race people in white roles. Triss for example is white with red/brown hair. In the show she's mixed race with black hair

Now I know it doesn't really matter that much. But that's the point. Surely it doesn't matter if they are all white? 

I mean it's not racist to have an all white cast in a movie about Vikings. It's just the subject. 

Where I do think it isn't quite right is in like Last Of The Mohicans (one of my favourite films). Does Daniel Day Lewis need to be a yankee adopted by the tribe? I never read the book but I'm sure the tribe is only natives? 

I look forward to a remake of Zulu, where they have to cast some white guys in amongst the crowd of zulus, along with the occasional East Asian lesbian, for the sake of diversity. 

I think Stewart Lee is very funny, this opinion piece is flawed though. He knows he can't criticise Gervais' actions, so goes with the extremely weak "some bad people agree with your argument, therefor it must be wrong" line. The problem there is that I happen to agree with many things that Lee says, and I'm horrible. So maybe Stewart should think on the next time he decides to criticise Christian fundamentalist groups for censorship of art, because the fact that someone like me praises his work should at least make the Stewart Lee wonder if he has any responsibility for the cultural ripples caused by those who appropriate his “just jokes”.

3 hours ago, ossieram said:

I can't stand the bloke and don't find him funny at all.

He’s an acquired taste Ossie, and I have sat in a couple of gigs of his uncomfortable because those around me just don’t get it. I actually prefer and enjoy watching him more on telly, just me and him - no outside influences.  I personally think much of what he does is very funny, and I am going to see him for the 6th, maybe 7th, time live in February. 

On 13/01/2020 at 17:55, i-Ram said:

He’s an acquired taste Ossie, and I have sat in a couple of gigs of his uncomfortable because those around me just don’t get it. I actually prefer and enjoy watching him more on telly, just me and him - no outside influences.  I personally think much of what he does is very funny, and I am going to see him for the 6th, maybe 7th, time live in February. 

I went to see him last night for about 7th time too. Legendary.

Stewart Lee

sometimes I find him very funny. Sometimes not funny at all.

however that is an improvement on most other comedians. 

(Not sure where that leaves me. Unsure of my pigeon-hole?)

13 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Aaah.......so It’s a Brexit-voting, luvvie-hating, Megan-bashing thread 

sorry. I took a wrong turn. 

It's pronounced "breg-zit" I think you'll find.

Agreed about Stewart Lee though, sometimes he tries a bit too hard not to be Michael McIntyre. 

Archived