Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes

Parsnip

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Van Wolfie said:

I find him just as funny and talented as James Corden

I dunno – the easy bit is to slag off the acting fraternity, but his actual jokes were mostly unfunny. Loved The Office and Extras, but I find his stand up (ie when he’s being himself) painfully unfunny

Just me though – I know comedy is subjective. I thought Frankie Boyle did  the “it’s just a joke no matter how offensive” stuff much better on his New Year show closing monologue

11 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Brilliant. The uncomfortable faces in the audience make it even better ?, whoever hired Ricky for the job might be getting fired.

Nah he's been doing it for years! There's been some beautiful moments. Introducing Mel Gibson in 2010 was a particular highlight for me (at 8.12 in this video).

He's hit the nail on the head with his Weinstien joke towards the end. There will be a lot of people in that audience who either knew or had an incling as to what Weinstien is/was and just carried on regardless. They are to varying degrees complicit in his behaviour.

If that made people in the audience feel uncomfortable it's because it was right on the money.

Gervais’ jokes only really work when he’s punching up and unfortunately his only real up now is ‘the Hollywood elite’. 

Last night was still quite funny but this is the only real environment his humour can work in because he needs to be a bit of a fish out of water. Going on stage with a ‘don’t care’ attitude’ and half a lager is his way to stand apart from it.  The problem is he can’t pretend he’s in the exact same boat as many in that room last night, he’s a cog in the wheel like everyone else there.

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

Gervais’ jokes only really work when he’s punching up and unfortunately his only real up now is ‘the Hollywood elite’. 

Last night was still quite funny but this is the only real environment his humour can work in because he needs to be a bit of a fish out of water. Going on stage with a ‘don’t care’ attitude’ and half a lager is his way to stand apart from it.  The problem is he can’t pretend he’s in the exact same boat as many in that room last night, he’s a cog in the wheel like everyone else there.

He did take the opportunity to plug his only series on Netflix. 

its funny that the American press are giving him crap reviews for his hosting. Not that he cares, as he’s pointed out on numerous occasions during that monologue. The Americans really don’t get it some times. By and large the brits are loving it. 

15 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

He did take the opportunity to plug his only series on Netflix. 

its funny that the American press are giving him crap reviews for his hosting. Not that he cares, as he’s pointed out on numerous occasions during that monologue. The Americans really don’t get it some times. By and large the brits are loving it. 

America’s great comedic tradition is the comedy roast. Let’s not pretend that everyone involved is ignorant on the best way to get the biggest reaction.

It worked as an advertising device. 

watching this reminded me that I wanted to check out his series After Life, and he’s right, you can watch it in the time it takes to watch the golden globes. 

It’s really funny, but duck me, I was in floods of proper tears. I’ve not cried like that since Bobby ducking Zamora. Not afraid to admit I can get damp eyes watching any old poo, and my wife takes the puss out of me for it, but this was proper chunky tears down my cheeks and I just had to give up trying to hold them back in the end. Luckily the wife was asleep or I’d never live it down. 

Just now, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Never heard it called that before ?

I seem to have a terrible inability to type on here, and can’t be arsed to proof read. I must give the impression that I speak like the English police man on ‘allo ‘allo. 

I assure you I’m actually quite eloquent.

Just now, TigerTedd said:

I seem to have a terrible inability to type on here, and can’t be arsed to proof read. I must give the impression that I speak like the English police man on ‘allo ‘allo. 

I assure you I’m actually quite eloquent.

Just messing mate. Actually thought you were doing the swear filter avoidance thingy but couldn't resist a cheap gag anyway ?

4 hours ago, maxjam said:

I don't think anyone really cares. 

Movies etc should be about entertainment not hitting various targets.

Seriously?

How can you watch a film without updating your spreadsheet to analyse the number of women and BAME actors appearing in it?

What a sad life you must lead.

Archived