The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Needlesh said:

I'm going to send my lad for one. Bit of fresh air will do the lazy little baalocks a world of good.

If the farmers were Belgian and brewed Saison for the farm hands to drink, I'd be sorely tempted, but unfortunately it's not the 19th century any more - except in Jacob Rees-Mogg's mind, of course.

I used to go fruit and hop picking with my mum back in the 1950's in Kent. It's probably where I developed my interest in microbiology.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

So who's going fruit-picking or helping with the harvest this year?

Wouldn't make much difference if we all went, the farmers need 50,000 +

We don't get that many on here even if we make a Barker type signing.

Nah, I'm calling fake news on this one. We all know that the government's handling of the virus, especially the mistakes made, were all down to their stringent adherence to scientific advice, right? This is clearly just more media shizzle-stirring I'm afraid... Also, we can't be looking at contact-tracing either because we abandoned that months back, didn't we? Mind you, given some of their chosen advisers don't seem to know that February 30th isn't actually a thing, you'd not blame them if they'd had enough of experts, especially when all we need actually do is stay alert and it'll all be gravy.

Boris Johnson should resist calls to ease the lockdown including reopening schools until a new system to trace the spread of coronavirus is a proven success, according to two members of the government's scientific advisory council.

Sky News understands the government has been warned by advisers not to proceed until the "contact tracing" system is successful.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-lockdown-should-not-be-eased-until-track-and-trace-is-a-success-say-government-advisers-11991336

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Nah, I'm calling fake news on this one. We all know that the government's handling of the virus, especially the mistakes made, were all down to their stringent adherence to scientific advice, right? This is clearly just more media shizzle-stirring I'm afraid... Also, we can't be looking at contact-tracing either because we abandoned that months back, didn't we? Mind you, given some of their chosen advisers don't seem to know that February 30th isn't actually a thing, you'd not blame them if they'd had enough of experts, especially when all we need actually do is stay alert and it'll all be gravy.

Boris Johnson should resist calls to ease the lockdown including reopening schools until a new system to trace the spread of coronavirus is a proven success, according to two members of the government's scientific advisory council.

Sky News understands the government has been warned by advisers not to proceed until the "contact tracing" system is successful.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-lockdown-should-not-be-eased-until-track-and-trace-is-a-success-say-government-advisers-11991336

giphy.gif

I actually personally don't like you mocking Van Tam. I built the blokes extension. He's massively intelligent, hugely respected, done massive things for Nottingham University etc. He is tired. He's working massively long hours. Do you genuinely believe a hugely talented, intelligent bloke doesn't know he made a slip up? 

4 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

giphy.gif

How many members are on the scientific advisory group?

Personally, I'd say that the advice sounds sensible.

If it's only say 2 out of 20 members though, surely you would go with the other 18.

I dont know the answer to this by the way, hence asking the question.

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

If it's only say 2 out of 20 members though, surely you would go with the other 18.

48 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

RR cutting 9k jobs due to drop in demand for engines ☹️

Civil Aero in Derby to take the biggest hit, I have old mates there, Some who have young family members too, Not a good time for ALL concerned, 3rd party companies will be hit, Agency workers will be if not already let go, Staff(white collar)I would have thought will be the biggest portion circa 11K,  While there around 2.5k to 3k help to build the engines(blue collar)

3 minutes ago, TramRam said:

Civil Aero in Derby to take the biggest hit, I have old mates there, Some who have young family members too, Not a good time for ALL concerned, 3rd party companies will be hit, Agency workers will be if not already let go, Staff(white collar)I would have thought will be the biggest portion circa 11K,  While there around 2.5k to 3k help to build the engines(blue collar)

Yep, My brother works for Defense at RR and says they should be ok atm, It’s the Aero side getting hammered.

48 minutes ago, Norman said:

I actually personally don't like you mocking Van Tam. I built the blokes extension. He's massively intelligent, hugely respected, done massive things for Nottingham University etc. He is tired. He's working massively long hours. Do you genuinely believe a hugely talented, intelligent bloke doesn't know he made a slip up? 

I actually don't really care what you feel about me 'mocking' Van-Tam especially given your long history of mocking folk whose extensions you played no part in building.

Hope that clears things up! ?

8 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Yep, My brother works for Defense at RR and says they should be ok atm, It’s the Aero side getting hammered.

Senior Management will already have been told which areas to cut, VS will most likely be available, HR1s to be issued to those areas that are selected, Unions to be told, Convenor and his Deputy, Senior Stewards then filtered down to Stewards, A matrix will be used to filter the staff ie Absenteeism, On Job skills, Discipline record, Extra skill set, To encourage VS an extra monetary value will be added.

Not a great deal of work will be done this next few weeks as workers will be focussing on their position at RR

52 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

It was a tongue in cheek post G-Star which should have been evident from the enclosed gif. You are at liberty to make of it what you wish. What I would say is that the fact that only two advisers have gone on record as having advised against the return to school date, does not in any way imply that they were the only ones who felt it was premature, unless of course you can prove otherwise.

58 minutes ago, Norman said:

Have you been out drinking with him again? How many pints did he have. We need to be told.

13 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

It was a tongue in cheek post G-Star which should have been evident from the enclosed gif. You are at liberty to make of it what you wish. What I would say is that the fact that only two advisers have gone on record as having advised against the return to school date, does not in any way imply that they were the only ones who felt it was premature, unless of course you can prove otherwise.

No need for it to be tongue in cheek, it's a valid point to raise.

Who are the 2 that have gone on record?

16 hours ago, Archied said:

I know this won’t register with you but the truth is just like governments lots of people look at unions and feel their leadership s and actions are just not representative of them at all ,,, very sad but unions have played a part in their own demise and that’s from someone who grew up staunch union

Sorry to disappoint you by being all reasonable about it, but of course it registers with me

I am a UNITE  member and every month I wrestle with my conscience over whether it's worth the £14 a month subs. Because the big unions are horribly top heavy with management and bureaucracy, and I've rarely actually needed them in all my years of membership. I find a lot of what they do operationally to be questionable. So yeah, just like governments

But then I have to concede that it's a principle and imagining a world without unionised labour is actually pretty terrifying. So don't think for one minute that I don't see them for what they are. But if my subs go towards helping others fight for their rights against unscrupulous employers then I'm ok with that. Not so happy with it funding Len McCluskey having a fortnight on a beach in Cuba on a "fact-finding mission", but I can't do much about it other than resign my membership. But that doesn't do anything to protect my rights, or the rights of other members. It just makes us all worse off

Archived