The Politics Thread 2020

3 hours ago, jimmyp said:

I’m pretty sure he said it was because he was extremely concerned that should he also suddenly become unwell he or his wife then wouldn’t be able to care for the child so they decided to be near family who could help.

So everyone with a child / children can jump in a car and travel 250 miles to stay in another property if they fear they may become ill ? 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I'm guilty.

I've been round me 83 year old mums two or three times a week.

She fell and broke her hip the week after lockdown, she spent nearly two weeks in hospital where we could not visit her or even take any clothing or personal items for her, just daily phone calls, no other contact.

She came home from hospital unable to walk, she lives on her own after me Dad passed away little over a year ago.

So me and the missus have been going in, gloved, aproned and masked as best we could for the minimum amount of time to bag up and take washing to do at home, warm her up a meal, do what ever else you have to do with an 83 year old invalid, once the carers were in place we made absolute minimum visits, again just to sort stuff the carers didn't do and for her mental health. She is scared, feeling depressed, lonely, and missing all her family, grandkids and great grandkids. 

I am working still so most likely to infect her so I have kept my distance and tried to sanitise everything even though I use disposable gloves etc.

We stand at the front window and talk to her by phone but sometimes we have to go in as she is in distress, often over a little thing, summat she can't reach or open.....its heartbreaking , but we do what we have to while trying our best to keep her safe.

Cummings is the very embodiment of everything that is corrupt and vile in this great country of ours. Selfish elites making the rules but having no intention whatsoever of following them. 

But you adapted the rules so you could look after a loved one. No harm in that is there?

Edited by Van Gritters
7 hours ago, Eddie said:

Utterly and totally, because those are the rules - or rather, they were. Since April 1 I have remained indoors or no more than 2 metres from my front door or within my (enclosed) back garden. Front door to collect parcels and deliveries, to bring them into the house where I meticulously clean everything, move it into quarantine, wash work-surfaces down with dilute bleach solution before washing my hands thoroughly. Back garden to enjoy a little bit of sunshine and a beer or do a little gardening. No trips out to the supermarket, no walks, no visits to or from anybody, no trip to the paper shop. If anyone delivers anything, they knock at the front door, put everything down on the path, then they leave. Once they have gone, and not before, I collect everything and bring it indoors.

I used to work in research before I moved into IT 40 years ago, and some of the substances I was dealing with had an LD50 of as little as 4 micrograms/kg - and some could be absorbed through the skin (stuff that was approaching 50% of the kill potential of Novichok). It teaches you how to take precautions.

And by sticking to the rules have you had any symptoms of the virus?

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, jimmyp said:

Although I feel it should be irrelevant, I didn’t vote for the conservatives at the most recent election but I also didn’t vote labour. 

Sadly a vote for anyone other than labour in the last election was as good as a vote for conservative. 

That's not meant to be a dig at your choices though

Edited by Coconut
1 hour ago, Archied said:

So everyone with a child / children can jump in a car and travel 250 miles to stay in another property if they fear they may become ill ? 

To be fair to Cummings, it does say in the guidelines that if you've told your "boss" to shake hands with Covid patients, you are allowed to run to the hills if your wife develops symptoms. And that you should try and develop herd immunity by putting the family in the car for 5 hours. The silver lining is that if you or your family require hospital treatment, you can aid the spread of the disease by heading to a local hospital. The local hospital probably won't have sufficient PPE either as the government you represent had spent the last 3 years arguing about the Brexit that you lied about to win the referendum.

3 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Sadly a vote for anyone other than labour in the last election was as good as a vote for conservative. 

That's not meant to be a dig at your choices though

I understand what you are saying and I don’t take it as a dig. 

I live in what is statistically the most or second most secure Conservative seat in the UK so  my vote was kind of irrelevant.

Every election I vote for who I believe would best represent our country. Hopefully Labour in its new format will provide a better opposition to the current conservative government. 

1 hour ago, Archied said:

No and nor do I believe they should. 

Been watching this whole Cummings thing over the last couple of days and I am not sure where I sit on this.

1. If this was Corbyn or Abbot, would I have had a different view. If I answer myself honestly the answer would probably be yes, so I am a hypocrite and needed to step back and look at the actual event.

2. Was he right, absolutely not and should face the consequences.. 

3. The spin is embarrassing, just fess up and take it.

4. Was it that bigger crime? Probably not and I might have done the same.

5. I grow to despise the press more and more each day. What they are doing is unacceptable and should be stopped.

6. I liked that Cummings was tearing up the rule book with the Civil Service, yet in so many ways, I just looked at him and thought WTF is that. Slovenly, does that really matter? Strangely, yes it does. Very unangry view that.

So I am still torn, is he that important to government? If yes, that’s a worry. Should we get rid of someone that important just for this? Probably but which is the bigger picture. What has politics become? A bloody mess for sure. Do I still support this government? Yes but that has taken a knock.

What I can’t forgive is even if technically he may have had a point, morally he was wrong. There would have been better options I am sure. If you accept the role, you accept the responsibility as well. Sorry mate as much as I liked what you were trying to do, you gotta go IMO.

8 hours ago, rammieib said:

That would have been a far more interesting press question than what we got from the pathetic attempts of Laura K, Robert P or Beth R.

If these are our stella journalists then the whole $hitfest shows that I wasted an hour of my life yesterday...was Andrew Neil out reporting on the bloodshed at the Nell Gwynn tea rooms?

27 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Been watching this whole Cummings thing over the last couple of days and I am not sure where I sit on this.

1. If this was Corbyn or Abbot, would I have had a different view. If I answer myself honestly the answer would probably be yes, so I am a hypocrite and needed to step back and look at the actual event.

5. I grow to despise the press more and more each day. What they are doing is unacceptable and should be stopped.

6. I liked that Cummings was tearing up the rule book with the Civil Service, yet in so many ways, I just looked at him and thought WTF is that. Slovenly, does that really matter? Strangely, yes it does. Very unangry view that.

So I am still torn, is he that important to government? If yes, that’s a worry. Should we get rid of someone that important just for this? Probably but which is the bigger picture. What has politics become? A bloody mess for sure. Do I still support this government? Yes but that has taken a knock.

What I can’t forgive is even if technically he may have had a point, morally he was wrong. There would have been better options I am sure. If you accept the role, you accept the responsibility as well. Sorry mate as much as I liked what you were trying to do, you gotta go IMO.

Yet another great post @Angry Ram

Posted (edited)

There are no rules anymore, after watching this unfold and listening to Cummings, Boris and his cabinet I’m more than comfortable that I can trust my own common sense , judgement and moral compass far more than those making and handing down the rules same as the majority of  people I know

Edited by Archied
26 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

I think if there is one think both sides of the political divide can agree on its that the standard of journalism forced upon us these days is truly shocking.  Hateful, gotcha questioning, lies and opinion passed off as fact, abusing their power to suppress independent journalism all whilst patting themselves on the back promoting their 'why you can trust us' trust policies.  Sickening.

Politicians used to face hard but fair questioning and we as the general public were better informed, its no surprise that they would rather hide in a fridge these days than face the garbage they are subjected too.  Whether you believed Dominic Cummings or not yesterday (and personally I don't really care either way - just another Tory being a Tory imo 'we're all in this together', year sure we are 😕)  I think the only thing people will ultimately take from it was how thoroughly unlikeable the Westminster press pack are.

7 hours ago, jimmyp said:

But Dominic Cummings never had an eye test. He never claimed to have an eye test. So surely implying he had an eye test is untrue.

Good grief, it's as clear as the eye chart in front of your face. He drove to Durham Castle to 'test his eyesight'. Ergo, he self-administered an eye test.

3 hours ago, Archied said:

Absolutely not - well, absolutely not if you actually OWN that second property (you are not allowed to move to your second home/holiday home), but I suppose it's ok if somebody else owns it.

It's a 'squatter's charter'. Find somewhere unoccupied, move in, self-isolate rent-free.

51 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Best post of yours ever. Possibly best post in the thread. Bravo. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Ramarena said:

He’s not a minister but I’m betting he could have had transport arranged to drive him up there and back if it was so important instead of driving up whilst sick!

More worrying is the fact that they feel they can get away with such blatantly laughable lies like the eyesight test. It all just erodes the democratic process they claim to be upholding!

There was an interesting tweet about how his sister(in-law?) who lives in Durham has just been made a director(?) of Idox - the company that's involved in the trace/track app. The signing date matched his visit(s)...

Edited by RoyMac5