The Politics Thread 2020

16 hours ago, 1of4 said:

It appears it's not just cobra meetings that Johnson doesn't like attending. He finally turned up to answer questions from MPs at Commons Liaison Committee meeting something he's failed to do on three previous occasions. Johnson was probably happy that due to the coronavirus he didn't have to be in the same room as his questioners and was able to give his answers via a video link. I wonder how many idiot boards Cummings had to hold up with the answers written on them, to enable Johnson to reply to the questions put to him.

Is this the commons liaison committee you are referring to?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liaison_Committee

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

It’s irrelevant line of thinking Dominic Dave ‘The Norman’ Cummings and anyone who bothered to think about it would know it’s a useless debate. You know this as well as I do.

If you were bothered with anybody else’s opinions aside when you want to control the line of thinking you’d note the line with most people in this thread, it isn’t about what he did but about the deceit and covering up around what he did. Heck if you were paying attention you’d know there was no point asking me that question because I’d noted that I didn’t really find much wrong on a human level with what he did. That alone proves what the real interest here because you have no idea what and who you are debating with and have no interest either.

Beautiful deflection of a very simple question 

3 minutes ago, jono said:

Beautiful deflection of a very simple question 

Answers are not simple. The world is full of nuance. Answers are full of nuance. Asking 'simple questions' isn't going to get simple answers if the answers are a true reflection of the individuals' view of the situation.

Dealing in absolutes is for those who are not interested in shades of grey. People who don't want to look.

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Answers are not simple. The world is full of nuance. Answers are full of nuance. Asking 'simple questions' isn't going to get simple answers if the answers are a true reflection of the individuals' view of the situation.

Dealing in absolutes is for those who are not interested in shades of grey. People who don't want to look.

Dammit, before your great reply I was gonna reply with ‘yes’!

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Dammit, before your great reply I was gonna reply with ‘yes’!

Touchee ...but it was still a cracking deflection avoiding an answer. 

Actually @AndyinLiverpool is right, there are shades of grey throughout life. Something that political ideologues never see - as the Cummings spat on here shows in sharp relief. .. I find it deeply saddening that the events aren’t discussed on a balance of logic and common sense. ... he’s a conservative advisor .. and bingo .. the left leaners want him out and the right leaders want him saved. 

I suppose I am a right leaner on here but if it had been Kinnock and Starmer had been PM .. I know my judgement would have been the same. .... none story .. political point scoring 

Edited by jono
26 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Certainly looks like the one that Johnson finally attended this week. The one he found a reason not to attend on three occasions.

The one that sits twice a year and asks the prime minister questions annually? The prime minister that has been in post for  10 months?

1 minute ago, jono said:

Actually @AndyinLiverpool is right, there are shades of grey throughout life. Something that political ideologues never see - as the Cummings spat on here shows in sharp relief. .. I find it deeply saddening that the events aren’t discussed on a balance of logic and common sense. ... he’s a conservative advisor .. and bingo .. the left learners want him out and the right leaders want him saved. 

I suppose I am a right leaner on here but if it had been Kinnock and Starmer had been PM .. I know my judgement would have been the same. .... none story .. political point scoring 

Why is explaining the nonsense of the question a deflection?

What do you gain from knowing the answer?

You’d probably get a very good idea of what I think when I laid out all my opinions on this in one post, I don’t feel the need to go over pages and pages reiterating my response when I wrote it out in detail. I went away and thought about my view, read a little on here and also what proper journalists wrote and came back and expressed a pretty balanced view because I took it all in. That probably reads quite arrogantly but I wish more people thought about what they posted sometimes. I’d rather people paid attention and could see the debate for what it is rather than what they want it to be.

10 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

The one that sits twice a year and asks the prime minister questions annually? The prime minister that has been in post for  10 months?

That's the one. The meeting had to be postponed three times because  Johnson didn't want to attend.

UK u-turns on commitment to tax transparency, giving up £10 billion in corporate tax

https://www.taxjustice.net/2020/05/06/uk-u-turns-on-commitment-to-tax-transparency-giving-up-10-billion-in-corporate-tax/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=scotland_joins_wave_of_countries_excluding_tax_haven_tied_corporations_from_covid_19_bailouts&utm_term=2020-05-28

Not great IMO:

While countries on the Financial Secrecy Index on average decreased their secrecy scores on the index, the UK increased its secrecy score, for which it was criticised for “backsliding”. The UK is the only country to be identified as part of both the “axis of secrecy” – the countries most complicit in helping individuals to hide personal wealth from the rule of law – and the “axis of tax avoidance” – the countries most complicit in helping multinational corporations avoid tax.

The UK is four times more responsible for corporate tax avoidance risks around world than the next biggest contributor of corporate tax avoidance risks, the Netherlands, which accounts for less than 7 per cent.

Alex Cobham, chief executive at the Tax Justice Network, said:

"The UK showed the world true leadership in 2016 by being the first country to commit to publishing country by country reporting data and promoting the standard at a global level. The UK’s U-turn on tax transparency this week, as the world takes stock of the economic costs of COVID19 and braces for economic recession is baffling if not dangerous. By choosing not to hold corporate giants to account, the UK has not only missed out on billions of pounds in corporate tax that could have gone to NHS workers on the frontline of the pandemic, they’ve put other countries’ health services at risk by putting the brakes on years of international effort to tackle corporate tax abuse."

The UK government seems to be claiming that they have just discovered, after four years of collecting this data, that their multinationals have been reporting inconsistently – and to such a degree that the government wants to block publication. It seems rather more likely that they’ve just realised how much anger there will be, from their own public and from neighbouring countries, when it becomes clear just how much profit shifting and tax abuse they’ve facilitated. This, of course, illustrates exactly why this data must be made public."

7 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Why is explaining the nonsense of the question a deflection?

What do you gain from knowing the answer?

You’d probably get a very good idea of what I think when I laid out all my opinions on this in one post, I don’t feel the need to go over pages and pages reiterating my response when I wrote it out in detail. I went away and thought about my view, read a little on here and also what proper journalists wrote and came back and expressed a pretty balanced view because I took it all in. That probably reads quite arrogantly but I wish more people thought about what they posted sometimes. I’d rather people paid attention and could see the debate for what it is rather than what they want it to be.

The purpose of debate is twofold. First to voice your opinion and second to try and convince others that your opinion is valid. Part of that process has to be to challenge or face a challenge of that view. Asking a question which spotlights an anomaly in a viewpoint is part of that. @Norman I think it was just asked a question .. simply, if the person under scrutiny wore a different political colour would your judgement have been the same. .. reasonable question that needs an answer if your POV is to have any merit. Otherwise the view becomes nothing more than dogma

32 minutes ago, jono said:

Actually @AndyinLiverpool is right, there are shades of grey throughout life. Something that political ideologues never see - as the Cummings spat on here shows in sharp relief. .. I find it deeply saddening that the events aren’t discussed on a balance of logic and common sense. ... he’s a conservative advisor .. and bingo .. the left leaners want him out and the right leaders want him saved. 

I’m going to have this framed. Not even her indoors ever says I’m right. Come to think of it, especially her. 

7 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I’m going to have this framed. Not even her indoors ever says I’m right. Come to think of it, especially her. 

Good on you and well done again on the focus shifting. Who needs double glazing when smoke and mirrors abound and diffuse. 

2 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

You can just ignore me

Noooo the point about argument is to engage with those who have differing views. .. something the left has a big problem with. Disagree and you are branded as a heretic or a Nazi. It’s why the left never gets power - because it talks to itself in a bubble, doesn’t adapt to changing times. What is called the centre right now Is vastly different, more tolerant and more of the people Than those from 50 years ago. The trad left is fighting battles that have in many cases been won but because they either talk amongst themselves or demonise alternative views, they fail. 

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Answers are not simple. The world is full of nuance. Answers are full of nuance

I fear nuance is disappearing up its own behind Andy.

I have a crazy fascination with behavioral economics and cognitive biases and the works of people like Daniel Kahneman, the late Amos Tversky, Dan Ariely etc.

It took me getting into that topic about 20 years ago to realize how crap I was at critical thinking and saw things as black and white - which they almost never are.

I have no issue stopping and examining my own thinking and forcing me to see both sides of the story.

I also understand the difference between a belief and fact, which many people don't seem to.

But I'm struggling with this one because here are the facts about this case as far as I'm aware and I probably haven't followed it as closely as some of you as I'm too busy being outraged by Trump.

Fact # 1. Dominic Cummings helped write the stay at home rules.

Fact # 2. He breached those rules whilst millions didn't - some of whom lost loved ones without being able to say goodbye.

Fact # 3. By his own admission he took his family out for a ride whilst unsure of his eyesight.

Fact # 4. He's an elitist tool who's gaslighting the entire country in a manner that would have Trump purring with pride.

All indisputable, right?