Not a nice man

Derby Lad

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a bit harsh on this internet. 

Have to be honest if my kids wanted, I dunno, a Little Mix autograph and I'd waited with them and out they came and walked past everyone leaving my kids upset... I'd be a bit annoyed. 

Whether that's fair on them or not. I just know it would mean so much to my daughters

We all have our idols that we would love to meet and quiz. I'd sell the missus for 5 minutes quizzing Hannibal Barca. 

The OP does need to accept that people like Rooney are busy. If you take 5 minutes to chat to every fan, give £10 to every charity that contacts him and does every media obligation he's going to be stretched thinner than Cheryl Cole. 

The internet should relax on this one. 

I think the OP might have more of a case if last night was Rooney’s last appearance for us and that was him off, never to be seen in the city again.

To create a thread on a Derby County forum that Rooney is not a nice man though it was a fact, when he knows absolutely nothing about him away from football is petulant at best.

He is not a special case and really needs to get a bit of perspective.

51 minutes ago, Alpha said:

It's a bit harsh on this internet. 

Have to be honest if my kids wanted, I dunno, a Little Mix autograph and I'd waited with them and out they came and walked past everyone leaving my kids upset... I'd be a bit annoyed. 

Whether that's fair on them or not. I just know it would mean so much to my daughters

We all have our idols that we would love to meet and quiz. I'd sell the missus for 5 minutes quizzing Hannibal Barca. 

The OP does need to accept that people like Rooney are busy. If you take 5 minutes to chat to every fan, give £10 to every charity that contacts him and does every media obligation he's going to be stretched thinner than Cheryl Cole. 

The internet should relax on this one. 

Just out of interest would you be quizzing him in Phoenician or resorting to the traditional approach of just speaking slowly and loudly in English?

42 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

I think the OP might have more of a case if last night was Rooney’s last appearance for us and that was him off, never to be seen in the city again.

To create a thread on a Derby County forum that Rooney is not a nice man though it was a fact, when he knows absolutely nothing about him away from football is petulant at best.

He is not a special case and really needs to get a bit of perspective.

Just a thought. He may be a special case.

20 hours ago, Derby Lad said:

Nobody can take anything away from Wayne Rooneys outstanding footballing capabilities. Everybody knows that (had a very good game tonight). However this thread isn’t about how he is on the pitch, more so how he treats the fans.

There was a huge amount of fans (about 80 with me and my son included) waiting for him to finish his many long interviews after the game. We all waited for about half an hour after the game and as soon as he finished he headed straight into the tunnel despite people loudly calling for him.

Me and my son then got photos with all the other players who were so friendly and just generally top blokes. We met almost every one of the first team players and none of them got in their car until everybody who wanted an autograph or photo got one.

We also noticed that Rooney has his car parked right outside the stadium with metal railings all around it so that he could just leave the stadium and instantly get in the car without meeting any fans. Me and my son noticed another 20 or so people waiting around these railings just waiting for Rooney (who would undoubtedly ignore them again) while we met the rest of the players.

Clear lack of regard to the fans which highly contrasts with the other players 

Seriously. Grow up. 
I got told to ‘duck off’ by Paul McGrath once when he was at Derby. Loved him. 
Everything about Rooneys conduct so far at Derby has been exemplary. 

Sith Happens

11 hours ago, Bosshogg said:

Seriously. Grow up. 
I got told to ‘duck off’ by Paul McGrath once when he was at Derby. Loved him. 
Everything about Rooneys conduct so far at Derby has been exemplary. 

It must be a nightmare being a recognisable figure in public at times.

An old colleague of mine used to tell me a story how he say Craig Short in the pub and went upto him, obviously pre-selfy but for some reason or other. Short told him he was out with friends so what ever my colleague was asking for was declined. My colleague finishes his story by satisfactorily telling us that he then launched into Short with a tirade of 'i pay your wages blah blah blah'

I think Shorts response is perfectly acceptable.

We saw Hughes and Hendrick one NYE in Revolution having a few pints and in fairness to them they were happy for people to take selfies (more the girls mind i think ha...), but maybe a few years down the line when with family etc they wouldnt want interrupting.

Like your situation, dont know where it was of course but you could have been the 30th person to approach him, and some people really do talk baalocks too so he could have been well peed off by that point.

On 03/01/2020 at 10:42, MuespachRam said:

I bumped into the entire England team and staff in Basel airport after a game over there and he could not have been nicer. The security staff we trying to stop me talk to them all and Rooney walked past heard what was going off and came back and grabbed me and said “he is with us” then let me walk into the private lounge they had set aside and spend 15 minutes talking to them all....Himself, Gary Neville, Lee Dixon, Joe Hart and Danny Welbeck could not have been more friendly  

Spot on. Several years ago my boss was on holiday in the US of A. Went to the theatre, where Rooney and his missus happened to be in the audience. At the interval my boss approached him about getting a selfie with the great man. He couldn't have been more accommodating. I've seen the pics. Whether it was because he was another Brit, or because he's just used to it, I don't know, but the topic of this thead is a load of bolleaux.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived