Not a nice man

Derby Lad

Nobody can take anything away from Wayne Rooneys outstanding footballing capabilities. Everybody knows that (had a very good game tonight). However this thread isn’t about how he is on the pitch, more so how he treats the fans.

There was a huge amount of fans (about 80 with me and my son included) waiting for him to finish his many long interviews after the game. We all waited for about half an hour after the game and as soon as he finished he headed straight into the tunnel despite people loudly calling for him.

Me and my son then got photos with all the other players who were so friendly and just generally top blokes. We met almost every one of the first team players and none of them got in their car until everybody who wanted an autograph or photo got one.

We also noticed that Rooney has his car parked right outside the stadium with metal railings all around it so that he could just leave the stadium and instantly get in the car without meeting any fans. Me and my son noticed another 20 or so people waiting around these railings just waiting for Rooney (who would undoubtedly ignore them again) while we met the rest of the players.

Clear lack of regard to the fans which highly contrasts with the other players 

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, you and your son had a nice time after all, getting so many autographs from first team players.

Still dissatisfied though.

Can you in your wildest imaginings contemplate what it's like being Rooney?

Hounded by media and fans since he was 16 and now finally in the autumn years of his playing career taking his first steps into coaching and yet still his time after a game doesn't belong to him, no but to the ever needy fans, who when they don't get the star attention they so crave slag the guy off as not a nice man.

I always find it weird and sad when grown men are outside 3 hours before kick off waiting for autographs. Each to their own I guess.

and regarding Rooney, the guy probably just wanted to get home, it was late, his kids were there. He must have done a ton of interviews.

You've had a great day at work today.  I'm really impressed with what you have achieved, and would like to shake your hand and thank you in person.  Come and see me in my office after you've clocked off.  Call the missus and tell her to keep your tea warm.  

He did all that pre-game press, was kept behind for ages for interview after  interview and he isn't just a player he has coaching responsibilities too, plus his family were in the crowd waiting to congratulate him. 

He looks up and sees 100 odd people wanting pics, autographs, a chat. He knows he has to meet each and every one with a smile and take his time...or they will say he couldn't be bothered to talk, only saw a few before he buggered off, looked miserable etc etc.. So he concludes the other players are saying hi, and he will let them do that and he and will go and see his family /debrief /meet the sponsors /do Radio interviews.. Whatever. 

5 hours ago, Derby Lad said:

Nobody can take anything away from Wayne Rooneys outstanding footballing capabilities. Everybody knows that (had a very good game tonight). However this thread isn’t about how he is on the pitch, more so how he treats the fans.

There was a huge amount of fans (about 80 with me and my son included) waiting for him to finish his many long interviews after the game. We all waited for about half an hour after the game and as soon as he finished he headed straight into the tunnel despite people loudly calling for him.

Me and my son then got photos with all the other players who were so friendly and just generally top blokes. We met almost every one of the first team players and none of them got in their car until everybody who wanted an autograph or photo got one.

We also noticed that Rooney has his car parked right outside the stadium with metal railings all around it so that he could just leave the stadium and instantly get in the car without meeting any fans. Me and my son noticed another 20 or so people waiting around these railings just waiting for Rooney (who would undoubtedly ignore them again) while we met the rest of the players.

You were moaning in August about not getting a players shirt after the match despite begging many times.

Never understood why fans wait around for a autograph, I got an old home shirt and sent it to Moor Farm with a nice letter attached  - a week later it came back fully signed by the squad. Job done.

Theres also training sessions in the summer to get autographs etc.

Getting selfies when it’s 10pm at night in this weather? Can’t you blame him for buggering off to his 20 million Cheshire mansion? 

Think everyone's got to remember Rooney is here to make his next step in football. He owes nothing to Derby and he knows it. 

He's not a nice man, he's a superstar player. They act/talk/play in a completely different way and we need to make the most of it. 

He could be the nastiest twit about if he produces on the pitch for us. 

6 hours ago, Derby Lad said:

You ok hun?

6 hours ago, Derby Lad said:

Ok so your telling me he should be there until 4:30am signing everyones shirts or whatever, giving them a pat on the back etc.

No.

What he chooses to do after the game is solely down to him, he's just played 90 mins for the first time since October in a more physically taxing league, not to mention all the pre-match and post match stuff he has had to do aswell! Bet he was ready for bed!

Cut him some slack, he's here for 18 months, not 1 game, I'm sure he will be more present with the fans after games as time goes on.

21 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

He's a horrible person. It was raining and he was in his car yet made thousands of fans walk into town afterwards.

Made me laugh....

However the rather bizaare Milky bar contribution has disappeared... or did I hallucinate that.? 

21 minutes ago, Boycie said:

You were moaning in August about not getting a players shirt after the match despite begging many times.

Strange posting history. 9 posts consisting begging for things from players and mainly Darren Wassell. 

FWIW on this one, if it's even true, I'm sure when the media frenzy settles somewhat he'll be more accommodating.

6 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Made me laugh....

However the rather bizaare Milky bar contribution has disappeared... or did I hallucinate that.? 

I'm absolutely delighted that a moderator apparently thought that was a genuine criticism. Did they imagine some tabloid journalist might read it and run the story?

Two sides to every story. This post is like one of them old woman that moan on Facebook about a local business that have usually not done much wrong. Irs damaging & wrong

Imagine all the mither Rooney has had throughout is whole career. Probably cant walk down any street in the country without being recognised. Being a superstar you have to learn to say no. The rest of our team wouldn't be known outside of Derby city centre. Even then they probably don't get much mither 

Also imagine being human & having a day when you just can't be bothered with signing autographs. 

As a player he's won everything, arguably Englands greatest ever player & certainly the biggest superstar by a long way to ever play for our club in my life time. Just enjoy he's here ?

Archived