The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

2 minutes ago, Archied said:

I know this won’t register with you but the truth is just like governments lots of people look at unions and feel their leadership s and actions are just not representative of them at all ,,, very sad but unions have played a part in their own demise and that’s from someone who grew up staunch union

Glad you are still posting in here Archie. I’ve got your back.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Glad you are still posting in here Archie. I’ve got your back.

Always going to post as it’s impossible to resist pointing out the flawed arguments and double standards of some then watching the swerve , ignore or downright vitriolic insults thrown as the only way out , also it’s constructive for me to hear other points of view as they can change my thinking as long as I remain able to listen , just a case of not falling for the insults trap a very few posters feel is acceptable as reasonable debate?

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Our council have advised to delay to the 15th June. We weren't going to put our kids back in school on June 1st anyway.

My friend who is a teacher doesn't want to go back on June 1st under current circumstances, though I get the impression she hates having to do the work from home. It's piss all to do with politics and everything to do with ensuring the safety of the kids and staff.

Would be interested what science your council have used to determine that 14 days will make a difference.

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

There isn't one member of the cabinet whose child/children (that they know of) is not in private education - and (as far as I am aware) no private schools are reopening until September.

"Do as I say, not as I do" appears to be the Tory mantra once again. Seeing as they are so keen at changing slogans, I fully expect next week's one to be "Die for the FTSE".

Do you have any evidence that not one cabinet members child is in state education?

I'd be interested to know where you'd find such facts, seeing as it would involve the data of minors.

2 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Do you have any evidence that not one cabinet members child is in state education?

I'd be interested to know where you'd find such facts, seeing as it would involve the data of minors.

Gove definitely sent one kid to a state school when he was education secretary. It made the news at the time. No other Tory education secretary had ever done so.

2 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Gove definitely sent one kid to a state school when he was education secretary. It made the news at the time. No other Tory education secretary had ever done so.

Yeah I saw that when looking, but drew a blank beyond that! 

It's hard enough searching the no-marks in the Cabinet, without looking up their kids too.

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

There isn't one member of the cabinet whose child/children (that they know of) is not in private education - and (as far as I am aware) no private schools are reopening until September.

"Do as I say, not as I do" appears to be the Tory mantra once again. Seeing as they are so keen at changing slogans, I fully expect next week's one to be "Die for the FTSE".

Do you know for a fact that no member of the cabinet has a child at a state school or is it just that you'd prefer to believe Alasdair Campbell's allegation rather than Gove's response?

You're may well be tempted to point out that Gove didn't mention which member(s) of the cabinet had a child at a state school but, I'm not sure that is sufficient evidence that he was not telling the truth. I wouldn't necessarily expect him to give specific personal details. 

Personally, I'm not sure I'd trust either of them. 

I'm not sure of the relevance of whether their kids are in private school or not. 

I personally don't believe they wouldn't relish the chance to make a huge show of sending their kids in to school if they could. 

Seems strange logic that anti-Tory posters are saying the cabinet are making decisions because it doesn't put themselves/family at risk, yet they are also complaining they have been actively encouraging/flaunting risk from the beginning (shaking hands in public) and half of them have already had it anyway. 

21 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Do you know for a fact that no member of the cabinet has a child at a state school or is it just that you'd prefer to believe Alasdair Campbell's allegation rather than Gove's response?

You're may well be tempted to point out that Gove didn't mention which member(s) of the cabinet had a child at a state school but, I'm not sure that is sufficient evidence that he was not telling the truth. I wouldn't necessarily expect him to give specific personal details. 

Personally, I'm not sure I'd trust either of them. 

If I had the money, my kids would be getting a private education.

Calling in to question a person's decision making ability, or even integrity, based on the fact that they've taken such a decision for their own children, would seem unfair.

Archived