Academy Players

Really pleased with how the young players have come in and shown what they are capable of. 

Some supporters need a bit more patience though. I’ve seen quite a few saying one in particular not good enough etc etc. 

Cocu has shown he knows what he’s doing with them and that they’ve earned their place. Let’s make sure we give them our full support and not bin them after seeing them for just a few minutes. Some younger players will need a bit more time to adapt and I fully back Cocu for knowing how to handle them. 

These are players that can potentially take our club forward and make the club worth a whole lot more. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm enjoying this season in a strange sort of way, especially with regards to the youngsters coming through.  I've been far more disappointed by some of the senior pro's and loans bought in. 

Hopefully with time and Cocu's backing we'll have a homegrown core to the squad capable of having another good promotion push in a season or two's time. 

Watching Sibley today showed a lot of what I like about our young players. He wasn't scared at all, had the right amount of aggression, wasn't afraid of putting himself about, happy to express himself on the ball and take chances. There are a lot of young players that are talented, but don't have the right mentality. A lot of our players coming through have an edge to them, which makes them even better. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Watching Sibley today showed a lot of what I like about our young players. He wasn't scared at all, had the right amount of aggression, wasn't afraid of putting himself about, happy to express himself on the ball and take chances. There are a lot of young players that are talented, but don't have the right mentality. A lot of our players coming through have an edge to them, which makes them even better. 

That was what Rooney said about Knight, he is fearless, its great to see.

Whittaker on the other hand seems to be a bit more cautious. He is the one I am really excited about as well, a goal or two and I think he will settle down and kick on.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Even more of a reason to start watching the younger age groups  

Next game is this Wednesday for the U18s against Brighton in the FA Youth Cup. A big game for our little ones. 

Just now, Andicis said:

Agreed, Bird, Sible and Knight are terrific examples.

Whittaker, unfortunately, seems to be the opposite at the moment. Hope he'll can learn from the other young ones soon.

1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

That was what Rooney said about Knight, he is fearless, its great to see.

Whittaker on the other hand seems to be a bit more cautious. He is the one I am really excited about as well, a goal or two and I think he will settle down and kick on.

This is what we are talking about. Don’t single them out or their development could take longer. 

This is Derby's golden generation we're starting to see, and it's why Cocu was brought here. I still think it's such a shame he arrived a season too late for Elsnik, but this season we've seen:

Roos Bogle Lowe Bird Knight Sibley Whittaker Bennett Buchanan Mitchell-Lawson Ravas Mitchell(?) Huddlestone(!)

in the match squad with most playing games. We kind if take it for granted, but this is very unusual. I'd say at least three of these (not including Hudds) will have decent Premier League careers and there's a decent chance it'll be more. They'll be stronger next season and capable of mounting a genuine challenge.

3 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Even more of a reason to start watching the younger age groups  

Next game is this Wednesday for the U18s against Brighton in the FA Youth Cup. A big game for our little ones. 

And some of them are really little ones! 

Now Cocu's nicked the under 23s for the first team, Lyons has nicked the under 18s for the 23s. We will probably have a few 16 year olds playing. They are great as well. ?

1 minute ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

This is what we are talking about. Don’t single them out or their development could take longer. 

That isn't singling him out for criticism, to be honest I didn't read your original post thoroughly.

I am sick to the back teeth of reading Derby fans criticising Whitaker, as I know what a great prospect he is. All I am saying is, unlike Sibley and Knight who are fearless, Whittaker clearly needs a bit more patience, once he scores he will flourish.

The one in particular you mention must be decent for Cocu to give him a go & there must be a player in there somewhere. He just looks like he's behind the likes of Knight, Bird & Silby.

He might not be behind them in terms of technical ability. But he looks well off it positional wise & physically. He looks unsure whether to press or tuck in. 

He looks nervous, it could be the not used to a big crowd, frightened of having a go & messing up so over thinking it or just not good enough ?‍♂️

He certainly wont get any better by not playing minutes. Either needs to stay around the first team & come on last ten mins of a game & the get minutes in. Or go on a short term loan. Play against blokes that will go through the back of you & toughen up 

1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

That isn't singling him out for criticism, to be honest I didn't read your original post thoroughly.

I am sick to the back teeth of reading Derby fans criticising Whitaker, as I know what a great prospect he is. All I am saying is, unlike Sibley and Knight who are fearless, Whittaker clearly needs a bit more patience, once he scores he will flourish.

I think he could do with a loan to play with the 'big boys' for 6 months, like with Lowe?

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

And some of them are really little ones! 

Now Cocu's nicked the under 23s for the first team, Lyons has nicked the under 18s for the 23s. We will probably have a few 16 year olds playing. They are great as well. ?

And this is great too for future development. 

I’m loving the vision of our club right now. 

33 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Quite right with this.

Against Barnsley he was getting dogs abuse for not closing down the keeper when it is far more likely that he was told by Cocu to stay deep and hold the team's shape. 

Whittaker looks like he is playing out of position, displaced from the central striker / no10 role which i would assume is his future role. 

Bird, Sibley, Knight all slot in and look just as good if not better than established pro’s.

Whittaker needs a loan. He is lost on the pitch and not contributing enough. U18/23 has shown he has ability but doesn’t necessarily mean that can be done at the first team. Some blossom and some don’t.

Whilst it’s great to see many Academy Players if any player isn’t putting the effort in or contributing enough I’ll say that whether they are academy or not.

I’ll complement when it’s the right thing to do for any of the players. Last three games have been pleasing and Cocu’s ‘new’ tactics are refreshing.

59 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

A little break from the first team for Whittaker, boost confidence in the u23s and then back around the first team, gentle approach and he will surely step up.  It was interesting to read that Cocu had an individual plan for each academy player to integrate them into the first team or enable them to succeed elsewhere. 

If you were Knight, Sibley, Bird, Lowe or Whittaker right now, you would be buzzing, winning games, managed by a world class midfielder and playing with a world class midfielder on it! I bet the rest if the academy lads are chomping at the bit to impress! 

Plus, if your a sought after under 16 player and are looking for a club to give you a chance, where would you choose?

Really good signs of things to come! 

MM must be very chuffed at what’s coming through ( even though he has paid for it) 

opposition clubs will know all about our academy players but they won’t have seen them all actually play professional football but they are starting to and the bids will start to come in  

Archived